FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have you ever gone swimming?

+6
Litefoot
Jerdon
Komori Jeff
branders
jeffcpr
Ornery Bob
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Have you ever gone swimming? Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

As in out of the tube for some reason and in the water? Shocked

I've been swimming once intentionally and twice unintentionally.

The first time was intentional. I dumped myself out of my tube a couple of times a few yards from shore to see where the tipping point was and to see if I could get back on the tube.

At first I tried sort of lifting myself into the seat with the tube behind me, but I wasn't strong enough to lift myself out of the water, even though the tube was supporting me fine, so I switched to a face down orientation and pulled myself onto the tube seat as far as I could and then did a quick flip/roll to the seated position. It's not that hard to do.

The unintentional times were once in the surf and once in the mud. In the surf, I didn't get dumped out of the tube, I was backing into the surf and got knocked down. I should have been launching face first to begin.

The other unintentional time was at HH and I was out on the flats and I decided to go into shallow water and stand up for some reason and I was in about 2 ft of water but as soon as I tried to stand up, the mud squished out from under me but the fins caused me to topple backwards as my heels sank faster than my toes supported by the fin blades and just that fast, I was swimming. Oh well... no harm, no foul.

I've always felt that float tubes were sort of self-selecting and people not comfortable in the water wouldn't want to have one. But I've recently learned that there are tubers who don't swim and are afraid to be in the water and that seems crazy to me.

As long as you're not losing your gear, getting dumped out of your tube is nothing more than going for a swim and personally, I find swimming with fins really easy. Even at 66 years old and overweight. But that's just one crazy old man.

How about you? Ever gone for a swim?

2Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:27 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have gone down when tying to get out after a long day on the water a few time. I guess my legs where not ready for me. I looked funny and not very graceful LOL. But i have taken a good swim as of yet. I can swim and am sure if i did lose it i would be basically able to save myself.

I hope that it never comes to this but the more you are ok the water the more likely it will happen. Besafe everyone.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:19 pm

branders

branders
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

My very first time out I got wet. It was at the end of my day and I was standing up out of my tube and decided to try and turn around with my fins on... That was not a good idea. going in the water was no big deal but when it’s at the beach in summer and it’s in front of everyone, it’s a little embarrassing to say the least.

4Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

A couple of years ago I went swimming after I had stopped fishing for the day at Lake Perris. It was at the Bernasconi Road launch spot where the old asphalt road goes into the lake. The water was really clear and it was in the summertime with hot daytime temperatures. I was hot after my long kick back, I was already wet because I wasn't wearing waders, so after I had my 'tube and gear up on shore, I just went for a quick swim wearing my diving fins. It was very refreshing and invigorating. I wish I had a diving mask so I could look around underwater.

5Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I have never fell out of the tube in deep water.

I have slipped on rocks along the dam and had to backstroke in a small circle to get my feet back under me while wearing waders. I did not take in very much water at all, maybe the belt helps with that.

I took a dive of my Cumberland in deep water once to test things out. It was very hard to climb back in the tube without  having the bottom to push off. If I ever do end up in the water I will use the tube as a handhold and side stroke to shallow water or shore to conserve energy.

6Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:12 am

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

When I was learning to float tube we were at June Lake getting out of the tube stepped on my fins went down didn't have a belt on the the waiters landed on the tube or of course I had to carry the float tube my waders were full of water back to the campsite it was cold. I did the same thing in Huntington Harbor lost my camera and my phone and I know better.

7Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Capt Ray

Capt Ray
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Never out of a tube but have fell out of my bass boat once or twice. Once in an alligator infested pond, I don't think my hair even got wet that time.

8Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Never try to clean weeds and debis from an outboard motor propeller! The motor was NOT running (I'm a little stupid, but not THAT much!). I had the 9.5 hp Johnson tilted up out of the water and locked in position, or so I thought.. I'm leaning way out over the motor trying to unwrap a bunch of weeds from the propeller and suddenly the motor releases into the down position, catapulting me in a flip out into the very cold early morning water of Lake Henshaw. My fishing buddy didn't know what I was doing.. he thought that I had just dove into the lake.. I came up coughing up water and Jack said.."What the f*ck are you doing!?" Other boaters nearby were watching this too. It wasn't funny right then, but man.. we sure laughed about it later in the day, and still do today!

9Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

lucky to say i have never fell out...i bet it sucks though.....but dont want to find out...

i remember one year we were at Jess Ranch Lakes, and someone tube popped, think he went in the water, remember Jeff...

10Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:05 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

The other unintentional time was at HH and I was out on the flats and I decided to go into shallow water and stand up for some reason and I was in about 2 ft of water but as soon as I tried to stand up, the mud squished out from under me but the fins caused me to topple backwards as my heels sank faster than my toes supported by the fin blades and just that fast, I was swimming. Oh well... no harm, no foul.

Ha ha ha!
A slight twist to the real truth OB ..... we were there watching you as you slammed straight forward onto your face, like someone had face slammed you!.
We were both watching you when it happened ... and laughed. You came up like a half drowned cat!
We decided that you had absolutely no clue of what you were doing! A rooky mistake.
At least you came out of it unharmed. Thumbs Up

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

11Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Yeah, it was a rookie mistake for sure. All part of the fun!

12Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:56 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Good on you mistakes happen i am sure that wont happen again.

Sent from Topic'it App

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

13Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

My turn for my rookie mistake + baptism,

Some time ago; back in the first 3-months of my FT fishing journey, I was at LAB and the water was gin clear for the top 3 to 4 ft or so.
So I was kicking to the shoreline to land at my launch and I thought that I was in much shallower water than I actually was in ...
I immediately proceeded to slid off the FT seat onto the shallow sand ...  Shocked  which was actually 5 to 6ft below me, and yes I had my chest waders on ta-boot. lol

Oh yes ... I got very wet ... and was I ever surprised by my misjudgement of the water's depth.

Oh ... and on that day ... I also learned that Force Fins really don't float ... but sink like bricks.  Embarassed  Yikes!

I removed my waders and began diving for the (1) lost Force Fin to no prevail.
My ol' fishing buddy keepemlo had a great idea and he started dragging a treble hook along the bottom and ended up snagging my lost fin and
recovered it for me! I always seems to end up owing Stan breakfast for one reason or another! lol
Stan was definitely my hero on that day!

Since that day ... I've worn fin leashes.

Bottom line: Things do and or will happen to us, so always prepare yourselves the very best that you can ... and have fun.
PS ... Always try to fish with a buddy if you can.
PSS ... As long as we can learn by our mistakes .... we shouldn't need to repeat them ... hopefully!  Cool  lol!

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

14Have you ever gone swimming? Empty Re: Have you ever gone swimming? Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:06 pm

singletrack

singletrack
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

My one and only baptise in the 8 years I have been float rubbing was pissing from my float. I was slide forward on a new float, was not exactly sure where the tipping point was and I found it. Off I went and it was a mad scramble to get back on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPxZQaZknKgs79MOETz5frQ

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum