FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hook setting

+4
david886720
Jerdon
SP Dan
desertstorm28
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hook setting Empty Hook setting Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:50 pm

desertstorm28

desertstorm28
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey all I just got off the water at the LAB and couldn't be more frustrated (or about as frustrated as one could be after fishing).  I ended up with a big skunk and had the biggest issue with hook set, or maybe something else so I want some insight and I have a long rant so bear with me.  Here's the situation...

I typically drop shot the berkley ghost shrimp on a pretty large offset worm hook so that the hook barb is towards the back of my bait.  I usually do really well but nothing of much size so I figured that maybe cuz the hook is so visible it is deterring the larger fish.  So tonight I was drop shotting a berkley gulp ghost shrimp (typical) on a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] owner mosquito hook and was nose hooking the bait like I would a roboworm for freshwater bass.  Couple ticks and small bites here and there but not much and no fish landed.  Eventually realized that my bait appeared to be swimming the wrong way since shrimp swim backward so I tail hooked my shrimp and kept going.  This was working really well I was getting hit almost every cast but this is where the frsutration began.  I would be dragging my drop shot along the bottom and getting a couple consistent ticks and then finally a big tug so I'd set the hook but nothing there.  After this happened about 3 times I figured maybe I need to be more patient and let the fish eat the bait a little deeper to get to the hook.  I cast out and about halfway back my bait gets hit with two quick, heavy tugs so I lower my rod to give slack and can see my line in the water moving so clearly the fish has my bait in its mouth.  Quick hook set and nothing there. Evil or Very Mad At this point I figure that the fish are biting the "head" of my my bait where the hook isn't and not eating it all the way to get to the tail.  I switch baits to a curly tail grub for drop shot (I really like drop shot since I'm used to freshwater bass fishing my whole life) and the same damn thing keeps happening I will get hit so hard only to come up with nothing on the hook set.  I ended the night with probably 10 solid hits but nothing to show for (typically fish story).

Now my question is does anybody have advice on what to do about this?  I'm thinking I somehow need to get the hook all the way to the back of the bait (away from my line) like I normally do with my worm hooks because when I use those hooks I have no problem with hook setting.  Any and all input is appreciated thanks!

2Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:20 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

The sames been happening to me.
Trailer hook??

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

3Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:45 pm

desertstorm28

desertstorm28
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I was wondering if there is a way to do a trailer hook drop shotting, may have to do some research...

4Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:09 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

zoom

5Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:18 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

When I fish the salt water I am typically on a boat.

However, I was shown a 3 inch or so perfection loop with a long tag end for the weight. This was deadly for Sand bass and Calicos with live bait. The hook could just flail along behind the line.

I hope this helps.

6Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:18 pm

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I agree this often happens when dropshotting the bay. I prefer to use two rods and keep the dropshot in the rod holder. The only ones that stick usually have to hook themselves. Normally this would be frustrating but since I'm concentrating on fishing with the other rod I don't get as frustrated.

7Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:01 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

david886720 wrote:I agree this often happens when dropshotting the bay.  I prefer to use two rods and keep the dropshot in the rod holder.  The only ones that stick usually have to hook themselves.  Normally this would be frustrating but since I'm concentrating on fishing with the other rod I don't get as frustrated.

I agree

8Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:13 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Ive had those days D-storm where your getting short bit UGH...alot of the times i get this its because of anxiousness but yeah also at times, u give it some time like you mentioned and set the hook for nothing so i do feel your pain..... as for hooks im a big EWG hook guy..i never use anything else for drop shotting...i only change in size depending on the bite...smaller vs bigger presentation...i usally go 4/0..i was doing 5/0 but it was to big....umm dont know if that helped...sorry...id say stick to the EWG...worm hook....

9Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:24 pm

desertstorm28

desertstorm28
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for the advice everybody and comments seems like everybody has experienced a little frsutration like that on the water. Thanks for the recommendations too Jerdon and Tony I think I'm gonna try the EWG hooks just smaller sizes, haven't thought of doing that yet for some reason.

10Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

dont know if you throw the fluke on the drop shot...DEADLY! id say 80% of my catches are drop shotting a fluke! good luck bro! ill have to join you one of these days!

11Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:50 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Instead of setting the hook right away, try winding fast and load the rod first then set the hook. That technique really helped my hook up ratio.

12Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Misfitdog

Misfitdog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

also if you have not been fishing as much or have caught numerous fish on that same hook make sure you are sharpening them, one thought .

Also you could try sticking the hook straight through a plastic and just tipping it kind of like we would do with a fat senko , still weedless , but would allow the hook to give you more of a chance for a hook up due to it already being through the thicker plastics.

WES

13Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:04 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

kobra wrote:Instead of setting the hook right away, try winding fast and load the rod first then set the hook. That technique really helped my hook up ratio.

I agree.

MOST IMPORTANT .... TAKE UP ANY SLACK!

I also like to let my rod do the work; with the single hook, and let it load up. Line and hook should slide to corner of the fish's mouth for the set.

I like to treat all strikes like Hali's .... I let them take it down to the bottom and give them enough time to chew on it; that is ... if they haven't loaded up the rod yet, before setting the hook.

If they only have the swimmies tail section in their mouth's ... you can set until you are blue in the face .... for the same nada results.
You just need to entice them to take the entire bait.

Simple .... right!!!  Razz  lol

I'm still working on it ... because I haven't figured it out yet.  Wink Ha ha ha! I just keep fishing until I do!

SP Dan     <"))><

14Hook setting Empty Re: Hook setting Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I use Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp L702 Circle Hooks for drop shot fishing while in a float tube. I can just leave the rod in the rod holder (45 degree angle for trolling), and the fish set the hook themselves when they take the bait and swim away with it. This might really help you with your hook setting problem. When a fish hits your bait, let them have it for a second or two, then just start reeling them in - no need to set the hook. The fish will hook themselves in the corner of their mouth. These hooks are amazing. Really great for catch and release because there are almost no swallowed hooks, no gut-hooked fish.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum