FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Umbrella rig
by jmytuna Yesterday at 9:49 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:27 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube fishing for Thresher Sharks......

+3
Madbasser
ed5000x
bayfishingjunkie
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yes I am crazy.... I am preparing to attempt to catch a Thresher Shark from my tube sometime next month... The fish usually show up in our local waters in April... I am either going to fish offshore of Hermosa beach or Malibu... Only thing is that Malibu kind of gives me the creeps due to the higher chance of Great Whites in the area.... But no guts no glory... I would like an experienced tuber to help me film this as well as help land the shark if and when we hook up .. let me know if your interested.

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bayfishingjunkie wrote:
Yes I am crazy.... I am preparing to attempt to catch a Thresher Shark from my tube sometime next month... The fish usually show up in our local waters in April... I am either going to fish offshore of Hermosa beach or Malibu... Only thing is that Malibu kind of gives me the creeps due to the higher chance of Great Whites in the area.... But no guts no glory... I would like an experienced tuber to help me film this as well as help land the shark if and when we hook up .. let me know if your interested.

Wow Sound Exciting but i only been out once but i would love to be there
lol
I just bought a new water proof camera and a mount video record too lol

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Woo hoo, sounds like a rush!!! Landing him is going to be the kicker for sure. Might be good to have a boat as back-up. I've seen them land sharks with boat help on TV before.

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Madbasser wrote:Woo hoo, sounds like a rush!!! Landing him is going to be the kicker for sure. Might be good to have a boat as back-up. I've seen them land sharks with boat help on TV before.

i seen a on tv guy on kayak do it pulled him out 3 miles Shocked

Dano67

Dano67

bayfishingjunkie wrote:
Are you going off the tip of Point Dume in Malibu?

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

still looking at all the variables... it has to be pretty well thought out to say the least.. I have to consider all possible scenarios. and also designing a rig to help with tiring and landing of the fish... To answer the malibu question... I would work the areas just beyond the ends of either pier. Both are known areas for Thresher, but the avr. size is under 100 pounds which I consider a realistic size for a tube angler..

Dano67

Dano67

Have fun!!

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dano67 wrote:Have fun!!

100 lbs i am with you dano Shocked

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Damn that is crazy please be careful sound like the camera man you are talking about having with you should be in a boat just to have some sort of safety with you.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:Damn that is crazy please be careful sound like the camera man you are talking about having with you should be in a boat just to have some sort of safety with you.
ya, a boat sounds good!

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wooo 100lbs, that's a whopper.

Dano67

Dano67

Ive pulledup small little 20lb babies and they are a handful and that was from solid gound. 100lbs will be crazy fun!!

73Camaro

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

What are u planning on using 4 bait? I hope maybe plastics (squid, swimbaits) or deep diving crankbaits as opposed to a bloody bait ha ha. Let me know, maybe I can help.

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Live Macs and maybe Rapala style hard baits. Im not about to exhaust myself trying to kick hard enough to troll lures. Live macs are perfect for this

73Camaro

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Live macs sound like a good bet, that is of course until they get munched on, then you've got blood in the water. Maybe a squid rig with either frozen or plastic squid might be a "safer" rig, just thinking out loud here.

bayfishingjunkie wrote:Live Macs and maybe Rapala style hard baits. Im not about to exhaust myself trying to kick hard enough to troll lures. Live macs are perfect for this

If I was out to conquer this quest, I'd probably use live macs. In my opinion hard baits will be a nightmare in a float tube. First, Thresher sharks (I'm sure bayfishingjunkie already knows this) a very high percentage of the time when you fish a hard bait such as a Rapala CD17, the Thresher's will first try to stun the bait by swiping and smacking the bait with his/her tail. You end up tail hooking the Thresher by the tail and forced to fight the battle with a tail hooked shark. I hate that. One, sure the fight is strong, but 8 out of 10 times you kill the fish. The Thresher ends up with no oxygen being dragged backwards...no water over the gills. Only while it is moving forward and then you drag it backwards. This is why I do not troll for Threshers. I'd rather toss a live mac, have the Thresher smack/swipe at the mac with it's tail a few times, turn around and eat the bait and get a solid hook set in the mouth with a Owner circle hook. Easier to battle the fish and insures a well healthy release. Also, I sure don't want a Rapala CD17 hoot to the tail of a Thresher flapping and swinging around while when you are doing this battle from a float tube! NO way! Anyways, bayfishingjunkie has a ton of experience and I'm sure he already knows this. Just a bit of info from me and what I would do if I went to target a Thresher in a tube. I'll stick to my bass fishing LOL!

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So when is this going to take place still be careful but I am very interested to see how it goes.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

i just heard of some threshers off of malibu pier.. but i prefer hermosa beach,looking like may possibly

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Guy Has balls And A bunch of buddy are there too
looks crazy but i would like to watch

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

still checking reports... plus I have a little change in plans... I will be purchasing a pontoon style sit on top tube this week I hope its better suited for this.. and waiting on some stable weather too

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

One like Vagabonds gray one? Those are awsome!!!

Or one with paddles?

I think either one will be pretty stable, but the gray hard plastic ones might be better in case it decides it want to show it's TEETH!!!! LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum