FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BigMaxFloats Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

» Beach closure
by jeffcpr Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:01 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rod Holder Modifications and a few questions

+15
BigMaxFloats
Jerdon
Fluke
SP Dan
jeffcpr
Bullgill66
bassfishing24/7
Kelster
.:LOLLY:.
sonarbp
wiseguy
Hammer 4
n2deepfsw
Docrunner
motorazr
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I found this link to a rod holder set of plans [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and want to know if there is any advantage in either setting the rod holders at an angle like I have seen on some setups or straight up and down.
Is there any advantage to rigging the frame across both sides? What changes would you make to this setup?
Does the net get in the way with the holder behind the seat or should it be placed on one side?

that is a good design and well proven.
for myself, I have my rod holder on my left side of tube with FF, they are straight up, my net just set in back of my tube. right side is clear and free for casting.

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That's my set-up, and I like it. It's modular and comes apart pretty easily.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I put TWO of these holders in the rear linkage arm, and offset them so I could put 2 rods or a rod and a net, or something like that. Honestly, I don't use these 2 holders much. I keep my net in the pouch behind my seat back.

The design described is great.. but I modified the segments and lengths once I had my Cumberland inflated.
I did some of it by eye, so sorry.. I do not have any exact measurements of where to make your PVC cuts. I
think it came out ok, and has worked great, but it does have considerable FLEX, as this is only 1/2" PVC.
It does have structural stability as it is a frame on both sides with a reinforcing rear cross-linkage arm.
But.. you could easily do this design with 1" or even 1.5" PVC and it would be A LOT more rigid, and probably
not incredibly more weight.

Good luck!!

FYI - 1-1/4" is prefect size for your rod holds. 1-1/2" is alittle too large and your rods move around alot.

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

miller wrote:FYI - 1-1/4" is prefect size for your rod holds. 1-1/2" is alittle too large and your rods move around alot.
X2

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

miller wrote:FYI - 1-1/4" is prefect size for your rod holds. 1-1/2" is alittle too large and your rods move around alot.

Unless you use swimbait rods. Most 7'6" or longer rods need the 1 1/2". As for mine I have the KISS set up.. green happy

here is my set-up. easy and simple and holds everything I need. Rods dont bounce around either.

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Does anyone have any pics of the cumberland rod holders as well as the drink holders? Are they any use or only for looks?

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Here is my Cumberland setup. Works good. Angled rod holders because I fish under bridges most of the time. Twisted Evil

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

wiseguy wrote:Here is my Cumberland setup. Works good. Angled rod holders because I fish under bridges most of the time. Twisted Evil

Very nice Wiseguy! Very clean and well designed. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have seen a few designs where the PVC tube has been filled with sand and molded to fit the top curve of the float using a heat gun. I.E. the side frame extends up the side of the tube at either end and is curved over the float like a coat hanger hook. Does this design affect the use of the tube or put any extra pressure on the air bladder?
Nice designs guys thanks for the input and pics.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I just use one of these rod holders on my caddis float tube.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

At the top mounting holes I placed eye-bolts on the backside. I use carabiner's to attach to existing d-rings. Then I ran a bungee cord from the bottom of the rod holder under the tube and attached to a d-ring on the inside.

I also use one of these

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have that set up on my tube with a couple of mods. I like the angled setup as my shoulders are bad and I troll most of the time. Forget the net holder in the back, it takes up too much room. It is a good template and the measurements are pretty close.

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well made a start on the rod holder, I've attached a quick release kayak rod holder to a piece of horizontal pvc at the front of the frame bit of an experiment so will see how it goes. Still have to attach anchor points straps for the frame and final position the quick release rod holder.
I've put a drain plug in at the bottom riht handside of the holder. Once glued the rod holder should sit closer to the gear bag.

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good idea motorazr with the mini paddle,i was thinking of something like that in case i get caught in rough waters!

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yes, it is actually a telescopic paddle. Unlocks to about a metre (3ft) long and folded seems to fit ok along the inside velcro near the packs. I suppose only a wet run will show if it gets in the way and needs moving.

17Rod Holder Modifications and a few questions Empty mods Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 pm

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well almost finished, all i need is to fit the clips and straps to hold it in place. Will be getting a 1.5lb kayak anchor and make up a fish bag from a pool noodle and mesh laindry bag. thanks fellas for the assistance given along the way, it was much appreciated.

Bullgill66

Bullgill66
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I made a pvc rod holder for my float tube it took a couple of attempts. The rod holder where th rods were over my head did not work.  I cut them off and reattached them lower for a much better set up.  I would like to thank my brother for all of his ideas.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya bro that look great I am really thinking I need to get my Roughneck on the water. I like your rod holder idea I will look into it as well.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

SP Dan

SP Dan

jeffcpr wrote:Ya bro that look great I am really thinking I need to get my Roughneck on the water.  I like your rod holder idea I will look into it as well.

Yes you do Jeff! Thumbs Up
Will you be designing a rod rack for your new ride?

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Fluke

FTFF Gathering Officer

Bought this Guideline Drifter Evolution (a Drifter with built-in oars) a month ago, really like it. Decided to built some kind of holder for 2 rods but instead of any plastic pipe structures, I wanted:
- Something more "light"
- That would still keep the reel-ends ~about dry
- Leave some space for a tackle bag behind the seat
- Set the rods pointing to the left, since I cast from my right.

This is what came up. The material is quite strong foam with a rubber coating for to provide some extra durability. The first picture is from the position planning phase, next ones when the mods are installed with elastic construction glue / mass.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Fluke wrote:Bought this Guideline Drifter Evolution (a Drifter with built-in oars) a month ago, really like it. Decided to built some kind of holder for 2 rods but instead of any plastic pipe structures, I wanted:
- Something more "light"

This is what came up. The material is quite strong foam with a rubber coating for to provide some extra durability. The first picture is from the position planning phase, next ones when the mods are installed with elastic construction glue / mass.

Very nice.
Where did you get the "foam with a rubber coating"? I hope to hear some reports on how durable this set up is.

Before I met this group I was on a round doughnut tube. Two fly rods across my lap. One sinking one floating set up. I did change up to spinning and baitcasters for chasing the bass eventually.

Thanks for sharing.

Fluke

FTFF Gathering Officer

Jerdon wrote:Very nice.
Where did you get the "foam with a rubber coating"? I hope to hear some reports on how durable this set up is.

Before I met this group I was on a round doughnut tube. Two fly rods across my lap. One sinking one floating set up. I did change up to spinning and baitcasters for chasing the bass eventually.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I missed a word there, the rubber coating is a rubber glue coating:D 2 layers of Casco rubber glue, applied with a rubber protective glove on top of the foam. The first version I made, I used more layers and wasn't happy with it, it made the foam a bit too stiff. Now with 2 layers, maybe 1 millimeter max in total or so it feels like it is giving more strength for the foam surface, but still being flexible enough. The mod was just finished yesterday so I haven't really tried it in real (on water), but tomorrow will do.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Man that is a great design well done, and my I say that is a great way to introducer yourself really I mean it. Welcome to the Forum and we look forward to reading more form you in the future.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

SP Dan

SP Dan

Fluke wrote:Bought this Guideline Drifter Evolution (a Drifter with built-in oars) a month ago, really like it. Decided to built some kind of holder for 2 rods but instead of any plastic pipe structures, I wanted:
- Something more "light"

First of all ... welcome aboard the forum!
I’m glade that you found the site.

Thank you very much for posting up your new ride with your DIY project photos. Very creative!

I honestly look forward to reading many more fishing reports from you in the not so distant future Sir! Thumbs Up

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum