FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Opinions on low budget pontoons?

+3
Team Taylor
Ifishtoolittle
FishyD
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Opinions on low budget pontoons? Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:05 pm

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have wanted a pontoon for some time now, but I don't have a the funds for an expensive high quality boat as I am still in highschool. Right now the Creek Company has their cheap model, the ODC Classic XL, on sale. It's a pretty good deal. Does anybody have this boat? And if so, how is it? Would it be worth it or will it just fall apart on me in a year? Thanks for any input.

2Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Do you currently own any floating vessel? A cheaper solution is to use a paddle of some sort in addition to your tube.

I've used my buddies' kayak paddle on our last saltwater bay trip, and it worked wonders. I see that you're a young dude, so a full out simultaneous kick and paddle movement shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My 2 cents.

3Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:55 pm

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

Ifishtoolittle wrote:Do you currently own any floating vessel?  A cheaper solution is to use a paddle of some sort in addition to your tube.

Yes I have a tube, but another appealing aspect of a pontoon is that you can be completely out of the water. With my float tube, water comes up to waist level. Its ok, but sometimes I just feel like being out of the water and rowing instead.

4Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:41 am

Team Taylor

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have the Sport LT and really like it.

5Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:04 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I too have a ODC Sport LT.  Cabelas had it for $100 off so I just picked it up.  I haven't had it for a year so I can't tell you if it's gonna fall apart just yet. I'm coming from a float tube as well albeit, it's been a while since I was in it.  I liked the idea of being up out of the water and having the option to row (I have bad knees.)  But, I also use the fins for propulsion though.

Doesn't look like here's much difference between the two except for the valves (LT has Boston valves) and the LT doesn't have the insulated beverage holder  Evil or Very Mad  BTW, I use a K pump 100 (so much better for my back than hunching over for a regular pump) and it takes a little under 3 minutes for each pontoon. Only take a few minutes to put the frame together.

One thing I have issues with, since I fly fish as well, is the stripping basket.  It's more a seat belt that a basket. It hugs you and doesn't really have usable real estate since its scrunched up against your belly (at least my belly.)  My next mod is to figure out how to have it extend forward a little to be of use or get a basket from Classic Assessories off of the Colorado XT and see if that works.

So far I've added a transport wheel, rod holder and storage basket/rocket launcher.  Net holder, fish finder and the stripping basket mod are next on the list.

6Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:14 pm

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

I decided on a completely different boat. I ordered the Classic Accessories Roanoke. Walmart has a really good deal on it right now and to me it seems like a better boat. Other places sell it for about $150 more than what I paid. The only thing i would say i like about it less just looking at pictures is the stripping apron. It is under seat, and I just don't understand what good that does. I want it in front of me to deal with a fish. I also was told by someone on another forum that it has dual chamber bladders. Anybody that can verify this? I couldn't find it written anywhere.

7Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:14 pm

vortec_cruiser

vortec_cruiser
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I've owned several of the cheaper ODC pontoons during the past ten or so years, and all have performed superbly. ODC makes quality watercraft. I currently own two ODC420 tubes and an ODC 1018 pontoon, which is no longer made. I love 'em all!

8Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:03 pm

chipmcd

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

FishyD wrote:I decided on a completely different boat. I ordered the Classic Accessories Roanoke. Walmart has a really good deal on it right now and to me it seems like a better boat. Other places sell it for about $150 more than what I paid. The only thing i would say i like about it less just looking at pictures is the stripping apron. It is under seat, and I just don't understand what good that does. I want it in front of me to deal with a fish. I also was told by someone on another forum that it has dual chamber bladders. Anybody that can verify this? I couldn't find it written anywhere.

I think the Roanoke fits your criteria and budget just fine.  But, personally, for the $47 more, I may have opted for the Skagit. That extra Grant gets you a padded seat, anchor system and a laptop stripping tray (never saw the benefit of the below seat tray that Classic Access. utilizes.)  While neither has the option for a trolling motor, the Skagit seems a little more open to a hack for one.
Even though you, or I, may not personally need one or all of these extras, the person you may sell it to might. Meaning, it may hold its value better if you're not inclined to keep it for whatever reason.

9Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:00 pm

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

The pontoon has arrived and I figured out putting it together without any issues. I will write an actual review after I get it on the water a couple times. But first impressions are very good. I have a feeling this is going to be the most fun way I have ever fished.  Very Happy

10Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:10 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Congratz on the new toy!
I hope you write up a report soon as I would enjoy hearing a "toon" from "tube" comparison.

11Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i have a colorado xt and i know its a bit pricy but so worth it i love that thing, i can use fins or paddles with it. i plan on getting a trolling motor in the future but not for a while. but if ur gonna get a toon might as well save up and get the good one

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

12Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 pm

FishyD

FTFF Gathering Officer

Pavo21 wrote:i have a colorado xt and i know its a bit pricy but so worth it i love that thing, i can use fins or paddles with it. i plan on getting a trolling motor in the future but not for a while. but if ur gonna get a toon might as well save up and get the good one

Yeah I would have liked to get that but 1. I'm pretty bad at saving money and 2. I wanted to get it and still have plenty of time to fish with it before winter gets here. Last year when I got my tube i ordered it late in the season and only got like 3 trips with it before it was too cold. And this was one of the impulse things that I just really didn't want to wait till next year with to use it. But someday maybe I will get the Colorado or xt or the other nice one that i forgot the name of. they look really nice.

13Opinions on low budget pontoons? Empty Re: Opinions on low budget pontoons? Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Pavo21

Pavo21
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

well just save up all winter and then buy it then once spring runs around bam go go fish.

http://www.inthedeephusea.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum