FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big swimbaits???

+5
Hammer 4
FishinPhil
Fisher
jeffcpr
MASSfisher
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Big swimbaits??? Empty Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:14 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Okay...i want it. Need to catch some stripers and and double digit bass this year.

Bought a Spro BBZ swimbait (floater) last night.

Spooled my new Revo Toro 50hs with 50# power pro (I definitely need a mono/fluro leader....how big?).

Put the reel on an Okuma Guide series swimbait rod. Rater for 15-30 pounds with a 1-6oz lure rating.

Is this gonna get the done?

Anything else I need to know or should buy?

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

2Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:40 am

All you need now is to get out there and fish

3Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:10 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Patience brother have paitence you got it all just need the time on the water.

P.S. don't you dare for get the camera.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:58 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i would go with a dif swimbait but that one isnt bad and for the line i would need to no what size bait u got if u got the 8in i wold go with 20 or 25lb test get a stupid hudd also they r proven baits that get bite just about anywhere and good luck it is fun

5Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 am

FishinPhil

FishinPhil
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

MASSfisher wrote:Okay...i want it. Need to catch some stripers and and double digit bass this year.

Bought a Spro BBZ swimbait (floater) last night.

Spooled my new Revo Toro 50hs with 50# power pro (I definitely need a mono/fluro leader....how big?).

Put the reel on an Okuma Guide series swimbait rod. Rater for 15-30 pounds with a 1-6oz lure rating.

Is this gonna get the done?

Anything else I need to know or should buy?

Go with the smallest lb. flouro you can get by with. 10,12 or 14 is a good bet. I usually run a 24 inch leader.

Last edited by FishinPhil on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Fisher wrote:i would go with a dif swimbait but that one isnt bad and for the line i would need to no what size bait u got if u got the 8in i wold go with 20 or 25lb test get a stupid hudd also they r proven baits that get bite just about anywhere and good luck it is fun

Cool im gonna check some of those baits out today. Am i fine with braid as long as I use a mono/fluro leader or topshot?

Its easier to cast mono but i bought this reek to double as a calico kelp cutter so that explains the braid.

7Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

For any floating swimbait, 55 to 70lb braid works fine, no leader needed. Braid floats, so the bait stays where it's suppose to. Adding a leader just adds to the risk of a snap off during casting.

I agree, get a couple of 8" Hudds, and don't limit all your baits to floaters.. Wink

For sinking baits, be it a slow sink, or fast, I would go with 25 lb. fluro, or a copoly, mono stretches too much imho.

8Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks everyone for the pointers!

Hammer....it seems a bit weird fishing a realistic trout bait with strait braid...it doesn't spook the fish at all?

And do ya'll think I need floaters or slow sinkers...or both...and when to throw them. Wow I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to these big swimbaits.

And.....

has anybody done this fishing from a float tube? Or is it more of a shore/boat thing only?

9Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:21 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Man I a sure you can do it from a Tube, just get ready for a ride around the lake if you get a big boy Thumbs Up

10Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:15 pm

aj7798

aj7798
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use 25lb big game for my swim baits, its my favorite line for them!

11Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:30 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

OK not trying to hijack this thread I offerd to post some pictures of some Striper lures that we can pour for you swimbait guys.
10" Eel
7" swimbait
9" swimbait

12Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 pm

FishinPhil

FishinPhil
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Now those are some big baits.

13Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 am

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:Thanks everyone for the pointers!

Hammer....it seems a bit weird fishing a realistic trout bait with strait braid...it doesn't spook the fish at all?

And do ya'll think I need floaters or slow sinkers...or both...and when to throw them. Wow I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to these big swimbaits.

And.....

has anybody done this fishing from a float tube? Or is it more of a shore/boat thing only?

Braid won't spook a fish, it's the bait that they key in on. If your flippin in heavy weeds, chances are you use straight braid to avoid hang ups, and so you can pull the fish out of the weeds.

You can use floaters, slow and fast sinkers, depending on how, and where your fishing. Around shallow points, ect. try a floater, deeper structure a slowsink works well, for Deep water, like at DVL a fast sink would be the ticket.

Weather conditions play a part in which lure to use, glassy but early morning, start with a floater, no bites, then work your way down the water column. if there's any chop on the water, go with a floater. Also the slammers work well for stripers.

As for throwing Big baits from a tube, in my case my shoulders get tired pretty quick, all because you just don't have the leverage like you do when standing up, this would be for long cast's, for shorter cast's, it's no problem, although I find my cast's aren't as accurate in the tube.

14Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

from a tube is no prob but ya u just cant get that good cast most the time

15Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:05 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey MASSfisher,

Spent many years throwing these monsters. Blew out both my shoulders doing it. That's why I really can't throw them anymore. There are so many good baits on the market it blows my mind. I still like the Huds cuz to my mind they swim really well, look really realistic, and can be modified the easiest for better hook ratios. I could spend a month telling you all the tips and tricks, but I will keep it down to the few I think are most important.

1) I would suggest you start with the floating baits first, because they are the easiest to learn how to use. (and they are a bit easier to cast and the most fun bite!)

2) Test and modify the bait to your liking. Make sure you are happy with how it swims, and that the hooks are big enough and sharp enough.

3) Learn how to cast it!! You want to be able to put 75 to 100 feet or longer on this baby, and most importantly you need to be accurate and learn how to deliver it QUIETLY! You do not want it to land with a heavy splash but more like a shallow splat! Much like a pitch bait you cast with a tight line and slow the baits entry into the water at the last moment using the rod and line tension. This is especially important when short casting to shallow water or bedding fish.

4) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! LEARN WHERE THE BIG FISH LIVE, LIKE TO FEED, AND HANG OUT. In every lake there are a select few places where big fish hang, and it is your duty to figure out where these places are. Here's a short list that has never failed me no matter where I have fished.
A) deep water high spots. These are the tops of hills in deep water well offshore. Most are well beneath the water and only found with a good map and meter. One of my favorites at Castaic rises to 20 feet deep at it's peak and slopes into 60-80 on all sides. Oh did I mention it is covered with hardwood trees?
B) Saddles, The high ridges or connecting structure between two high spots.
C) Launch ramps. Big fish love launch ramps! I think you can guess why.
D) Large submerged flats that break sharply into deep water. No brainer here.
E) High current points. Every lake has points but there are a select few that experience high current flow (usually due to prevailing wind and or water inflow.) These are big fish magnets!
F) Creek or river Inlets, pump or siphon outflows.

5) TIMING!! Big fish are not very active, in fact for the most part they are very lazy. So,... when they do need, or have to be active, you need to be there!
here is a short list of the best times to be there when they are....
A) The spawn. no brainer here.
B) Night (especially a few days before the full moon cycle)
C) Periods of high bait concentration. This occurs twice a year here in SoCal.
D) THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT I WILL MAKE REGARDING "TIMING",....
Low light. Obviously early morning and/or evening but most importantly when falling pressure or an approaching weather front produces low cloud cover. Low cloud cover and falling BP are perhaps the most important key circumstances that stimulate big fish to become more approachable than any other circumstances that I know. There is an entire article that I could write regarding why, but suffice to say that if you want to catch a big fish you better be on the water when it's pre-front! ( the few hours prior to it raining).

6) THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL!!!! BIG FISH, FISHING IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN OTHER TYPES OF FISHING.
Ok,... I am sure you have heard me say this before but it is the most important thing you must learn if you really want to catch big fish regularly. And I do, (want to catch big fish regularly). Big fish are slower, harder to provoke, they have a larger memory bank to draw from, they are lazy, they require more sustenance for less effort,
they are less competitive than smaller fish, they are much more highly territorial then smaller fish, they key on structure, weather, light, temperature, BP, and bait much more keenly than smaller fish,.... All these things make them, very predictable, (not necessarily catchable ) and highly approachable.Big fish, fishing is a philosophy, a mind set, a learned technique. So,....Spend your time, (and you will spend a great deal of time) hone your mechanics, (because poor mechanics will cost you fish) sharpen and condition your concentration level, (you need to be as sharp as the first cast as on you 500th). You are fishing for the upper 2% of the fish swimming in the lake, and you will probably fish for two bites out of 500 casts on an average day. But it is well worth it!

bodfish ooops got a bit longer than I thought.

16Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:04 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
Hey MASSfisher,

Spent many years throwing these monsters. Blew out both my shoulders doing it. That's why I really can't throw them anymore. There are so many good baits on the market it blows my mind. I still like the Huds cuz to my mind they swim really well, look really realistic, and can be modified the easiest for better hook ratios. I could spend a month telling you all the tips and tricks, but I will keep it down to the few I think are most important.

1) I would suggest you start with the floating baits first, because they are the easiest to learn how to use. (and they are a bit easier to cast and the most fun bite!)

2) Test and modify the bait to your liking. Make sure you are happy with how it swims, and that the hooks are big enough and sharp enough.

3) Learn how to cast it!! You want to be able to put 75 to 100 feet or longer on this baby, and most importantly you need to be accurate and learn how to deliver it QUIETLY! You do not want it to land with a heavy splash but more like a shallow splat! Much like a pitch bait you cast with a tight line and slow the baits entry into the water at the last moment using the rod and line tension. This is especially important when short casting to shallow water or bedding fish.

4) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! LEARN WHERE THE BIG FISH LIVE, LIKE TO FEED, AND HANG OUT. In every lake there are a select few places where big fish hang, and it is your duty to figure out where these places are. Here's a short list that has never failed me no matter where I have fished.
A) deep water high spots. These are the tops of hills in deep water well offshore. Most are well beneath the water and only found with a good map and meter. One of my favorites at Castaic rises to 20 feet deep at it's peak and slopes into 60-80 on all sides. Oh did I mention it is covered with hardwood trees?
B) Saddles, The high ridges or connecting structure between two high spots.
C) Launch ramps. Big fish love launch ramps! I think you can guess why.
D) Large submerged flats that break sharply into deep water. No brainer here.
E) High current points. Every lake has points but there are a select few that experience high current flow (usually due to prevailing wind and or water inflow.) These are big fish magnets!
F) Creek or river Inlets, pump or siphon outflows.

5) TIMING!! Big fish are not very active, in fact for the most part they are very lazy. So,... when they do need, or have to be active, you need to be there!
here is a short list of the best times to be there when they are....
A) The spawn. no brainer here.
B) Night (especially a few days before the full moon cycle)
C) Periods of high bait concentration. This occurs twice a year here in SoCal.
D) THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT I WILL MAKE REGARDING "TIMING",....
Low light. Obviously early morning and/or evening but most importantly when falling pressure or an approaching weather front produces low cloud cover. Low cloud cover and falling BP are perhaps the most important key circumstances that stimulate big fish to become more approachable than any other circumstances that I know. There is an entire article that I could write regarding why, but suffice to say that if you want to catch a big fish you better be on the water when it's pre-front! ( the few hours prior to it raining).

6) THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL!!!! BIG FISH, FISHING IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN OTHER TYPES OF FISHING.
Ok,... I am sure you have heard me say this before but it is the most important thing you must learn if you really want to catch big fish regularly. And I do, (want to catch big fish regularly). Big fish are slower, harder to provoke, they have a larger memory bank to draw from, they are lazy, they require more sustenance for less effort,
they are less competitive than smaller fish, they are much more highly territorial then smaller fish, they key on structure, weather, light, temperature, BP, and bait much more keenly than smaller fish,.... All these things make them, very predictable, (not necessarily catchable ) and highly approachable.Big fish, fishing is a philosophy, a mind set, a learned technique. So,....Spend your time, (and you will spend a great deal of time) hone your mechanics, (because poor mechanics will cost you fish) sharpen and condition your concentration level, (you need to be as sharp as the first cast as on you 500th). You are fishing for the upper 2% of the fish swimming in the lake, and you will probably fish for two bites out of 500 casts on an average day. But it is well worth it!

bodfish ooops got a bit longer than I thought.

Always with really good info!! thanx! we dont mind the long response lol

17Big swimbaits??? Empty Re: Big swimbaits??? Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:20 am

tubinHippi

FTFF Gathering Officer

I fish swimbaits from my tube all the time its not hard can cast just as far..just the linked punker is a pain..I toss the hudds in rof 0 5 and 12 also triple trouts 8-10" gonna pick up some 6" triple trouts a bull shad and a cl8 bait soon.. but those would be my go to big baits... with that floating bbz sloowww rollllll that thing and just keep throwing it over and over don't give up and I use 30lb mono ive had the bbz and hudds snap off with 25lb

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum