FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shotguns and Garfish

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shotguns and Garfish Empty Shotguns and Garfish Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:06 pm

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thought I might share a story of one of my fishing experiences when I was about 14 years old. Let me say first up that Guns and alcohol DON'T mix but s..t happens sometimes.

One summer saturday evening my old man and his neighbour (deceased now RIP), had been drinking most of the afternoon in my neighbours garage, as they were want to do most weekends.
Some where along the way a decision was reached that they should go spearfishing/wading for flounder in the shallows at a local beach as the tides were right. This entailed towing a car battery inside a car innertube and this in turn attached to small waterproof light shone under the water and onto the sand.
The flounder could be seen in the sand, enabling them to be speared and the glow of the light usually brought in a few garfish and squid which usually appeared just under the surface of the water and the garfish could be hit with the other end of the spear, stunning them.

My brother who was 12 at the time and myself were told we were going also and as I knew they might need watching I agreed to go.
The car was loaded with the gear and dad had disappeared over into our backyard momentarily, our next door neighbour winked at me and said as he dug a double barrel shotgun out from under the workbench "we need this for the garfish" and placed it under a rug in the boot of the car.
I knew enough to think at the time that if a garfish got hit by that, there wouldn't be much left to eat.
I did try to disuade him but fuelled by grog there was no turning him back from his somewhat flawed and dubious decision.

Dad reappeared and with all of us sitting in the car off we went.

Arriving at the beach the gear was unpacked and Dad and my bro took off, I had decided to go with the next door neighbour to keep an eye on him, and I was still unable to disuade him from taking the shotgun with him onto the water.
We waded in the semi darkness lit by the glow of the small lamp and after about a fruitless hour of walking in the shallows a young lad of about 16 or 17 appeared on the beach.

Now the area we were in was pitch black out on the water and the beach was only dimly lit from street lights in the distance from the street so we could see the lad but he couldn't see us apart from the light moving in the shallow water.
A dialogue sprang up as he called out had we caught any thing and the neighbour, who had a habit of addressing anyone he spoke to as "knackers" respoded with a boozey reply.

Some how, and I don't recall exactly how the discussion turned into a humerous slanging match, between the youth on the beach and my next door neighbour, but the words "if you don't p.. off I'll shoot you" were uttered, as the neighbour was growing tired of the parley. I knew that the neighbour was joking and would never have shot him and the youth on the beach certainly didn't take this threat seriously, as who would have a shotgun down the beach?
Well at that moment in time the neighbour yelled "well cop this" and let fly with one shot to the water, which sprayed up and over me.
The shot rang out over the water in the still evening like a cannon shot. All pandemonium broke loose and the youth just about crapped himself and was last seen bolting up a side track off the beach.
In the darkness the words "what the f.. was that" could be heard coming from my father, by brother was laughing that much he was almost in the water and I was partially deaf from the gun shot.

I think the ensuing quick departure from the area was partly due to the fact that a lot of lights started to be turned on in surrounding homes and the distinct possibilty of the local constabulary making an appearance, helped in the packing of the vehicle.

I never did get to see how garfish were caught using a shot gun but it led to an experience I have never forgotten and a good story to be told to my kids around a campfire.

By the way I used to call my neighbour 'Mad Ron' as this was only one of many experiences had with my neighbour.
affraid

2Shotguns and Garfish Empty Re: Shotguns and Garfish Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:14 pm

jesusbm562

jesusbm562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Very Happy Shocked Thumbs Up

3Shotguns and Garfish Empty Re: Shotguns and Garfish Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:27 pm

.:LOLLY:.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That's some crazy stuff and a good read. Good thing everyone was ok. I had a totally different ending in my mind as I was reading the story.

4Shotguns and Garfish Empty Re: Shotguns and Garfish Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yeh, it could have turned out totally different under other circumstances. Mad Ron taught me how to drive in his daughters old VW, at one stage the VW was going around a corner on two wheels...but that's another story.

As far as "crazy stuff" goes Lolly, I spent 3 years in an all male mess in Alice Springs (the outback) in the late seventies and some crazy stuff happened there, I can tell you.
I would have been about twenty at the time. One of the young studs in the mess had been having relations with a married woman and one night while driving home across a causeway, someone? had taken a pot shot at his car which went through the rear door.
Needless to say he bolted back to the mess and couldn't see why, we all saw the funny side to his predicament.
He locked himself in his room for the night and the rest of us, being slightly inebriated and not fully rational, and also not wanting to get shot, decided it might be a good idea to put signage inside the mess directing any callers during the night to his room.
Needless to say when he woke up the next morning he wasn't too impressed with our efforts.

5Shotguns and Garfish Empty Re: Shotguns and Garfish Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lol! Sounds like good times

6Shotguns and Garfish Empty Re: Shotguns and Garfish Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:29 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey guys,
good, bad or otherwise, a good story is just that, ... a good story!

bodfish

hmmm,... I feel a good string of stories coming on,... hee, hee, ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum