FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

» Post by jmytuna in Umbrella rig
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where can I fish on a float tube? (noob with a specific example/run-in with cop)

+6
Wes79v
Lok Dog
ed5000x
StCroixFan
kg562
JoCoFloater
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

JoCoFloater

FTFF Gathering Officer

Alright, I have a question on where exactly I am allowed to use my float tube. I should say first that I live in Kansas but I'm almost positive there isnt anything about Kansas' float tube regulations that are different or stand out from any other state.

So here's the deal, I went out for just my second time ever in a float tube at a community lake out here in Kansas that allows fishing in boats and even says canoes. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt that automatically mean you can fish in a float tube too? So I get out there, make 3 casts, and a cop pulls up gets out and walks to where I'm fishing and says, "There's no swimming in this lake". I immediately reply (keep in mind I have a fishing rod in my hand), "Oh, I'm not swimming, I'm float tube fishing". He proceeds to throw a hissy fit literally yelling, "I SAID GET OUT SO GET OUT!!" I then said that I was sorry and I didnt think there would be an issue which then he proceeded to yell back that there was going to be an issue when he issues me a $100 ticket (what?!). After a little back and forth where he clearly didnt understand what I was doing I begrudgingly had to finally leave.

So my question is, arent I allowed to use a float tube to fish in a lake that allows fishing on boats and canoes? As you know lake regulations never mention float tubes either way because they just arent very common, so its just implied that it falls into those categories right? I think the issue is the cop had never seen a float tuber before and clearly had no idea what I was doing (hence the original swimming comment).

I just want to know from people here who are more familiar with float tube rules that I was in the right before I say anything to the police dept and go back and try it again.

Anyways, I drove to another nearby community lake and caught a 6'3" channelcat while fishing with a crankbait for bass. It definitely tugged me around for a little while.

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Not exactly sure where you can tube exactly because i always fished on saltwater and haven't tried tubing in a lake, I always go fish in the bay area where the water is most calm and i haven't had anyone come bother or ask me to leave the water. Lakes could be different but maybe that cop you seen just never seen a tuber before and has no idea what its about.

StCroixFan

StCroixFan
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have a similar problem where I live. I asked at a local lake if they allowed float tubes and I got the strangest look. I think they thought I meant a intertube type float tube. The tire style. I explained it's specifically designed for fishing but I still don't think they got it. One person said is it a belly boat? They said those are allowed. I just said yes it was. I've never heard them called that before.

http://fishwithkev.blogspot.com

StCroixFan

StCroixFan
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

To answer you question though. I believe they are allowed anywhere away from swimming areas and designated areas for water skiing.

http://fishwithkev.blogspot.com

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The rules depend on the place and some place do not know what a float tube is so just investigate the local rule of were you would like to save your self a lot of trouble

Lok Dog

Lok Dog
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

WTF! I'm never gonna fish in Kansas lol

https://www.facebook.com/lokey.rincon

Wes79v

FTFF Gathering Officer

I don't think that is too much different than some lakes here in Cal where there is no bodily contact allowed. Pretty much if you can water ski you should be able to tube I would imagine. Don't send me your tickets if I'm wrong! Red Smile

JoCoFloater

FTFF Gathering Officer

Update: I called the fisheries biologist in charge of the lake and he said float tube fishing is perfectly legal at this place. The cop was just on a power trip. The biologist called the city hall and police department (this is very small town Kansas) to inform them that what I was doing was legal and all that.

I wish Cops would just leave that stuff up to wildlife officers. They are really clueless on that type of stuff. Totally ruined my trip which was a couple hours round trip.

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

awesome tell that cop to shove it next time u see him haha most lakes in cali r drinking water so thats y we cant float alot of are lakes might be same way in kansas but if it does say anything about no water contact then START FISHIN IT and good luck

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I hate when cops r on power trips,were only fisherman not criminals!!! Dont they have better things to do like hang out at the local donut shop?!!! Razz

vortec_cruiser

vortec_cruiser
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

From your story, the cop evidently didn't know the regulations. But regardless, when an officer of the law tells you to get out of the water, you do as requested. After that, you can argue your case.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That was funny but upsetting at the same time, sorry you had such a rough trip. I am very glad to hear that your biologist was willing to stick up for you, and is on your side. Just call the lakes before you go so you know if it is clear to float tube or (use Belly Boats) before you head out there. Or I guess you can call the biologist and get a list of lakes you can tube might be a better idea. Oh by the way welcome to the forum thanks for the story.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum