FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Today at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Today at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Today at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Changing float tube valves?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Changing float tube valves? Empty Changing float tube valves? Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey there people. During my last 2 trips with one of my friends I noticed that his tube gradually lost air as we tubed around. Our first trip was a little compromising since we were doing saltwater, but the second one was a little easier since we were at a lake. Anyways, that's besides the point. My friend has a straw valve, hate those things, on his tube's bladder. I was wondering if it's possible to replace the entire valve and install a boston valve or do I just have wishful thinking?

Thanks.

-IF2L

2Changing float tube valves? Empty Re: Changing float tube valves? Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:14 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

probably wishful thinking, it's just easier and painless to get a new or used tube with the boston valves.

3Changing float tube valves? Empty Re: Changing float tube valves? Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:17 am

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What type of tube does he have? I've had boston valves start to leak on me but I've never had the straw valve on my old caddis leak on me. Are you guys sure this isn't a tiny hole somewhere in the bladder? I had a buddy that replaced his on his caddis with a ball valve. I'm not sure how he did it though...

4Changing float tube valves? Empty Re: Changing float tube valves? Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 am

some tubes like the new OdC 420 are being made with Boston Valves now, I was really entertaining the idea of switching my tube from the older models to newer versions . As far as having my Straw valve leak on me ? no way .. it is possible like Lolly said that your friend may have a small leak somewhere else in the bladder.

5Changing float tube valves? Empty Re: Changing float tube valves? Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Replacement from the old "straw type" valve to boston is doable. However, the patching can be a bit hairy, since you have to reinforce the valve's site, ensuring there's a triple-layers patch above and inside the bladder to provide the strength for the new valve. I've done one in the past, but not a pretty thing if you use a poor adhesive, like superglue. Make sure to use a proper glue with high-low temp, and an ability to shrink-stretch based on the weather conditions. AquaSeal won't cut it. E6000 or E6800 will. Marine Epoxy from Lowes/Home Depot will.

6Changing float tube valves? Empty Re: Changing float tube valves? Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:09 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

tape the valve where you unscrew it to blow it up my buddy has the same prob it comes unscrewed a little and starts to leak just put some tape on it and it wont unscrew

7Changing float tube valves? Empty Re: Changing float tube valves? Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I used to be the proud owner of that tube. After the very first trip this happened to the valve.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To fix it another member recommended that I insert a small copper tube and use hose clamps to tighten down that POS valve nozzle. I then added to that by reinforcing the white section of the valve with some industrial grade adhesive. The valve held great for me for numerous trips afterwards, about 10+. Later, my buddy became the owner of my tube. For our first few trips it held up fine, but the last two was when it started presenting problems. He says that the blue section of it leaks. Before each trip he secures the valve tightly, but it still manages to have a very slow leak.

The tube is a Togiak Bighorn.

I honestly do not understand why any company would sell bladders with these kinds of valves because they're just a hazard waiting to happen. All that is keeping a person away from sinking is that stinking 5/8" white portion of the valve that is bonded with some cheap glue.

8Changing float tube valves? Empty Re: Changing float tube valves? Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Fisher wrote:tape the valve where you unscrew it to blow it up my buddy has the same prob it comes unscrewed a little and starts to leak just put some tape on it and it wont unscrew

Did that once. I ended up sitting pretty deep in the water at Perris. Fortunately I was with a friend.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum