Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Freshwater Fishing tips and tricks » Cold water bassin'

Cold water bassin'

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cold water bassin' Empty Cold water bassin' on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:49 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Well the water is starting to cool off and will only get colder. This means we must change out techniques and tackle in order to catch the now lethargic fish.

Things I do when the water is cold and the bite is slow:

Smaller baits! I have a theory that if you put a small bait in front of any fish with a natural presentation there is a good chance the fish will take it. Why pass up an easy meal? Some people belive in using a bigger bait because the fish are "looking for one big meal to last them a while". I believe this too during colder months but a bigger bait not only looks like more calories to a fish but as something that MIGHT get away. After years of experimenting ive found that a smaller bait fished slowly is the key!

Fish slow! Fish are cold blooded which means they are the same temperature as their surrounding. If its hot the fish are hot and if its cold they are cold....and lethargic. This means a few things...but the most important is that the fish are not going to chase down a fast moving bait or even go far to capture its meal unless it is really worth it. A lot of research has proven that fish will choose to eat only if the calories they consume outweigh the calories needed to capture their meal. Some research on eels have shown they will choose their meal based off of how many calories it takes to consume the (dead) meal based off of the toughness of the meal....i dont have the data in front of me but eels will sometimes need to bite while thrashing their body around to break off the food. Its amazing that they will take a soft meal vs. a hard meal in order to save calories. I suppose some of this doesnt apply in every situation....using a reaction bait for example might trigger the fish to eat not because they are hungry, but because they are mad or feel threatened.

Here is what i get when i combine all of this:

Fish a smaller bait (fish views it as an easy meal not likely to eacape). Fish are lethargic so they won't travel far from their "home" to capture food. This is especiallytrue with ambush predators like spotted bay bass. So....fish your bait TIGHT to structure.

One final thing i like to do is use a scent. The fish are lethargic and you are working your bait slowly tight to structure right in front of their face. They have more time to inspect your offering and a scent could be the deciding factor for these fish to eat. I prefer hot sauce because first off it works and second i feel like it is easier to apply that uni-butter or other similar products. Uni butter is amazing too but in my opinion hot sauce just happens to be more convinient for me especiallyw
when i use a small caribiner to attach the bottle to my tube. I am no fishing expert (yet) but have been fishing long enough to come up with this technique.

I hope it helps some people out and i am really curious to hear other peoples tips for cold water bassin. Feel free to share some other ideas....its
a perfect time for us to change up our tactics and try new things to catch more fish!

Brian

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

2Cold water bassin' Empty Re: Cold water bassin' on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:22 pm

good write up and I agree. smaller baits and slooooowwwww.
Night time, bigger baits but still slooooowwwwww.

I dont do any LMB fishing as all I do is ocean fishing but its the same thing.

I will from time to time speed things up and try to a reaction bite that dose help.
Exp : friday night, 1 out of the 5 fish where reaction bite and the other 2 where pitching a small bait next the piling and the other 2 where on big baits fished slow.

So far from all my years of fishing the bays, I have learned that there is no real pattern from each time out through out the year. All my fish that I get are never the same pattern.

IMO, stick to few basic patterns and you will get a fish or 2. I am always looking for that big fish so I always throw a bigger bait but I fish it slow.

3Cold water bassin' Empty Re: Cold water bassin' on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:29 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Interesting miller. I have a whole different theory for night time. Use black and fish slow.....sosslow it hurts sometimes.

One thing i forgot to mention and i will add: big baits are good in cold water as long as they are presented naturally and tight to stricture.

One thing i believe in for 95% of my fishing is fish your bait as naturally as you possibly can and always make it look like an easy meal. Their are a few exceptions to this though....

4Cold water bassin' Empty Re: Cold water bassin' on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:46 pm

@MASSfisher wrote:Interesting miller. I have a whole different theory for night time. Use black and fish slow.....sosslow it hurts sometimes.

One thing i forgot to mention and i will add: big baits are good in cold water as long as they are presented naturally and tight to stricture.

One thing i believe in for 95% of my fishing is fish your bait as naturally as you possibly can and always make it look like an easy meal. Their are a few exceptions to this though....

x2 that, I see I did leave afew things out

5Cold water bassin' Empty Re: Cold water bassin' on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:52 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin
Hmm... I'm guessing you're talking about freshwater bassin' so I relocated your thread.

I heard that big baits work best for winter bassin.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

6Cold water bassin' Empty Re: Cold water bassin' on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:23 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Thanks for moving it. I had both fresh and salt in mind when i wrote it...but it seems more applicable to freshwater.

Also iv been experimenting and im starting to think bigger is better in fresh for the bass that can go 14 days between a meal! (Cant remember where i read that but its pretty interesting) I feel like there are more opportunities for food in tbe salt so bait size isnt as important as a SLOW retrieve.

7Cold water bassin' Empty Re: Cold water bassin' on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:51 pm

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Thanks for moving it. I had both fresh and salt in mind when i wrote it...but it seems more applicable to freshwater.

Also iv been experimenting and im starting to think bigger is better in fresh for the bass that can go 14 days between a meal! (Cant remember where i read that but its pretty interesting) I feel like there are more opportunities for food in tbe salt so bait size isnt as important as a SLOW retrieve.

Oops, moved it to the wrong section.

I read an acticle explaining the use of larger bait during winter bassin. I'll have to go through my mags and find the actile.

And yes slow retrieve was mentioned does play a role in winter bassin.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

8Cold water bassin' Empty Re: Cold water bassin' on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Craig

Craig
New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
Swim Baits up here in Northern California working well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum