FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Umbrella rig
by jmytuna Yesterday at 9:49 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:27 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube Kick Technique

+11
Devil Dog
soonernick
JsFishSlayer
bodfish
monkeee2002
Free2Fish
Chomps
bassfishing24/7
motorazr
Aquaholic38
MenyoG
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Float Tube Kick Technique Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 pm

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I have been pondering if there is a more efficient kick technique than what I currently using.

Currently, I just start with both my feet dangling straight down. With one foot I kick straight up, stopping before I break the water's surface. As I bring the first foot back down the other is on its way up, and so on

I know Lolly uses a different technique than I do. He described as a bicycle type of kick. I couldn't copy it, especially as tired as I was at the time he described it.

I searched the net for kick techniques but came up pretty much dry. Anybody have any insight for me?

Thanks,
Manuel

2Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

there`s diferent techinques??? scratch

3Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:22 am

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yeh, I have two techniques. Thrash my feet around and go fast till I get a cramp then stop and scream in agony. lol!
Don't catch many fish but I sure do get around!

4Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 am

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Get long Fins,they will help.

5Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I kick both my feet at the same time just like a dolphins tail it helps scare away sharks Very Happy Lmao jk

6Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Free2Fish

Free2Fish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Has anyone worked out a way to turn fast? I've read that some guys turn by kicking just one fin but that technique just keeps me going pretty well straight. I'm getting better at turning but have no idea what I really do. I somehow twist my body and kick from the side...I think. LOL!

http://ichthyolatry.blogspot.ca/

7Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 pm

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I find that if I twist my hips a little bit, it allows me to kick at a bit of an angle, rather than just "up & down". That gets me turned pretty quick.

8Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
This is actually a more pertinent question then some may think,.. and the answer is YES there are different kicking techniques.

Floattubes are all about YOU and how you are able to make your toob work for you, as a boat and a fishing platform. Perhaps no other boating device afloat is like this. How your toob performs is about how tall you are, how heavy you are, what shape you are, what shape you are in!, etc., etc., So YES there are different kicking techniques.

1) THE LONG KICK,...
whenever you need to reach a long distance destination one of the first kicks you will naturally learn is the Long Kick. It basically is a kick that requires you to lean back in your seat as far as you can so you can utilize as long a kick as you can. Keeping it leisurely and paced so as not to fatigue. Rotating your hips helps to utilize the long muscles of your thighs and reduce fatigue.

2) THE SPEED KICK,...
Particularly when fighting BIG fish or dodging conventional boat traffic, it's when you need that quick burst of speed. Lean as far back as possible pressing both hands (or your elbows if your hands are full of fishing pole and big fish) down hard on the toob, (you need to get your ass off the seat to reduce drag, and transfer your weight to the outer, flotation of the toob), and kick with stiff upper legs and fluid calves and ankles.

3) THE IDLING KICK,...
or the Ankle Kick,... This is the kick that you will use most of the time when you are fishing and you need to maintain position against wind and current. Short strokes from the knees down keeping your fin tips fairly deep, very leisurely,concentrating on the upstroke. (Lolly's bicycle kick?)

4) THE TURNING KICK,...
This is an interesting kick that water polo players and synchronized swimmers use to turn on a dime. You spread your legs wide and kick your legs in circles.Clockwise to go left, counter to go right. If you do it right you should be able to turn 180 degrees in your own diameter with one kick.

5) THE BACK-UP (kicking for forward motion)
This was a kick that was easier in the good ol', bad ol' days of the round tube. You lean as far forward as you can, keeping your fin tips deep and under or behind you, and step as if climbing a flight of stairs, concentrating on the downstroke.

6) THE QUARTERING KICK
This is for quartering, You kick one leg slowly, with long shallow strokes and with the other, short strokes with your leg half again as deep. ( this one is a *&@#* to learn, sort of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time, but is extremely valuable when fishing, downwind, and across)

Boatmanship and position, is in my mind crucial to fishing success and especially in a toob knowing any or all of the best ways to propel yourself and maneuver, the better.

bodfish

PS FINS,FINS,FINS,.... Because everything I have just mentioned is predicated on the type fins you use in my humble opinion,....
Long soft fins (diving fins) ,.. good for speed, long runs, and better for fatigue prevention,...
Short fins,... good for maneuverability and quickness,and extremely valuable in shallow or densely weeded areas,
Best fishing fins? Force Fins! hands down.

There are simple answers to why short, stiff, forked, fins are superior to long soft dive fins for toobing and tooning. But that is another discussion.

9Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:24 am

Free2Fish

Free2Fish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Wow, great stuff bodfish! I'm anxious to try out those turning instructions but may have to wait until I hit the salt in December.

Thanks,
Harry

http://ichthyolatry.blogspot.ca/

10Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 am

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
Hey guys,
This is actually a more pertinent question then some may think,.. and the answer is YES there are different kicking techniques.

Floattubes are all about YOU and how you are able to make your toob work for you, as a boat and a fishing platform. Perhaps no other boating device afloat is like this. How your toob performs is about how tall you are, how heavy you are, what shape you are, what shape you are in!, etc., etc., So YES there are different kicking techniques.

1) THE LONG KICK,...
whenever you need to reach a long distance destination one of the first kicks you will naturally learn is the Long Kick. It basically is a kick that requires you to lean back in your seat as far as you can so you can utilize as long a kick as you can. Keeping it leisurely and paced so as not to fatigue. Rotating your hips helps to utilize the long muscles of your thighs and reduce fatigue.

2) THE SPEED KICK,...
Particularly when fighting BIG fish or dodging conventional boat traffic, it's when you need that quick burst of speed. Lean as far back as possible pressing both hands (or your elbows if your hands are full of fishing pole and big fish) down hard on the toob, (you need to get your ass off the seat to reduce drag, and transfer your weight to the outer, flotation of the toob), and kick with stiff upper legs and fluid calves and ankles.

3) THE IDLING KICK,...
or the Ankle Kick,... This is the kick that you will use most of the time when you are fishing and you need to maintain position against wind and current. Short strokes from the knees down keeping your fin tips fairly deep, very leisurely,concentrating on the upstroke. (Lolly's bicycle kick?)

4) THE TURNING KICK,...
This is an interesting kick that water polo players and synchronized swimmers use to turn on a dime. You spread your legs wide and kick your legs in circles.Clockwise to go left, counter to go right. If you do it right you should be able to turn 180 degrees in your own diameter with one kick.

5) THE BACK-UP (kicking for forward motion)
This was a kick that was easier in the good ol', bad ol' days of the round tube. You lean as far forward as you can, keeping your fin tips deep and under or behind you, and step as if climbing a flight of stairs, concentrating on the downstroke.

6) THE QUARTERING KICK
This is for quartering, You kick one leg slowly, with long shallow strokes and with the other, short strokes with your leg half again as deep. ( this one is a *&@#* to learn, sort of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time, but is extremely valuable when fishing, downwind, and across)

Boatmanship and position, is in my mind crucial to fishing success and especially in a toob knowing any or all of the best ways to propel yourself and maneuver, the better.

bodfish

PS FINS,FINS,FINS,.... Because everything I have just mentioned is predicated on the type fins you use in my humble opinion,....
Long soft fins (diving fins) ,.. good for speed, long runs, and better for fatigue prevention,...
Short fins,... good for maneuverability and quickness,and extremely valuable in shallow or densely weeded areas,
Best fishing fins? Force Fins! hands down.

There are simple answers to why short, stiff, forked, fins are superior to long soft dive fins for toobing and tooning. But that is another discussion.

This just saved me and I'm sure a lot of us noobs a bunch of time and trolling around here or elsewhere a lot.

Thanks Bodfish

https://www.facebook.com/FishSlayerJoshS

11Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 am

soonernick

FTFF Gathering Officer

+1 This is some great info!

12Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:11 pm

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Hey Bodfish,

Thanks for the very informative and detailed reply.

I started this thread and somehow lost track of things.

Glad somebody brought it up so I could catch up.

Manuel

13Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Devil Dog

Devil Dog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey free2fish I'd say go to a body of water and just try different ways, after a while it'll come second nature, you'll be surprised what just turning your foot a different way or even doing circles with one fin. We all have our own opinions but long fins kill me, I want to get shorter buy wider fins like force fins or hot spot. I'm still using the browning fins I bought over 18 years ago, just these last 4 years or so I got more into tubing and now looking for a "deal" on fins.

14Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:09 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah!! you'll find your pace. Take it easy at first. You dont want to burn all your energy on the way out to find out the wind has picked up on the way back and start cramping, cause there is nowhere to go!! I own a pair of force fins and love them.

15Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:43 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Super post bodkin, or bodyshot, or whatever your name... ah, there it is : bodfish.

Thanks for the information. Newbs like me love it!

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

16Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Fri May 30, 2014 11:15 pm

JOER210

JOER210
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Good stuff Thanks a lot bodfish

17Float Tube Kick Technique Empty Re: Float Tube Kick Technique Fri May 30, 2014 11:34 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Where the hell was I when this first went up dam that is great info. I have often wondered am I doing the kick right well now I know No I am not  scratch 
I think this is very important info we need to get this out to more people thanks bodfish and everyone else thanks.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum