FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for Jig Head help

+5
n2deepfsw
waxon67
CPT Kirk
jeffcpr
LGHT
9 posters

What size jig head do you use for Harbors?

Looking for Jig Head help Vote_lcap20%Looking for Jig Head help Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Looking for Jig Head help Vote_lcap20%Looking for Jig Head help Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Looking for Jig Head help Vote_lcap2100%Looking for Jig Head help Vote_rcap 100% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 4

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for Jig Head help Empty Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well my first time out in the harbor and Cpt Kirk gave him some great info on what type of lures to use, but unfortunately I didn't have the right jig head weight so he was generous enough to let me have one of his. I'm about to pick up a bunch of jig heads, but not sure exactly what weight everyone uses. Let me know what you prefer and why and if you think the colored ones are worth it or just save a few bucks and get the lead ones.

2Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:00 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I use the Walmart red package I don't remember there names. Me and Wax were talking about this on Sunday will he was kick my A#@.
I use just the regular unpainted lead heads 1/4 oz. most often. I have bigger but the 1/4 works best for me.
I don't thing painted work any better than unpainted on the fish but they sure do catch the fishermens eyes. Shocked lol!

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What is a good price per jig head? I found some of the colored ones with 3 ribs for .50 cents each.

4Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:05 am

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I like 1/8th. to 1/4 oz. but it depends on the tide and how deep you are fishing I have never gone more then 1/4 oz. in the harbor and I have caught fish on both the light 1/8oz. and the heavier 1/4oz. your going to get a better feel with the heavier jig heads. But you I like to go light. I will use 5lb test line with 1/8th. jig head and a small Gulp shrimp. I'm sure you will get a lot of opions. Good luck.

http://bassinthehood.com

5Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

In harbor fishing I don't use just one size. So I can't place a vote for just one. I keep 1/8 oz to 3/8 oz on hand at all times. I use the 3/16 oz to 1/4 most of the time. I think the paitnted heads are nice if you want to drop the cash but I don't buy them anymore. I use the plain lead head or paint them myself with whatever paint is around at the time. I just buy the Arkie's lead heads. I seem to do alright with them and they are inexpensive.

If I am throwing fresh water or using skirted jigs that is a different story. Lets leave that for another discussion. Very Happy

6Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:58 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I use 1/4-1/2 oz hammer heads, red and chartreuse with eyes for Swimbaits. Also dab some hot souce or unibutter for some stank.

7Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:41 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I use 3/8 - 1/2 in the harbor i was told that fish relate to the bottom and on the drop and with all the current in the harbor i like the drop just seems to use for me and everyone has the own style
Ed

8Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok i'll pick up several sizes and switch them up to see what one I prefer. I know the small trout ones I had where too light and wouldn't keep the bait on the bottom.

9Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:20 pm

with swim baits, i like to use BH jig heads or war baits 1/4oz & 3/8oz. The only bad thing is with war baits is the smallest size they have is 3/8oz but they work awsome in the eel grass.
I also like the owner darter jig heads as well. IMO - 1/4oz & 3/8oz is all you need for a swim bait lead head.

If using other baits like grubs, gulp swimming mullet etc, then you can use something lighting than 1/4oz but I think the smallest you want to use is 1/8oz.

The use of color lead heads, I think it dose play a role in fish biting but thats in my opion.

10Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:14 pm

This would also depend if you are using a spinning or casting outfit. However, in all the harbors North of San Diego, I ALWAYS fish nothing heavier than a 3/8oz lead head. There are so many variances that will determine what size head to use. Tide and wind will be at the top of the list. My go to size is a 1/4oz on both casting and spinning outfits. The key is, use as light of a lead head as you can get away with. The lighter the head, the more natural you bait presentation will look. Sometimes, conditions are just terrible and you have to use a heavier head. I will at most use a 1/2oz when it is a HAVE TO situation. IE: High Wind and or Heavy Current. Color of the lead heads? Does not matter at all. The Bass in the Harbors are "hunters". They are not looking at you lead head color. They feel the vibration of the bait on their lateral lines and when you put that bait in the right spot, they strike. I have caught some of the biggest harbor Spotties, Sandies and all came on just plain lead heads. If I was in open water and casting for White Sea Bass, or Calicos on a reef, then color plays a better role. Hope this helps you!

LC

11Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:19 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

nice it helped me but i would have rather hear it from the LC in person yea buddy you going on saturday right Twisted Evil

12Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:13 am

ed5000x wrote:nice it helped me but i would have rather hear it from the LC in person yea buddy you going on saturday right Twisted Evil

HAHA! Thanks Ed! I miss you too buddy! I won't be going on Saturday. I am not a fan of Marina Del Rey. Plus I am on set for a movie again. Mad Next time when you guys keep it closer to home!

13Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:38 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

lagunaCOCONUT wrote:
ed5000x wrote:nice it helped me but i would have rather hear it from the LC in person yea buddy you going on saturday right Twisted Evil

HAHA! Thanks Ed! I miss you too buddy! I won't be going on Saturday. I am not a fan of Marina Del Rey. Plus I am on set for a movie again. Mad Next time when you guys keep it closer to home!

well i tried hope to see you soon and try not to work so hard i already know you work too much so if you can and i see you dont like the rey but it would be nice to see you fishing with us again green happy Very Happy

14Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:20 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for all the tips. I think having a nice selection of sizes and just seeing how the tide and weather is once I get on the water will help. I just order a bunch of random lures and heads so I should be set for a while.

15Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey LC
on set huh? What film? I'm in the biz as well. Do mostly commercials. More time to fish.

16Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The name of the Walmart jig heads is Larkie I believe and they come in a clear bag with a red cardboard top, I use them too since the hooks are kind of low grade if I have to leave one in a fish it will rust out fairly quick. They are ok for small fish but if you are targeting something big they will straighten out on you in which case I use OWNER jig heads or Ganakatsu.

As far as size I use every size from 1/16 up to 3/8 depending on the size of my plastic, what depth I am at and what sink rate I want. Another thing is to consider is jighead type, are you going to be using ball head, darter head, football head, stand-up type or something with a spinner... that will affect sink rate and weight you want to go with aswell.

One you find a size and style you like check Ebay for them in lot sizes. There a few guys with hand poured led heads that you cannot beat the price and quantity locally. Hence I have 2 tool chest drawers full of lead heads.

17Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:54 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Pardon me Vagabond but I think you mean Arkie jig, a very old and respected company that was one of the original jig companies in the 70's and 80's

bodfish

18Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ah your right Arkie, I went down stairs after I posted and checked... no idea where I got the L from. They make some good jig heads for the money I just wish who ever does their packing would wake up and remember to mark what weight they are on the package. lol I got 10-15 packages with areas to put what weight they are and none of them are marked so I have to weigh them.

19Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ok I'm gonna have to see if I can find some arkies at either sports chalet or kmart or something.

Do you guys ever use leaders to allow you to quickly switch up your lures? I don't use them often, but it would be nice to simply unsnap a certain color weight combo and then attached another color / weight in a few seconds. I would have to spend the time making leaders for lures, but I don't mind tying them at home and spending more time with a lure in the water. Not sure if that will work since I've only fished a harbor once.

20Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:16 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LGHT wrote:Ok I'm gonna have to see if I can find some arkies at either sports chalet or kmart or something.

Do you guys ever use leaders to allow you to quickly switch up your lures? I don't use them often, but it would be nice to simply unsnap a certain color weight combo and then attached another color / weight in a few seconds. I would have to spend the time making leaders for lures, but I don't mind tying them at home and spending more time with a lure in the water. Not sure if that will work since I've only fished a harbor once.

well thats another reason why i have 3 set up 2 of they are almost the same and one is for a heavy fishing

21Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah what Ed said, just go with 2-3 set ups. I keep 2 spinning set ups with me one with 6lbs and another with 8lbs then I also bring 1 baitcaster with 6lbs.

22Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:54 am

Dano67

Dano67

usually if you are rigged out a couple different ways, it only takes a few seconds to change plastics. I think it takes Vagabond longer to find it than to change it. Shocked

23Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:09 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LGHT wrote:Ok I'm gonna have to see if I can find some arkies at either sports chalet or kmart or something.

I will use a leader in the salt if I am fishing a C-rig. Then it is only a short 6" or so leader. I dont use a snap swivel I will use just a barrel. This works nicely if you want your bait to just ride off the bottom and move with the current some as you retrieve. I have had good success with this and I do better than with just a T-Rig. I like it in eel grass because the sinker catches the crud and sort of plows the way for the bait to come through.

Switching poles is a great way to go as you have read. I fished last night with just one and after using 2 poles in the past I realized I missed the convenience.

24Looking for Jig Head help Empty Re: Looking for Jig Head help Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dano67 wrote:usually if you are rigged out a couple different ways, it only takes a few seconds to change plastics. I think it takes Vagabond longer to find it than to change it. Shocked

lol so you have seen my assortment of lead heads I use in the harbor... it also doubles as my anchor =)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum