FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 2 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Truck camper shell question

+5
fishntoss
HEADCASE881
Dano67
n2deepfsw
MASSfisher
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Truck camper shell question Empty Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:37 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have an 06 Tundra SR5 access cab. Im tired of keeping all my rods in the cab and using a cable lock to secure my float tube from some jacka$$ trying to steal it.

I guess what im asking is first off: does anybody know of a reliable place that sells used ones? Im not looking to dish out a TON of money but would still like something in nice condition.

Also, are they easy to install?

Final question: Are there any specific brands i should avoid or look out for as im searchingfor one. Like i said i dont wanna pay a ton of money but im still looking for something that isnt gonna leak and will perfectly fit the bed of my truck.

Thanks guys,

Brian

Last edited by MASSfisher on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

2Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:59 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Check out craigslist.

3Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I found this on craigslist.

4Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the link...i did look on craigslist and the only ones i found were white and silver...i forgot to mention my truck is black. Ill check out the link though thanks guys.

5Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:11 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yea the only one they have for my truck is white and looks like its for commercial use or something...has access spots on driver and passenger sides. I might give em a call anyways.

6Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Dano67

Dano67

Earl Sheib paint job for 69.99 paint that thing black!!!Access on the side would be nice, then you would not have to crawl in to get to the stuff in the middle Very Happy

7Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:49 pm

HEADCASE881

HEADCASE881
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

i paid 1500 for my leer but it matches perfectly to my truck paint job and make the truck look real nice

8Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:46 pm

fishntoss

fishntoss
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I found one at a local shell place here in Oxnard. Color was pretty close to my truck. Paid 900 for it. But that included install, wiring the brake light. Three months later my lock on the back window broke and they fixed it for free..Year later my brake light went out and that cost me..also the clear-coat they sprayed on is peeling off the top. It does leak around the rear hatch while driving..not much tho..For the most part it has done pretty well..

I too kinda like the idea of the side doors. I don't have one and hate crawling forward to get something. I had to put a bar across the back so what I do put in it, stays in the back..

If I had the money I'd like to have one of those 4wheel pop top campers.. Thumbs Up

9Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:10 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:Yea the only one they have for my truck is white and looks like its for commercial use or something...has access spots on driver and passenger sides. I might give em a call anyways.
You can also try ecology, pick-a-part places like that you might get lucky or they can call other places for you to check. Worth a shot.

10Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:10 pm

fishslayer

fishslayer
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

most places that sell shells also sell used ones, I had to call around to several until I found the right shell.

11Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the help guys. Tomorrow im gonna look around and try to get one...i migbt get a tonneau cover though just because they seem a lot cheaper. I didnt realize theyd cost my $900 and $1700.....i saw some decent ones on craigslist for like $400 but that is the most ill pay....a tenneau cover is cheaper and will get the job done.

12Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The down side to a tonneau cover is sometimes depending on how they mount and fit they will rub the paint off the bed or tear the sheet metal at the hinge mounting points.

A shell or a cover will leak unless you silicone the seams along the top edge of your bed and make sure you get a good weather stripping between the shell or cover and the bed. If you have a bedliner drill a couple drain holes in it so if it does leak the water won't pool up inside and you find all your stuff floating around after a heavy rain or wash.

Most shell places include install in the price. Since your car is black you may want to look into getting the shell or cover bedliner spray instead of painting. More durable and you don't have to worry so much about carrying gear on top of it. I plan to bedliner the top of my shell when the paint starts to go.

The cheapest place I found for a new shrll or cover was from bel air shells in garden grove [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . They were cheaper and alot of things other places charged extra for they included in the price. Nice guys they sell used and new shells and covers only thing is their installs can be a bit sloppy so you may want to watch when they do it or recheck everything before you leave. I ended up repositioning my shell brackets/clamps to better locations and upgrading from 4 to 6.

13Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:18 pm

miller81

miller81
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

You can go to walmart and buy a bed liner. Comes in a kit and you can do it your self. My buddy did it and it turned out great.

14Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:42 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Man wish i just bought a truck that already had one....this is startin to be a pita looking for the right one.

Gonna make some calls today and id hope that if they sold they would know how to install them. I already have a plastic liner in the bed of my truck....a leak would not be cool though. Hopefully i can get a good quality one thatll keel my stuff dry.

15Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Quality isn't the issue, you have to silicone up the seams on your bed before you put the shell on and use a couple layers of weather stripping between the shell and the bed when you install it.

If you bought one that already had one you would still have to pull it off and seal it up then put it back on. Trust me never buy someone elses handy work because people's quality of work and what is acceptable in general sucks!

16Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:15 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Man got busy today (had to fish) and didnt get a chance to look around or call any places...maybe later this week.

Thanks fot all the help and advice guys...ya'll are awesome!

17Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:48 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Where did you fish?

18Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:28 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Harbor island for a few hours while the sun went down...caught a few lizard fish and thats it. Had two nice hits in the same spot...one hit produced a swim grub cut clean in half....hali?

19Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:46 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey is a camper shell for 200 or best offer

20Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:47 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

again 1 more for 280

21Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:50 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

250 or 300 the guys are confused

22Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:51 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

23Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:52 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

the price us right but no pic $100

24Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:54 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

$100

25Truck camper shell question Empty Re: Truck camper shell question Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:55 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ok jeff i am not trying to catch you in posting

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum