FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Umbrella rig
by jmytuna Yesterday at 9:49 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:27 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Enterprise 2.0..... it begins.

+4
SP Dan
Jerdon
Theresa
Mo2vation
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:08 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So I've been using the CastMate system, OB style (on top of the floats of the Outcast...not on the sides) and its been great.

Nothing like having a 1" pipe to mount stuff to.  But it has come with a price:

* as its not designed to mount on TOP of the Outcast tube, its really not wide enough to straddle the pockets.  The CastMate system encroaches on the pockets, crushing down one side or the other, really stealing storage room

* the CastMate system has a fixed, curved plastic spreader bar - and its really not in the right place

* the CastMate system only has ONE plastic spreader bar.... and its mounted at one end... so the other side gets to flap in the breeze (they will not sell you another set of the plastic spreader bars... even though the system is drilled for them)

Its a decent system that could be better.

I'm working on widening the main 1" aluminum pipes, using marine-grade boat rail connectors.   This will let me bend pipe into a favorable curve in front AND IN BACK - making the system more stable read: better video more stable rod holders), while also widening it about an inch to clear the Outcast pockets and maximize storage.

I'll still use the Kayak Strap mount system I devised to hold the bars to the float... but it will just be wider and more stable, now.

Currently bending 3/4" EMT for my proof-of-concept model (in the pics).  I'll gravel fill and bend 1" OD Aluminum pipe for the production model.  Smile

So far, the first side is working out very well.

Next steps:

* Build both sides using 1" OD Aluminum pipe (I bought an 8' section from Amazon on the cheap)

* Work in the stabilizing  bar / Hard deck.  Outcast tubes don't have stabilizing bars like Caddis and some of the others.  Enterprise 1.0 has been using a bar I fashioned and its been great.  I have some ideas for an elevated hard deck that will negate the need for the non-removable stabilizer bar I'm using now.  That will come next week

* Add the second battery for on-board phone power / GoPro power and lighting.  I'm currently using bicycle lights for safety lights...I want to have a light on the hard deck for knots and such at dark, as well as LEDs all around for safety / night fishing.

More as I progress with 2.0

- Ken

Top-Mount CastMate encroaching on the storage pocket  See how it isn't wide enough to fully clear the storage pocket?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Enterprise 2.0 Clearance  You can see, the bent EMT clears the pocket completely.

The CastMate plastic spreader bar You can see, it is wide, and in a fixed location that is sub-optimal. It takes up a lot of room on the front end of the float.

Enterprise 2.0 bent Bar Not only does this bar take up much less room on the float, by doing so it gives me more mounting options.

The CastMate system has only one spreader bar Despite the aluminum rails being pre-drilled for two.  This makes the system inherently flexy.  I've mitigated some of that with my Kayak strap mounting...but it really needs a back spreader bar.

Enterprise 20 System has a spreader bar in the front AND the back

Curved bar detail front and back. Using EMT for now in the model.  I'll bend 1" OD Aluminum next week to replace the EMT.

2Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 am

Theresa

FTFF Gathering Officer

Smile Ken, the U.S. Navy couldn't do it any better!  Good thinking and great work.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/theresa-j-leinwebe

3Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Looking good Ken.
I like how everything sits nice and tight on top.

Thanks for sharing

4Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:46 am

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks guys

There is nothing like having rigid bars on an inflatable surface to bolt stuff too.  

The CastMate system is a fine system, but its very limited.   I'm not a fan of limited.  Smile

The elevated hard deck is next, to replace the elevated soft stripping apron that comes with the Outcast tubes.

I've been trying out all kinds of options for the deck - from Teak or Bamboio shower mats (awesome... and look great... like a mini version of a yacht's swimstep) to PVC rectangle stock (like the pic below).... anything to escape the ubiquitous Bin top.

Right now, the front runner is a boot tray - like the ones you use in a Mud room.  

Unlike most bin tops, they're thinner, have a gentle tray design, and when mounted to a rack, are super rigid.    

That's where I'm leaning right now.   We shall see.  Smile

This is fun.

-Ken

5Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:57 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I like your improved (wider) version of the constricting CastMate system.
Thanks for sharing.

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

6Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I also like the wider CAstmate version nice work buddy. Looking forward to seeing your tray idea's that white tray on the Cumberland is a pretty cool idea in my opinion.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:I also like the wider CAstmate version nice work buddy.  Looking forward to seeing your tray idea's that white tray on the Cumberland is a pretty cool idea in my opinion.

I agree. Really like it. Its rectangular PVC - Home Depot, Lowes, etc... easy peasy. And with the Cumberland only having one access point (the bar) - you can see how he's had to bungee it to the D rings to keep it from flopping around and spinning on that bar.

I'd integrate a Hawg Trough into it so it serves as insta measure as well as hard deck. Its nice.

We can do better. Mad

-K

8Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Updates!!!

Built the second side out.  Mounted all the gear.  Was loaded up, ready to go this morning and something came up at home.... so all loaded up and no feesh.  Sad

So I'll have to wait until next week to get V2.0 into the water.  

Next up is the hard deck. Smile

- K

9Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

How do you carry this down to the water? Can you still use the straps and carry it on your back?

10Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hi buddy

Cross bar.  I'm still a one-take-jake:

* Wedge the stripping apron under the seat

* Tervis in the cupholder

* Rods, fins and net in left hand

* Right hand holds the cross bar and I shoulder it to the site

I can walk a couple of blocks like that.  Smile

-K

11Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:43 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

So the metal frame is a handle as well?

12Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:33 am

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:So the metal frame is a handle as well?

Absolutely! Smile

It works great for that.

-K

13Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:28 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

How much $ can we expect to spend in order to duplicate your complete frame and gear set up (not including your FT nor rods)?
This is quite inspiring for many of us to DIY.  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

14Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:59 am

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SP Dan wrote:How much $ can we expect to spend in order to duplicate your complete frame and gear set up (not including your FT nor rods)?
This is quite inspiring for many of us to DIY.  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

Hey buddy

Great question. Let me put a pencil to it. Off the top of my pointed head, it should be cheaper than the OEM (or right in the ballpark.)

I'll get a BOM together and post it in a day or so.

- K

15Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:22 pm

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I love that idea. I have a electrical tube bender I could get my hands on to make one for the float tube I won this year. I also would like to know the final cost before I start down that road. Still in the box.

16Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey team

Here is an overview of the costs and materials required to build two rigid rail systems that will fit most any V-Boat style (Cumberland, Outcast, etc.) Tube.  

The benefit to a rigid rail system over, say, PVC is versatility.  You now have something to bolt and clamp stuff too - proper rod holders, Ram Mounts, Clamps for your phone and drinks, or whatever you can think of.  This system gives you infinite flexibility when you change your mind, improve your ride or add more stuff.  

And because you're using standard 1" OD pipe - the list of fittings is endless and your customization is limited only by your imagination.

Here's what we're looking at, essentially, for just the frames.  You'll season to taste with your own flourishes as time goes on.  But the frame is where you need to start.

Lets be sure we're sharing a common vocabulary:

"Rail" - these are the long pieces that run the length of the tube's primary flotation bladders.  You can make these as long or as short as you like.

"Braces" - these are the shorter, curved pieces that brace and keep the rails solid.  You can vary the width and curve of the braces to custom fit your specific tube.

"Rail Hardware" - these are the elbows and Tees I used to put all this together.

All of this is available from Amazon. I'm not in the business, so I don't have wholesale sources for this stuff. Some or many of you may. Rock on. Red Smile

RAILS - 1" OD Aluminum Tubing.  Two pieces of 72" will give you 4 30" frame pieces and a 24" cross bar.  You can make the rails as long or as short as you like.  On my next build, I will likely have the outside rails shorter and the inside ones longer.  On the pics above, they're the same length.

BRACES - I'm currently using 3/4" EMT (.922" OD.... pretty close) as I only have a 3/4 EMT bender and even when I sand and plug the 1" OD Aluminum, it kinda creases it.  I'm going to borrow a 1" bender soon and I'll upgrade the braces to the same pipe as the rails soon.   EMT is dirt cheap, and I had a few feet laying around.

RAIL HARDWARE - I got this from Amazon.  The Elbows cost me about $7 each and the Tees about $9 each.  They have a bundle pack of two TEEs and two Elbows for about $8 each.  Pretty cool. You'll pay a lot more from, say, West Marine.

KAYAK STRAPS - This is how I hold the systems to the tube.  They come very long, I trimmed them.   These straps really let you cinch down the systems.  ProTip:  Before I top off the tube each trip, I cinch them down... THEN pump up the tube a bit.  Makes for a rock solid fit.

PLASTIC CAPS - 1" OD plastic caps are dirt cheap.  I had a project from a few years ago where I bought a 40 pack... so I just grabbed 4 from my leftovers.  You can probably get them at HD or Lowes.  Amazon sells 25 packs for about $10 or so.

I built a cross-brace for the front of the tube.  Makes it easier to carry, move around and keeps things generally pretty tight.  It required two more elbows.  

I will be adding a hard deck soon. I'll post plans for that, as I've at last selected the material for the decking, and the hardware to fasten it.  salute  

IN CLOSING

There was a lot of trial and error that went into this first model. So costs for R&D were pretty steep.  Shocked

Using materials above, I can make the next one for about $150 - considerably less than two CastMate systems that are single braced with plastic, much less stable and not nearly as versatile.

I have had this system (in its various iterations) out on the water for over 100 hours so far, and I have not had a single problem with it.  This is the only way I've been able to come up with to use proper, proven hardware (Scotty Rod Holders, Ram Mount rail clamps, etc.) on an inflatable Float Tube.

My camera is more stable, my rods are confidently held in place and I know my fish finder and cell phone are going no place when clamped to this system.  

I don't break it down, as its not large.  And the weight it adds to the tube is negligible - the weight comes from the batteries and fish finder and rod holders, and other stuff.  

The rigid rack system is lightweight, portable and versatile.

You'll love it.  I sure do.  Razz

PM if I can offer assistance.  We can build this in about an hour or so.

Enjoy!

- Ken

Last edited by Mo2vation on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:29 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Very nice 2.0 WOW cheers

18Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Very nice set Ken.

Thanks for sharing this.

19Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:36 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

This should definitely fire-up the pots beneath a few of the do-it-yourselfer's out there!

Thank you Ken,

SP Dan <"))><

20Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Empty Re: Enterprise 2.0..... it begins. Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 am

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Gets my seal of approval.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum