FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» "Saved" By The Skunk-Buster at LAB 10-19-20
by SP Dan Today at 7:40 pm

» 9th Legal Hali & New PB, Sun 10 18-20
by SP Dan Today at 7:28 pm

» SALMON SEASON IS OPEN!!
by JohnnyB Today at 3:50 pm

» Are casting reels labeled right
by Jerdon Today at 9:04 am

» Its about time for another Pumpkin Carving Contest.
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:38 pm

» Report From NPH
by JohnnyB Yesterday at 8:09 pm

» LAH Thurs 10-15-20. Trifecta, Legal and "The One That-Got-Away!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:55 pm

» Shinfins???
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:48 am

» Tray for the Cumberland
by JohnnyB Yesterday at 9:08 am

» FS Maxxon XP240
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:02 am

» 10th Annual FTFF Toy Drive Details and List
by jeffcpr Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:05 am

» FixMyKite self stick valves
by Jerdon Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Freshwater Fishing tips and tricks » The follow up

The follow up

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The follow up Empty The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:10 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey guys,
Ok Here is one of the most fun (and valuable) things I learned of as a LMB fisherman, and that was the "Follow Up Bait". The Follow Up is usually a confidence bait that you have always available to use immediately after a missed bite on a reaction bait.

Example: One day at Casitas a friend of mine and I were fishing Big trout baits in heavy cover, ripping them over submerged brush. At one point he got a vicious strike that missed. We could see the fish stalled where the lure had been, obviously fired up but confused as to where his quarry had gone after the equally vicious swing my friend had applied after the missed strike. At the moment I did not have my trout bait rod in my hand. Without thinking I grabbed a rod off the deck and pitched a 10" worm on top of him and without hesitation the fish completely engulfed my bait! YEEHAA! 12lbs !!

Afterward we stopped and discussed what we had just seen happen. Obviously the trout bait drew the bass out of cover and stimulated an extremely aggressive bite. He missed, but was still fired up so that when I pitched my worm on top of him he really did not care that it was not what he had originally sought to bite, and bit it anyways.

Ok, at the time we thought we had just discovered the Holy Grail, of bass fishing, but in reality we had just observed what most good pros already knew and knew how to exploit, with The Backup Bait.

Here's what happens,...
Reaction Baits are designed to do just that, draw a reaction bite from an aggressive fish. (and there is always one in the bunch) When properly stimulated (convinced?) a fish in an aggressive mood will contradict basic survival behavior and pursue a bait with reckless abandon. But!,.. If he misses, he is still at such a hyper state of stimulation that for a short period he is still susceptible to striking at almost anything!

Example 2: While trolling one day between Maui and Lanaii a "short" (under 500lbs) Blue Marlin came up in the pattern (seven lures) and proceeded to beat the crap out of every lure we had swimming, bill whacking them all until he was literally 15' off the port corner. Lit up like a neon sign, pissed off and looking for something to beat to death! Again, without thinking, I grabbed a 50lb rig that had a Clarke Spoon on it and dropped it in front of him. Insta bite !, and an hour later 350lbs of Blue Marlin tagged and released!

Most experienced pros have a Backup Bait on the deck ready to go. My favorite is the Senko.( By the way there is only one Senko, the best Senko and it is made by Gary Yamamoto. I have fished all the copies and there is still only ONE Senko. )

What is your Backup Bait?

bodfish

2The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:00 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Interesting, interesting, interesting! I have to give this some thought because to be frank, I don't use this strategy. Yet, I can remember times when I did but just thought I was switching it up or trying something new without the insights you mention above. I have missed a strike and then switched up and landed a fish but I did not know this was the possible reason why. I will have to say I can not pin down a "back up" bait but I think I will.

Excellent lesson for me bodfish and I thank you!

3The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:25 am

SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
almost the same deal was in an article in the most recent nafc magazine....good article...good advice

4The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
As waxon69 said I do switch up but never thought it was cause it was a technique just did it to catch a fish lol dam I am good with out even knowing it
lol thank for the info and that I was doing something right

5The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:As waxon69 said I do switch up but never thought it was cause it was a technique just did it to catch a fish lol dam I am good with out even knowing it
lol thank for the info and that I was doing something right

Cool...I moved up two numbers. From "67" to "69" eeeeeyeaahhh!

6The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:57 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Sorry youngest lol

7The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:01 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I thought ed4000x was talking about a new member waxon69 dude afro

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

8The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:07 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I thought ed4000x was talking about a new member waxon69 dude afro

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

I hope Ed4000x is as nice as Ed5000x!

9The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Very very very interesting. This is something ive never really done before...but will keep an extra rod rigged up from now on just in case. There have been many times where my buddy will cast or pitch to a specific spot for nothing...ill immediately throw something in the same spot and get bit. Perhaps this is somewhat similar to what you wrote.

Also I agree....Gary INVENTED the senko....no need for me to try something else when I know his is already proven!

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

10The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:07 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Awesome post Thumbs Up I read a lil somethin like this couple months ago bout bill semintell using his baby spro for jus that. I need to work on that abit more I get blow ups all the time n see the bass sittin there for a couple sec.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

11The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:35 am

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I dont know, I always thought that if a bass gets a lure yank out of its mouth with a streinght grater than its own, he would freak out like is not normal what just happened and take cover being cautious... Big bass didnt get big by being stupid right? pirat

12The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Good thoughts, I have to remember that, and I believe in the Yamamoto Senko.

13The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Aquaholic,
That's what I thought for a long time, until that days observation and repeated observations there after. I agree with you to a point that big fish don't get big by being stupid. Fish are neither smart or stupid. They operate on a simple stimulus to reaction feedback loop. WE are the ones who attribute sentient thought values to their behavior. We are the ones who judge smart or stupid. That being said,..

Big fish don't get big by being stupid,... they get big by being stupid FEWER TIMES!!

Fortunately for all of us, Big fish can be made to react stupidly!! HEE HEE!!

bodfish

PS back to the original question, What is your Back Up Bait?
my favorite backup baits are deadfall baits, like the Senko, 10" worm or the Clarke spoon. Baits with their own action at rest, (falling),..Usually matching at least the color and primary shape of the reaction bait being used. ( something I refined as I learned more about this technique well after the 10" worm incident). The basic application is if you get a bite, that is obviously the fish missing it, (and you subsequently missing as well!) Grab your Back Up and cast it as close to the impact zone as you can, and dead stick it! if he is still fired up enough he will bite. Key here is realizing that the longer the fish has no new or interesting stimulus the sooner self preservation will set in and he will wander away or refuse new stimulus. So learn to react with the Backup QUICKLY! All fish, (at least all the ones I have made victims of this technique) are susceptible to the Back Up Bait. It just depends on how fired up he is! Stripers because of how incredibly aggressive (stupid?) they can be made, are prime victims for this.

14The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Good argument for multiple rods.

15The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
whats a senko?

16The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:whats a senko?

It's a watch you can buy at the swap meet for 10 bucks.

Ok not really...it's when your tube pops ...

Gary Yamamoto's fabulous creation...a stick bait. Resembles a fat worm of various lengths. Has great action and a nice fall through the water. Can be used for various techniques. Famously for the "wacky" style of rigging. Salt impregnated plastic. Use for fresh and salt applications.

I know you have seen these before.

17The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[quote="waxon67"]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:whats a senko?

It's a watch you can buy at the swap meet for 10 bucks.

Ok not really...it's when your tube pops ...
lol! senko de mayo!

18The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:01 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
A senko is a great bait I Caught a bass the first time I used it. It semms like a hundred years ago. It is a pen shaped piece of plastic that is heavyly Salt impregnated.They come in various sizes and colors. They can be fished in differnet ways but I like fly lined texas style or wacky riged. I also have a modified version I make see the techniques tab on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
GOOD LUCK

http://bassinthehood.com

19The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
i didnt see a pic of a senko. you have one?

20The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:17 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I'll give you some Eddie.

21The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I'll give you some Eddie.
cool thanx men!

22The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:25 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I'll give you some Eddie.
cool thanx men!

No worries bro!

23The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
This is a watermelon Senko Swimbait that has been very productive for me the past two weeks at Lake Perris, bumping it off the bottom.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They are impregnated with salt and are heavy enough to cast w/o any weight. I saw a lot of guys throwing Senkos wacky rigged. Great lure to follow up on.

24The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:A senko is a great bait I Caught a bass the first time I used it. It semms like a hundred years ago. It is a pen shaped piece of plastic that is heavyly Salt impregnated.They come in various sizes and colors. They can be fished in differnet ways but I like fly lined texas style or wacky riged. I also have a modified version I make see the techniques tab on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
GOOD LUCK

I remember you showing those to me up at SFD last year. Those are so cool...I've made some of my own.

25The follow up Empty Re: The follow up on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:58 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Kelster, What's that yellow and green plastic next to hook? Scent?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum