FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fish finder recommendations

+12
Litefoot
mthaubs
kobra
Misfitdog
Jerdon
HugeEuge57
Ornery Bob
Mscustomflies
SP Dan
Hunt
jeffcpr
DanTheRipper
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Fish finder recommendations  Empty Fish finder recommendations Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:41 am

DanTheRipper

DanTheRipper
FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm about to pick up a fish finder. However, I can't make up my mind on the Lowrance hook 4x or hook 3. I plan on purchasing a fishfinder mount system from their website. Does anyone have recommendations on which I should choose or other finders to look at.l? I fish on a Cumberland. Thanks

2Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:48 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Does Lowrance have there own fishfinder mounts just wondering. I have the 4x but it is an older much older model.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:15 pm

DanTheRipper

DanTheRipper
FTFF Gathering Officer

I plan on ordering one from fishfindermounts.com

4Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

The bigger the better. Go with the Hook 4 (Hook 5 if you can swing it).

http://www.integrity-traders.com

5Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hunt, would you happen to have or be willing to share a pic of your FF set up?
I've been stalling because of the additional weight but
I'm still considering the purchase of one myself.

How much does the entire FF set up weigh including the battery?

SP Dan    <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

6Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Mscustomflies

Mscustomflies
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have a lowrance mark 5 dsi-x I had given, it's an old unit but for finding the depth it works a treat

7Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Depending on your phone, you could look into the Raymarine Wi-Fish. I love the down vision sonar image. It's basically high end sonar where you provide the display. Stick your phone in a waterproof case and use a dash mount to secure it to fishfinder mount and you're good to go.

8Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:39 am

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

SP Dan wrote:Hunt, would you happen to have or be willing to share a pic of your FF set up?
I've been stalling because of the additional weight but
I'm still considering the purchase of one myself.

How much does the entire FF set up weigh including the battery?

SP Dan    <"))><

You can refer to my original project here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The only difference is I now use the Hook 5 instead of the smaller Elite 4 HDI unit. Not a big difference in weight between the two. The battery weight is typical for that size 12 volt. The battery box is very light by itself and the foam contents are light too. Not much of an issue when on the water and the battery is behind the seat. The carry handle makes it easy for short hikes.

9Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:44 pm

HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Humminbird Fishin Buddy 110. Shows depth and water temp. That's all I need to catch fish.

10Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I purchased this tonight on line.

The Deeper Pro + Smart Sonar is WiFi & GPS, color- Black

Does anyone out have and use this type of fish finder?
I thought that I'd take advantage of my larger iPhone 7 HD screen.

Any input??

SP Dan     <"))><

11Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:21 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I received my new "Deeper Pro+ Smart Sonar" this week, it says that it can be cast at a distance up to 330ft away from my position and it works to a depth of 260ft.
It tethers with my iPhone 7 using WiFi and not w/ Bluetooth.
I placed it in a bowl of fresh water to turn it on, set up my account and bingo .... ready to read the contour of the bottom and locate some fish too! lol

I received my new 4.3 oz external battery for my 8 hour+ long session's charging needs.

I also purchased but have not yet received ... my new 20" long "Deeper Goose Neck Mount Holder" which was designed for the Deeper Pro+ Smart Sonar which
will (clamp) attach directly to my 1.5" dia ABS rod rack.

I'll be getting back to you with my "consumer report" on these items and how well they performed, in the near future.

I would also like to hook-up and fish with others that already have fish finders in order to compare it's findings with other Fish Finders on the market ... for example: Hummingbird, Lowrance, Eagle, Garmin ... etc.

Are there any float tube fishermen out there w/ FF's that would care to join me in a SW session ... in say in the very near future .... ???

SP Dan    <"))><

12Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Just say when and where!

13Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

SP Dan wrote:I purchased this tonight on line.

Any input??

SP Dan     <"))><

SP Dan,
I am really looking forward to a report on how this works.

14Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Misfitdog

Misfitdog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SP Dan wrote:I purchased this tonight on line.

Any input??

SP Dan     <"))><

Awesome I have actually seen a Deeper cast out and a guy was moving it back in slowly just getting a feel for the bottom of this small lake we where on and 7 lb bass tried to eat the deeper , he tied on a whopper plopper and cast right where that same fish tried to eat the deeper and caught her  lol  was crazy to see .. looking forward to a review maybe on this sucker  ... Thumbs Up

15Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:44 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Ha ha ha! Sure enough Misfitdog ... as long as the unit doesn't get eaten in the process!  Cool  Ha ha ha!

SP Dan <"))><

16Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Mscustomflies

Mscustomflies
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Seen a few photos of guys using them over here but cast out on rod and line.

The images seem bright kind of a shame that there's no option to run on Bluetooth when the unit and phone will be in such close proximity.

Do you all use you finders to actually locate fish or just the depth? Mines more for depth so I can select a suitable fly line to get down

17Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I've just recently started using one and so far there have only been a couple of times that I have seen fish and was able to catch them. Mostly I use it to see what kind of bottom I have or where I am in relation to rocks, kelp, weeds, etc.. I've caught fish because I was able to cruise along the sandy edge of an eel grass bed, so that's more using it to find likely places than targeting individual fish directly.

Because I'm fishing harbors, most of the time I'm fishing obvious structure that you don't need help to find. It's not like you forget your "fish sense" but where the finder proves its worth is when it finds structure you can't see, in non-obvious places.

For me, it provides a psychological boost as well in that I don't feel like I'm just blindly tossing around a bait and hoping for the best. I can be confident I'm targeting high percentage spots and giving myself the best chance to do well.

18Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ornery Bob wrote:I've just recently started using one and so far there have only been a couple of times that I have seen fish and was able to catch them. Mostly I use it to see what kind of bottom I have or where I am in relation to rocks, kelp, weeds, etc.. I've caught fish because I was able to cruise along the sandy edge of an eel grass bed, so that's more using it to find likely places than targeting individual fish directly.

Because I'm fishing harbors, most of the time I'm fishing obvious structure that you don't need help to find. It's not like you forget your "fish sense" but where the finder proves its worth is when it finds structure you can't see, in non-obvious places.

For me, it provides a psychological boost as well in that I don't feel like I'm just blindly tossing around a bait and hoping for the best. I can be confident I'm targeting high percentage spots and giving myself the best chance to do well.

EXACTLY!!! And for locating bait balls. Mission Bay is notorious for bass following the bait. So one day a location that held fish might not be holding the next day.

19Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:06 pm

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

In my opinion in case of a emergency, I would rather loose my $200.00 fish finder than loose my phone
$700.00 and  200.00 fish finder. I love the hummingbird 140 which has been updated to 140 C and it is water proof. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This total package is under $200.00 and the mounting system is easy to make for a PVC setup or they make a adapter for the tube for around $40.00. Good luck. Very Happy

Last edited by mthaubs on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added comment)

20Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

mthaubs wrote:In my opinion in case of a emergency, I would rather loose my $200.00 fish finder than loose my phone
$700.00 and  200.00 fish finder. I love the hummingbird 140 which has been updated to 140 C and it is water proof. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This total package is under $200.00 and the mounting system is easy to make for a PVC setup or they make a adapter for the tube for around $40.00. Good luck. Very Happy

I chose the 140 Fishing Buddy a few years back. It gives me depth and structure in B&W. Does the color monitor provide better detail?

21Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

mthaubs wrote:In my opinion in case of a emergency, I would rather loose my $200.00 fish finder than loose my phone

Just my opinion here but vertical resolution is everything to the sharpness and details of any fish finder. For example this one has a vertical resolution of 160 dots. Mine has a resolution of 480 dots, 3x the Fishin' Buddy. If I split the screen into two levels each is still 1.5 times the 110. The 110 only has fish symbols, the worst possible way, with too many false signals, to find fish (arches are the best).

22Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I bought mine at Fish Finder mounts dot-com it's one of our sponsors if you talk to them they'll help you out one package I hope this helps

23Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:01 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yes it does Jerdon. Color makes a really big difference, in my opinion. Hard bottom shows up as a different color than a soft bottom. The b/w unit shows the difference too but for me color is easier at a glance. I started with a fishin buddy and used it for years. Mr. Hunt's explaination between the fish finders is spot on.

24Fish finder recommendations  Empty Re: Fish finder recommendations Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:06 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Great information all around.

If it is just resolution and color the portable finders like FishHunter and Deeper sound like the best bang for my buck. They weigh nothing compared to standard fish finders and both can make maps for me. I can find tablets in the 7 to 10 inch range for $100 bucks all day long, and they are 1250 by 800 DPI.

Does anyone have a direct comparison between these and "Old School" finders?

NOTE Mscustomflies: There is a unit that use bluetooth from Deeper.

25Fish finder recommendations  Empty Here we go... Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

This may be a long post because of pictures but here goes anyway. I am not a proponent of any particular brand or style of fish finder, but because of the questions about the low resolution B & W unit I thought it might be instructional to show features of a more modern unit in contrast. I am not very well versed in this technology and am learning every time I fish. Some people say a unit with down scan or side scan is not really well suited for tubes because of the slow speed of travel. I agree that to get nice pictures of structure it is better to be moving a bit. Now, the problem with cruising around in a boat and watching down and side scan is that the fish seen on sonar are often overlooked dots on down and side scan. There is a reason for that and it is simply that down and side imaging uses a wide side to side beam but narrow front to back beam. A fish is in and out of the beam in no time and therefore you will not see traditional arches. Sonar, on the other hand, is a circular beam and the fish is in the beam much longer. As the fish progresses from one end of the beam (a further distance) through something closer to the center (closer distance) and then out the other edge (further again) you see the arch formed. An arch with a bright colored center is located more closely to the direct center of the cone and has a strong return.
OK, so for tubing we have to understand the effects of slow or no speed. Instead of arches you may see long streaks as fish swim around below, entering and leaving the cone. For down and side scan this is a good thing if looking for fish signals. The longer time the fish is in the very narrow coverage the more it actually resembles a fish instead of a dot.
On my last trip on my Colorado XTS on Deep Pond in Mendon Park here in Western NY I recorded the trip to submit my log file to Insight Genesis to process into depth contours and bottom hardness/vegetation maps which I can then import into my machine and overlay the pond chart. For this recording I needed to use 200 kHz sonar as opposed to the wider angle 83 kHz. I took screen shots of actual fish as I played back the recording yesterday. This pond is fairly featureless and devoid of structure so don't expect to see sunken vessels or old train tracks! For much of the pond the depth drops quickly from the weeds and lily pads along the shoreline and maximum depth is around 30 ft. in one section. Most of these pictures are taken in about 15 ft of water just off the weed line and just drifting around with the wind.

In this shot you can see actual fish arches on sonar but also see the fish on down scan and side scan about 12 ft on each side of me.

This shot shows something similar. Fish to both left and right. Being more or less stationary at a 0.3 MPH drift, the side scan image of the bottom (light areas from around 15 ft on each side) is real granular and hard to spot fish in it.

This image shows something interesting. the school of fish is off to the side of the sonar and only a few fish are in the cone. The wide and narrow beam of the down scan shows more fish and the side scan shows how far and to which side they are. Some fish are moving slowly and become more elongated.

Below two charts are nothing special except to illustrate how slow moving fish or perhaps fish swimming in the same direction as my drift can look long and wormy. These are not big fish and are must likely bluegills.

Here is a three shot sequence where at first I am coming from shallower weedy water where you see the weeds and bottom slope in the sonar and down scan and see a few fish,  which are very hard to find in the sonar image, on down scan and side scan. The next two images are in succession after the first.

This image seems to show a larger fish on the sonar but the smaller fish must be outside of the beam cone. They are clearer in the other views.

Finally some more weeds for all three views. You see at least one fish on sonar, about 4 ft below the transducer. The down scan image shows the same fish, a clearer shot of the weeds and a few more fish toward the right side. The side scan clearly shows the abundance of weeds to the left with bright returns and some weeds also on the right, with a few fish mixed in.

I am including one more final picture because you can see fish in the central down scan area of the side scan panel but you can also see additional bright fish returns on the left where the side beam starts picking up the bottom.

I did say this would be a long post but I find the charts kind of fascinating and wanted to illustrate the differences between older technology and newer with modern features. I hope this helps someone in some way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum