by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:14 am

» Float Tubing waters with gators
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:42 am

» Big News Maxxon Pricing has changed.
by jeffcpr Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:39 pm

» Another Mod To My Cumberland
by Jerdon Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 pm

by SP Dan Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 pm

» FOCL Float Tube Derby Bass Tournament: Castaic Lake :)
by ronniek524 Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:32 pm

» My Braided Line Epic Failure
by OldMan Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm

» Beginning of a budget tube
by 87tpita Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:22 pm

» LAB Sunday 9-15-2019
by SP Dan Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm

» Preferred Species
by OldMan Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am

Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder

Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:52 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin
Well, I finally decided to build a custom rod rack for my float tube. I picked up some pieces of PVC pipe to play with today.

I have a few ideas on the design of the holder, but I'm not sure how to secure it to the tube. Shocked

I know some of you guys have built your own holders. Can some of you guys share so pics your custom holders, to give me some ideas?

Thanks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

2Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:58 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ed,... I think this ones for you

bodfish

3Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:59 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I secure mine with webbing under the tube and zip ties through D rings and around the PVC. I will see if I can post a few pic's for you tomorrow. Keep us informed on your progress and good luck.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:02 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Ed,... I think this ones for you

bodfish

X2

5Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:04 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Slow down a tad. Give us some description on your tube. I can give you a visual on how to customize the rod holder with proper balance, based on what you're hauling as a complete fishing outfit. Kelster, one of the Fish Cat 4 owner, has a very unique design for both 3 rods holder, balanced with 2 tilted rods holders on one side, while 3 rods carrier on the other side. Mine is a 45° 3 rod mount system for one side, 2 rod holders on the back, balanced with a Humminbird 728 fish finder on the other side, with a 8 AmpHr battery. May have to decrease it to a 3AmpHr. It's pretty heavy. I also retrofit the Caddis tube with a small 4 wheel cart system frame (PVC) underneath to haul my tube on the ground, rather lugging that thing and break my back. The frame and wheels create a positive buoyancy system just in case the tube takes a dive.

6Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:06 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Picture's please sir I would like to see this sound like a cool set up.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:07 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Picture's please sir I would like to see this sound like a cool set up.
Yes, pics please...

8Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:21 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Here's and older picture of the tube with frame, 1st version, with oars included. I'll search for the photo of the frame version 2 with wheels and fish finder attachments. If not, I'll clean the garage tomorrow, and take a picture of the updated frame for you. Wife's corner of the garage is not something to laugh about.

Can't seem to upload the file to this forum, so, forgive me, but here's the link to Photobucket:

9Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:39 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Theasianguy, do you keep the frame on the whole time? How much extra weight does it put on the tube?

10Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Yep. The frame is attached directly to the tube, using a 1-inch wide poly, quick snap (purchased at Walmart for $2). The frame is attached at 5 points:

2 at the tube's front, just before the side pouches.
2 between the back bladders' support and the side pouches
1 at the rear, attached using the mounting strap, just a precaution if one of the four straps accidental unsnapped in the water.

Total weight for the frame with wheel = 15lbs.
Total weight for all gears and tube's: 57lbs (break my freaking back to carry from parking lot to water), 1/4 mile. With the wheels, hah! I can pull that puppy anywhere all day.

Make sure all threads are sealed properly to gain that positive buoyancy. From my calculation and tests, I gained a 15lbs of positive buoyancy on top of the total weight between tube and frame setup. Add two extra float buoys to your side (the ones for the side of the boats), you get an additional 45lbs of positive buoyancy, just in case your tube really get deflated. Bail the tube, and it will remain floating, while you swim and haul to shore.

11Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:53 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Well i just been useing velcro but last week i bought those twister ties from costco, 10 bucks but i am have trying them out tomorrow wow
but velcro works great i have a bunch so let me know if you need some
Ed

12Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:07 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
That's a well planned tube.

13Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:08 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Ed, good luck tomorrow. Hope you have clear sky's.

14Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:09 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
me too if rain i will not go i dont care about the cold i dont want to go byself in the rain but if clear i am going

15Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:23 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

This is my set up i can hold 2 pole net and my light set up plus pliers and lip grippers

16Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:05 am

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Here's and older picture of the tube with frame, 1st version, with oars included. I'll search for the photo of the frame version 2 with wheels and fish finder attachments. If not, I'll clean the garage tomorrow, and take a picture of the updated frame for you. Wife's corner of the garage is not something to laugh about.

Can't seem to upload the file to this forum, so, forgive me, but here's the link to Photobucket:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by NulodPBall on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

17Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:11 am

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
My set up, I got it from Corona Lakes site, Aaron's corner. The other side is three rod holders, two angled one straight up.

18Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:21 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Nice setup Kelster.

19Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:48 am

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Thanks, DYI on the site you just have to tweek it for yourself. I still need to remove the net holder in the back, it takes up too much space.

20Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:17 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
There are plenty of designs everywhere. We have to pull everything together and put it into one location. Drawing, specs, etc. I wouldn't mind drawing out one. I had an autocad and hand drawn designs for my multiple float types' versions, but for the world of me, I can't seem to find those files from my backup. Go figure. I'm getting old and senile. Anyone want to venture into this project with me in collecting all the available designs out there, and store it here somewhere?

21Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:01 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Slow down a tad. Give us some description on your tube. I can give you a visual on how to customize the rod holder with proper balance, based on what you're hauling as a complete fishing outfit. Kelster, one of the Fish Cat 4 owner, has a very unique design for both 3 rods holder, balanced with 2 tilted rods holders on one side, while 3 rods carrier on the other side. Mine is a 45° 3 rod mount system for one side, 2 rod holders on the back, balanced with a Humminbird 728 fish finder on the other side, with a 8 AmpHr battery. May have to decrease it to a 3AmpHr. It's pretty heavy. I also retrofit the Caddis tube with a small 4 wheel cart system frame (PVC) underneath to haul my tube on the ground, rather lugging that thing and break my back. The frame and wheels create a positive buoyancy system just in case the tube takes a dive.

Shocked

I'm just keeping it simple. I'm thinking two rod holders and a slot for a net.

I do know that it's gotta be portable, light weight, small, and the rods/net easily accessible. I'm thinking of having the holders at a 15-20 degree angle, but as you mentioned, balance is gonna be a problem.

The float tube I'll be using for the project is the Caddis Nevada Gold.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is my set up i can hold 2 pole net and my light set up plus pliers and lip grippers

Nice. Like the pliers idea.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
My set up, I got it from Corona Lakes site, Aaron's corner. The other side is three rod holders, two angled one straight up.

Nice bass. Cool

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

22Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:51 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
That tube is the same as mine flyfishingfool. It's up to you to have an all out war with you tube design if you thin you're packing major gears or go simple design like Kelster. Let us know of your long game plan, such as upgrading with fish finder and anchor for windy days, or brave the fronteir with the bare essentials.

23Attempting To  Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder Empty Re: Attempting To Fabricate A PVC Rod Holder on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I like this setup the best. Since I have very little space in front of the side bags my scotty pole hold must be turned outward. If I could get something like the above I would be able to get rid of it altogether.

http://www.socalmeatup.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum