by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:14 am

» Float Tubing waters with gators
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:42 am

» Big News Maxxon Pricing has changed.
by jeffcpr Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:39 pm

» Another Mod To My Cumberland
by Jerdon Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 pm

by SP Dan Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 pm

» FOCL Float Tube Derby Bass Tournament: Castaic Lake :)
by ronniek524 Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:32 pm

» My Braided Line Epic Failure
by OldMan Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm

» Beginning of a budget tube
by 87tpita Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:22 pm

» LAB Sunday 9-15-2019
by SP Dan Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm

» Preferred Species
by OldMan Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am

Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Float Tube, Pontoon, and Equipment Related Discussions » Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!!

Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!!

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I've been debating between the Prowler and the Cumberland.

After doing research on the other stuff I needed to get started, I noticed my bill was exploding. I felt that I need to invest in certain key components, like fins and comfortable waders. It seemed like the 2 tubes were both excellent, with almost all 5-star reviews no matter where I looked. I made the decision to go with the $200 Cumberland over the $520 Prowler, and put the money saved towards a pair of Force Fins, and breathable waders.

Here's my list of stuff I ordered to get started.
- Force Fins ($$$ .. ouch!)
- Breathable stockingfeet chest waders, cabelas
- Cumberland float tube ($200), Amazon
- EGO rubber floating landing net, large, 19x21x36in
- inflating PFD
- small grapnel anchor
- small double-action hand pump (I hope it's small, fits in the tube storage??)
- small telescoping, floating, paddle (to help steer, paddle, and beat off sharks & sea lions)
- small misc safety items, watercraft air horn, whistle,

I got the fishing gear. I'll probably start with just 2 rods, a baitcaster on a teramar rod, and a spinner. I'll probably start with basic 3" BH swimbaits? Any tips on fishing the LAB? I also like some of those WarBaits. They look hot. Twisted Evil

I love shooting GoPro fishing videos with my son! Someday, would love to be able to drift side-by-side with him, and catch some bass and halibut. I like some of the very stable frame mounted gopro videos! So, I think I'm going to make a PVC frame with customizable rod holders and stuff, kind of like what has been posted here on FTFF, and at:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So.. what am I missing? Please let me know!

Also, I'll admit.. I'm a bit nervous going out on this tube alone. I'm familiar with Los Alamitos Bay (LAB), but mainly for shore fishing. I'm worried about the kicking, steering, where to go, how to fish, getting lost, boat traffic, giant batrays, safety, etc.. So basically, I'm a total noob here. Would anyone be willing to take a noob out in the kiddie pool section of LAB sometime? In the near future, I'd like to putter around and fish in LAB with my 8-year old son, so any spots that are convenient to launch, and not have to kick too much to get on some fish.. that info would be awesome. For now, I'm focusing on myself, and getting safe and competent at this!

Ok.. thanks for all the knowledge here.. and please keep the advice coming. I really appreciate it. I'm excited bounce , and looking forward to meeting you guys out there!!

-Jay

2Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I'll just say what I have, then I'll offer some info. re: the lab.

O.K. Fins..Mares Volo 60.00
Waders from sports Chalet (caddis) under 100.00
Fin sox 15.00

Tube fishcat 4, bought used 125.00
PFD 5.00 the cheap one..it works.
No anchor, no paddle, no live well, no fish finder.
Cheap foot pump from Big 5..13.00 still works great 2 yrs later.
And outside of my fishing gear, that's it.
Unless you plan on fishing for some fairly large fish, a fw bass rig will work fine.

I normally take 1 7'mhf spinning rod, with a size 2500 reel loaded either with 30 lb braid, or 8lb coploy.

Also 1 7' mhxf baitcasting rig, I have 2 reels, 1 with 15lb coploy, and 1 reel with 8 lb coploy line, which line I use depends on where I fish, i.e. the LAB, docks ect, I use the 8 lb, for kelp and heavy structure the 15 goes.

Here's what I'd take to the Lab to Help assure you catch some fish, even if it's a lizard fish so the kid can have some fun..

6'6" to 7' mf spinning rig load it up with a good 6lb fluro line. Buy, if you don't have some 1/4 oz round jig heads with fine wire hooks, size 2 no bigger. Then grab a Bunch of 3" chartreuse with black spots, i.e. pepper, that's the only color you really need, hook the grub with the trail up. Cast out, and make a slow retrieve. Be careful around docks, as the current can get these lures hung up on the pilons and such. Also you can slow roll these, and even troll them for some surprise catches at the LAB. I have caught WSB, Some good sized sandies, spotties, croker, Sculpin, rock fish, and of course all of our favorite, the dreaded lizard fish, oh and hali's, can't forget those..lol Anoth good bait is the 1/4 oz big hammer triangle head jig with a 3" spotty special big hammer swimbait, other colors work well, like baby mackrel, calico hunter, bay smelt, ect.

Anyway, that's a start. There are other ways to get fish, although I target spotties 99.99% of the time, with other lures and patterns. Hope that helps a bit. Have fun!

3Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:31 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
NICE setup Docrunner. My only advise is ti use the K.I.S.S method when you tube...KEEP IT SIMPLE SILLY Thumbs Up.

Hammer and I have been at this tubing thing for awhile and for me atleast I feel it is better not to clutter your rig with a bunch of extras.

Here is my setup:

Caddis Nav II (JUST GOT MY NEW ONE! Thumbs Up )
Thruster fins - Sport Authority $12.00
PDF - Walmart $5
Lip Gripper - Walmart $5
2 way pump - Walmart $10
BPS Waders - $59.99

I learned the hard way that if you have the right rod set-up you only need one...maybe two rods with you.

Crucial medium spinning with shimano CI4
Crucial medium with shimano 200dsv

I tend to fish the lighter stuff 4lb - 8lb but that is my style.

4Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:41 am

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I agree with sonarbp I use two to three rods, two rod rack one on each side I would add pliers and maybe a net keep tackle simple for the situation. And go fish.

http://bassinthehood.com

5Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:NICE setup Docrunner. My only advise is ti use the K.I.S.S method when you tube...KEEP IT SIMPLE SILLY [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

Hammer and I have been at this tubing thing for awhile and for me atleast I feel it is better not to clutter your rig with a bunch of extras.

Here is my setup:

Caddis Nav II (JUST GOT MY NEW ONE! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
PDF - Walmart $5
Lip Gripper - Walmart $5
2 way pump - Walmart $10
BPS Waders - $59.99

I learned the hard way that if you have the right rod set-up you only need one...maybe two rods with you.

Caddis Nav II (JUST GOT MY NEW ONE! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
PDF - Walmart $5
Lip Gripper - Walmart $5
2 way pump - Walmart $10
BPS Waders - $59.99

Still gotta ask permition my g/f to go fishing, Priceless! geek

6Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:51 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Every good advise guys I take similar stuff specaily the lip gripper when ever you are ready to go let us know and I am sure if I can't go someone will we hit the lab all the time and you can't go wrong with the Cumberland (that's what I ride) I also would get a camp or root beer gulp bait they work every well at the lab so when are you ready to go just post up a trip and see who comes in and it sound like your ready for battle just get the lip gripper and some needle nose piers for those hard to remove hooks

7Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:52 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Seems these fellers are steering you in the right direction. You will kind of find your own way on a lot of this stuff as time goes by and you gain experience. Best thing I could recommend is get out and fish with some fellas and see how they float and what they use. Go out with any of us and we can show/give you some baits to get you started and demo some techniques. I fish the LAB all the time as I am close to it. If you ever want to meet up and fish just hit me up.

Best of luck!

8Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Tons of sweet info being tossed around here. I really dont have anything to add....seems like everyone has covered everything. I love tossing plastics for spotties but if you are taking your son nothing beats some freshly pumped ghost shrimp! If you wanna throw artificials you cant go wrong with 3" big hammers and 3" T&C swimgrubs.

Ive only fished the LAB once before but I am willing to make the drive up there. If a few more guys are willing to fish there i'm down....id go myself but wouldnt know where to go in that place. If you ever wanna fish dana point or sd bay/mission bay let me know.

Sounds like you bought the perfect stuff though....you should be fine. Now the only hard part is finding the feesh.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

9Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Still gotta ask permition my g/f to go fishing, Priceless! geek

SHHHHH...the wife doesn't know about the girlfriend green happy

10Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:20 am

@sonarbp wrote:
@Aquaholic38 wrote:Still gotta ask permition my g/f to go fishing, Priceless! geek

No wornder you don't have time to fish lol

11Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
miller wrote:No wornder you don't have time to fish lol

I have a great wife...lets me go fishing pretty much whenever I want. Its this work thing that is the problem. Put 70+ hours in last week for the Fred Hall Show and now getting ready for Del Mar not to mention my regular job.

MAN I NEED TO FISH!

12Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
miller wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Still gotta ask permition my g/f to go fishing, Priceless! geek

No wornder you don't have time to fish lol

lol! This site rocks!! Call me Jay, guys.. Very Happy

"My nightmare is, that after I die, my wife sells all my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!" (not my joke, but funny)

Thanks for all the awesome info! Looks like I overspent a bit on some stuff. Newbie float tube enthusiasm!!! I decided that knowing me, I need to invest in making this as comfortable and safe as possible. So I opted for the breathable waders over the neoprene. Also, the light and flat PFD over the foam cell ones. My casting sucks already! And if I have to wear a bulky foam PFD, I don't see it happening! I'll get a fish grip if my plastic pink FTFF grip doesn't get here first! Thumbs Up

And super thanks for all the offers to fish! I accept them all! It reduces my anxiety level X100.

I'll see u guys out there soon!
-J

13Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:46 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
"My nightmare is, that after I die, my wife sells all my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!" (not my joke, but funny)
lol!

14Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:47 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:....
but if you are taking your son nothing beats some freshly pumped ghost shrimp! ...

Ive only fished the LAB once before but I am willing to make the drive up there. If a few more guys are willing to fish there i'm down....id go myself but wouldnt know where to go in that place. If you ever wanna fish dana point or sd bay/mission bay let me

How do u rig the ghosties from the tube? My son usually soaks ghosties from the shore at LAB on a short Carolina rig. I've soaked squid on the bottom with a sliding egg cannonball rig (aka Texas rig?). I need to secure the ghosties well on the hook, and usually use a strand of copper wire to reinforce the shrimp. Otherwise, my 8yr old son's wild casts will just fling shrimp shrapnel into the bay.

Yeah, let's set it up! LAB or SD. I used to live in SD (rancho penasquitos area). I'd love to drive down. Hopefully, I can keep up with ya on the water!

Thanks again for the tips!
-J

Last edited by Docrunner on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

15Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:50 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:NICE setup Docrunner. My only advise is ti use the K.I.S.S method when you tube...KEEP IT SIMPLE SILLY [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

Here is my setup:

PDF - Walmart $5
Lip Gripper - Walmart $5
2 way pump - Walmart $10
BPS Waders - $59.99

PDF - Walmart $5
Lip Gripper - Walmart $5
2 way pump - Walmart $10
BPS Waders - $59.99

Still gotta ask permition my g/f to go fishing, Priceless! geek
Lmao that part is true I forgot about that

16Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:12 am

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Oh, forgot 1 thing, get some UNI BUTTER.. Thumbs Up

Also, like Brian (sonarbp) you may want to get some lip gripers, they come in handy for the hali's..and yes, I actually liped one once.. green happy

17Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:19 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Oh, forgot 1 thing, get some UNI BUTTER.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also, like Brian (sonarbp) you may want to get some lip gripers, they come in handy for the hali's..and yes, I actually liped one once.. green happy

Ha ha now I HAVE GOT TO HEAR ABOUT THAT!! Shocked

18Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:20 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Oh, forgot 1 thing, get some UNI BUTTER.. Thumbs Up

LOL...the good ole days!

19Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:20 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Well I got an extra pair of lip gripper you can borrow if I am around when you fish so let get some lines in the water and float and I have a sea doo scooter I will bring in case you do fall be hind I will tow you lol

20Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Well I got an extra pair of lip gripper you can borrow if I am around when you fish so let get some lines in the water and float and I have a sea doo scooter I will bring in case you do fall be hind I will tow you lol

No worries.. I can get a gripper, and I think I have one coming from here too. What's a sea doo scooter? Is that like a jetski? I assume dragging that behind your float tube might get tiring on the legs! lol!

I just googled it. That Sea scooter is cool! I think I'll get one for my son if/when he gets into tubing.
I'm getting excited!

Sadly, my waders are on backorder and won't get to me for about 3-weeks.
So, I'm sure for the next few weeks, I'll be tinkering in my garage on my float tube, and bugging you people with my crazy mods and silly questions!

Here's a start...

(1) is is better/safer for me to try float tubing first in a lake? LAB is so convenient to me.. but I can probably drive to a lake if it's a good idea.

(2) have any of you caught something SO big, you had to cut it off and release? I'm thinking large batrays. In LAB, from shore, my PB batray
was a 54" beast that dragged me up and down 50-yards of sand. Plus, I don't need that stinger anywhere near my tube or body. This was on a
5/0 hook, but I know people that have caught pretty big (40+") bats on as small as a 1/0 hook. I'd probably target halibut with a 1/0 or 2/0,
right?

Last edited by Docrunner on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:38 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Well I got an extra pair of lip gripper you can borrow if I am around when you fish so let get some lines in the water and float and I have a sea doo scooter I will bring in case you do fall be hind I will tow you lol

No worries.. I can get a gripper, and I think I have one coming from here too. What's a sea doo scooter? Is that like a jetski? I assume dragging that behind your float tube might get tiring on the legs! lol!

That's why Ed can leg press buildings! Lol

22Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
How do you all feel about Force Fins?

23Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:44 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Force fins are really nice but I can't see spending all that money for them unless you get a killer deal. I just use scuba fins.

24Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I have a pair (the adjustable pair with Neoprene uppers and heel) . I swore by them seriously, but three years ago I bought Omega fins...have not touched the FF since.

25Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! Empty Re: Pulled the trigger! Now what? HELP!! on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I like mine. Ed loves his. But the price was right on them all around. Like Gil said, they are pricey and I wouldn't direct someone into buying them at retail or even ebay prices in some cases. I would just go with scuba fins or the Caddis fins and along those lines.

I fish with a guy who uses Churchill fins which are a bodly surfing/spongeboard fin. He loves them. You can pick those up for around 60 or less if you watch the papers as they say.

I sponge with Viper fins and I want to try those with my tube this summer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum