FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float tube storage?

+11
SP Dan
augie
Wilderness Lite
mightyminnow25
Tim Murphy
northernfly
jeffcpr
MASSfisher
.:LOLLY:.
n2deepfsw
jmericle
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float tube storage? Empty Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 am

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have an ODC 420 tube, which is brand new in the box. I don't want to keep the box as it is to bulky to store. Does anyone know if they make storage bags to fit the tube? How do you guys store your tubes when not in use?

2Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a prowler and a odc420 which I keep in there storage bags but my fish cat which I use to get into hard to launch spots i let it hang in my garage.

3Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

A duffle bag will get the job done. I just leave my tube in the bed of my truck with the cover closed...

4Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote:A duffle bag will get the job done. I just leave my tube in the bed of my truck with the cover closed...
Nice, your tube is on call 24/7!

5Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

You never know when there might be an emergency LOL

6Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:00 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey dude welcome to the site!

My old tube I used to leave in my truck BEFORE I had a tonneau cover. I had a long cable wire that I'd wrap around it and lock it up so nobody could steal it....although a knife to it would be a lot worse in my opinion.

Now with my ODC 420 I have been really taking care of my tube, waders, fins, rods, etc. after EVERY trip. IT takes a lot of discipline but if you get into the habit of rinsing everything off after every use you will feel confident with your gear.

So I rinse mine off and hang my waders up inside the garage and the tube goes outside and is hung up underneath an awning in the back yard (so the sun doesn't get at it). This allows it to dry pretty fast as well. From there I'll either keep it hanging up till I need it or I'll put in my truck like Lolly does in case an : emergency arises" lol.

One thing I recommend with the ODC is to keep a SAFE amount of air in the tube if you plan on hanging it up. Unlike the Fish Cat the bladders on the ODC aren't connected in ny way to the shell of the tube....if you hang it up the bladders "sag" down and it can bea pain inflating it the next time around.

Make sure you only keep a small amount of air in it if you plan on doing this....as the outside temperature can cause your tube to inflate/deflate at a pretty fast rate.

Some of my buddies have a big tupperware container for their tube. I do this for my waders/fins/booties and it would work perfectly with the tube if you find one big enough. Makes it better to come back from the water with so water doesn't leak all over your truck/car/suv etc.

Kinda got sidetracked at the beginning....hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

7Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:00 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I like how you think brother!

8Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:33 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

My tubes hang in my Garage as well just clean and hang dry. They are partially inflated but watch it in the summer or hotter months as it will inflate on its own. But a storage bag will work just the same.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

9Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:11 am

northernfly

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have been following the forum for a while without posting but thought I would jump in on this one.

My float tube hangs, partially inflated in the garage for the winter season. This morning it was -22F. It probably would have shattered if I took it down.

Enjoying the vicarious tubing from your warmer climates Cool

Dennis

http://www.blog.northernfly.com

10Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

affraid -22F affraid

We will think warmers days for you sunny

11Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 am

northernfly

FTFF Gathering Officer

We will think warmers days for you sunny

I appreciate that!

Not intending to deflect from the theme of this thread, we do try to push the season as much as we can up here. Fishing the ice edge so to speak....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

12Float tube storage? Empty Another Yellow Submariner Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Dear Northernfly,

I have a Waterskeeter too. I'm a big dude and it is the only thing I could find that will float me properly.

Lot's of people have given less than glowing reviews of the Waterskeeter, but I am really happy with mine.

What are you fishing for in the picture with the ice in it? Years ago I fished a couple of ponds in Colorado right at the tree line just after ice out in July. The fishing was good but even while wearing neoprene waders I could only stand to be in the water for about an hour or two before I was numb.

Regards,

Tim Murphy Smile

13Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:49 pm

mightyminnow25

mightyminnow25
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have two duffle bags.. When I get home, I rinse my waders, fins waders and so on. I hang dry then fold them neatly and store them in the bags. Works for me

14Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 pm

northernfly

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi Tim,

I generally use breathable waders with several layers underneath including long underwear and fleece lined pants. I find keeping my feet warm to be the biggest challenge.

Last week we were fishing in water that was 53-55F at the surface and we were in the water for up to four hours at a time.

Cheers
Dennis Nazarenko

Tim Murphy wrote:Dear Northernfly,

I have a Waterskeeter too. I'm a big dude and it is the only thing I could find that will float me properly.

Lot's of people have given less than glowing reviews of the Waterskeeter, but I am really happy with mine.

What are you fishing for in the picture with the ice in it? Years ago I fished a couple of ponds in Colorado right at the tree line just after ice out in July. The fishing was good but even while wearing neoprene waders I could only stand to be in the water for about an hour or two before I was numb.

Regards,

Tim Murphy Smile

15Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Wilderness Lite

FTFF Gathering Officer

Storage? I am a fanatic who has carefully nursed a fleet of Wood River tubes into old age. So, always DRY, DARK, COOL, controlled temperature about 65F, hanging without creases in the basement from the rafters. NEVER dry in the sun. Fan indoors or in the shade in the ever blowing IA wind.

16Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:14 pm

augie

augie
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I also have a odc 420 and creek company makes a bag just for the odc 420 I keep my waders and fins in there too although most of the time I leave my odc hanging with some air.

17Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:44 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

How do you guys keep your float tubes stored at 65F-75F in your garages, here in SoCal??
I can construct a galvanized pipe or wooden dowel rack to hang and store my new Outcast Fish Cat 4 Deluxe but the summers get pretty warm and so does the inside of my garage.

Shade, hanging and dry are not the problem .... is the heat going to be a problem for the longevity of the float tube??
My garage starts to feel like an oven when the temps outside reach about 90F+.

Should I be concerned about the heat during the summer storage??

Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

18Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:02 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I am in So Cal (Orange County) I have never put my tube away it hangs in the garage year round. I hang mine slightly filled with air at all times. Of course during the summer I check on them from time to time and if they feel with air..... cherry and they will, simple let out some air. I have been storing my tubes like this for the last 10 to 15 years now, with no problem. Of course that is me no guaranty's Wink

19Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

SP Dan wrote:How do you guys keep your float tubes stored at 65F-75F in your garages, here in SoCal??
I can construct a galvanized pipe or wooden dowel rack to hang and store my new Outcast Fish Cat 4 Deluxe but the summers get pretty warm and so does the inside of my garage.

Shade, hanging and dry are not the problem .... is the heat going to be a problem for the longevity of the float tube??
My garage starts to feel like an oven when the temps outside reach about 90F+.

Should I be concerned about the heat during the summer storage??

Dan

I live in the IE and we get quite a few days at 95 or more. It is a bit warmer than Pedro gets. The tube itself will be just fine. I had my old doughnut style for 20 years or so, the rubber innertube would go bad every 6 years or so.
I keep mine in the garage  on a wood shelf. I do leave it partially inflated. No problem for 2 years with my Cumberland.

20Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:46 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

My 2 cents.......had my cumberland hang from rafters in my garage, upside down, partially inflated, using a cargo net and open eye hooks going on four years in the OC. When transporting, use cargo net over pickup bed.

Just make sure it good and dry before you store it. I find that between the tube and the bottom seat is where you will find sand, vegetation and moisture collecting. And at least once a year I remove the foam seat and backrest and clean. Just water from the hose, no soap.

Its one of the items I have listed on my burial...........GT bounce

21Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:04 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Yup, like everyone mentioned...i hang mine in my garage half inflated....days that are hot i check it more often as the heat makes it expand......BAM!

22Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:55 am

socal_native

socal_native
FTFF Gathering Officer

Another person in agreement with just hanging it up and letting it dry.
I mostly fish freshwater so I'm not as concerned with salt and the issues with it on everything.

But I do try to rinse off my tube, waders and fins as I leave the water. And then hang everything up. If it's a hot day I might spin things around that day. But usually in a day or so I'll rotate or flip the stuff around to help it all dry out.

And I also try to leave about 1/3-1/2 filled with air to help maintain it's shape. I'm not sure it helps but I do it anyways.

My garage gets well over 100 degrees in our summers but I haven't had any problems with longevity (that I know of).

I have packed my float tube and related equipment in a large duffle bag for a good amount of time. But I find it a waste of time when I'm using it once or twice a week and it takes a good day to dry.

23Float tube storage? Empty Re: Float tube storage? Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:00 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I have a double car garage with presently only on car at this time.
I have released 1/2 the air from all the baffles and set it down directly
on my garage floor.
I figured that it was the coolest and smoothest storage surface location in my garage.
I think that I'll skip the duffle bag and the hanging from rafters styles of storage.

Thanx for all the great input everyone!

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum