» 2019 Toy Drive
by jeffcpr Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:28 pm

» Another Maxxon XPW 240 Raffle
by jeffcpr Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:43 pm

» LAH Sat 10-12-19
by SP Dan Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:18 pm

» First Golden Trout
by Troutbum Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:23 am

» The 2nd Annual Hookup Bait Tournament Happened!!!
by SP Dan Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:33 am

Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » do fish have memory?

do fish have memory?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1do fish have memory? Empty do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I was just wondering few days ago... If they get cought on a spinner for instance; will they remember the traumatic experience and ignore all spinners from that point forward?

2do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:36 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
OK,.. here is a huge can of worms that has been studied to death. Short answer, yes, but no. fish don't remember things the way you and I do, so the answer although simple is a bit hard to explain. It is sort of the way small children remember good things or bad, and their memories are short (thank God), because they just don't have a sophisticated enough brain and don't store information the way we can. Also be aware that there is a distinct difference between memory, conditioning, and instinctual reaction to a previously experienced situation or condition. (the past).

This is too much for me to tackle at this hour. to be continued,....

bodfish

3do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I am looking forward to hearing more from you bodfish, and I agree no true memory with these simple creatures. That is a good thing because I need all the help I can get.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:46 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I don't remember anything so there I think lol

5do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I don't remember anything so there I think lol

You took the words out of my...out of ...uh...umm...huh?

6do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 am

Lok Dog

Lok Dog
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I hope not lol

https://www.facebook.com/lokey.rincon

7do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:51 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Cant wait to hear what you say Bod. Ive read a lot on this too and will have to check my books to refresh myself. If I remember correctly in the book fish were compared to birds (as fas as intelligence). Some birds are stupid....reallu stupid. Other birds are pretty smart.

I think it has to do with which fish we are talking about.

A good scenario to think about would be bedding fish. They are in the shallows, targeted by many people. They might be "easy" to catch at first but later on they have lock jaw!

Interested in what everybody else says...

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

8do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:09 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I wish I had a pond where i can raise big fish, I would experiment and came with my own conclusion study cant wait for the rest of your input budfish!

9do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:36 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
there was a study done various time with gold fish by various university in the east coast, as well as three in Europe, using various species. The results were similar, if not exactly, the same exhibit traits:

1. Max short term memory of 8 hours, during foraging/feeding cycle. No long term memory retention recorded. Using maze method, the fish species was able to learn the different paths to the same feeding zone. However, when the fish left to resume their normal activities more than 24 hours, and resubjected the same experiment, the fish require retraining for a good 48 hours before they reacquired the memory skill to navigate the mazes.

2. Pond owners acknowledged species of rock bass, greenies, and panfish becoming hooks' shy, after exposing them to various captures using different baits/lures, with in between periods of 48 to 72 hours. However, this is only recorded in ponds, since ponds are isolated water body which schools of fish react universally to leading fish (larger, more experience males/females). There was no record of tagged fish that had been captured various time in larger water, such as the bays, but there's noticeable info reported by anglers for larger bass from fresh water lakes, such as Lake Perris, Big Bear Lake, exhibiting wounds from previous encounters with anglers. Regular Texas, Carolina, dropshot rigs with plastics would not be enough to catch these larger fish. However, trickeries using Cal-Alabama rigs, or shakey heads hooks with more convincing life-like bait fish that hide the hooks completely were the only thing that manage to land the trophy size fish.

So, there's a definite learning curve to the different species, as well as the years of exposure to capture rates for being hooks' shy. Not enough documentation to provide a definitive answer, but the answer is coming out of the darkness. I've been collecting the information over the last 3 decades about this subject as well. It interested me after learning the aquafauna cultures and their annual rituals in high school, with genetic imprints to new generations of their experiences and knowledge acquired.

10do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
awesome info. Leo!!! thanx

11do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:45 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Awww man I gotta find my dang book! Dont know where i put it....

There was one study with some fish (i think from Australia) that "memorize" the location of certain holes or tidepools. They come in with the high tide to feed and stay there for quite some time...until the tide goes out. From here they can jump from one hole to another in order to find deeper water. Missing another hole woule mean certain death....ill keep digging for the book. Interesting stuff though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

12do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:47 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
You might be talking about the migrating orcas.

13do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:59 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Welp, I used to have a big fresh water tank and in it I had two very large Oscars I had raised from fry. One albino and one reg tiger. The tiger was always picked on by the albo...so I had a long wooden spoon and I would "thump" the albo on the head to make him stop. It got to where all I had to do was put the spoon on the coffee table when they were going at it and the albo would run for cover. Memory, conditioning ...I don't know. I know some fish in local puddles are pretty hard to catch cuz they have seen everything or that is the theory. If you can get bit your doin good. I do believe big fish are big because they have excelled at the learning/conditioning curve. However, I will not argue with the science and the evidence. I really feel its up to the fisherman at all times. It's always a test of what "YOU REMEMBER" ha aha ha ahaha a aha a hahah aaha a ahahahahahahah!!! study lol!

14do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:You might be talking about the migrating orcas.
except that orcas aren`t fish pirat

15do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:23 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:You might be talking about the migrating orcas.
except that orcas aren`t fish pirat

ZING!!!! lol!

16do fish have memory? Empty Re: do fish have memory? on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:24 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
rabbit lol! When you mention Australia (my aunts and uncles that live along the coast lines also study the tidal systems) and the fish that go in and out of the tidal pools, it dawned on me to mention the orcas since that was the last studies done along the coast lines. Just throwing in what I recall.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum