FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

The follow up

+11
n2deepfsw
CPT Kirk
Kelster
Aquaholic38
Tubinferbass
MASSfisher
jeffcpr
ed5000x
SmokeyBear
waxon67
bodfish
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

A trout worm for size reference.

27The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:13 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Got it. Thanks

28The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:38 pm

n2deepfsw wrote:I'll give you some Eddie.

what ? you have them and giving them away. you know you better kick some my way Thumbs Up

29The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hook a brother up, they are not cheap and only good for two fish. Wink

30The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'll make it rain.... Lol

31The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 pm

keep the rain just give me the baits please

32The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dont wanna get off topic here but since we are talking about senkos....my first senko fish (and only so far lol) caught last week:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Before people say anything about the fish being covered in dirt....this was my biggest bass ever (sad i know) and i didnt want it to get away. Back in the water in less that 40 seconds...next time i wont get too excited.

And now for a senko fact: Gary Yomamoto got the idea from.....

A ball point pen! Thats a fact....look it up if you dont believe me.

And now back to the topic....sorry for hijacking this bounce

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

33The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:26 pm

MASSfisher wrote:Dont wanna get off topic here but since we are talking about senkos....my first senko fish (and only so far lol) caught last week:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Before people say anything about the fish being covered in dirt....this was my biggest bass ever (sad i know) and i didnt want it to get away. Back in the water in less that 40 seconds...next time i wont get too excited.

And now for a senko fact: Gary Yomamoto got the idea from.....

A ball point pen! Thats a fact....look it up if you dont believe me.

And now back to the topic....sorry for hijacking this bounce

nice fish buddy.
Dont feel bad, I have only 1 LMB in my books on one as well that was at the gathering.

34The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:33 am

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Great looking fish. It is funny how one of those can scatter your brain and just make the rest of the week. What lake and what color Senko?

35The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:30 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Yes Gary go the idea for the senko from a pen but what he does better than anyone is the amount of salt he puts in his lures. It's what makes them sink at the rate that they do and consequently wiggle as they fall. There is only ONE SENKO!!!

bodfish

36The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:13 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

nice one mass

37The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:36 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Fisher wrote:nice one mass

X2........ I think the senko works so good cuz theres so much salt in those baits. I jus started throwin em but deff gunna use as a follow up bait.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

38The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey Tubinferbass
quite right, the combination of the length, width, plastic formula, (softness) and salt content, (ballast), make Gary's Senko still the best on the market. They are fragile though, and because of that don't last long, so you end up buying LOT'S of them. Good marketing strategy!! HEE HEE!!!

bodfish

39The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:48 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
hey Tubinferbass
quite right, the combination of the length, width, plastic formula, (softness) and salt content, (ballast), make Gary's Senko still the best on the market. They are fragile though, and because of that don't last long, so you end up buying LOT'S of them. Good marketing strategy!! HEE HEE!!!

bodfish

Lol yeah I come to find out that riggin wacky youl loose em every time. I lost 3 5" senkos on one fish Smile wacky rigging. As soon as I texas riged em I landed 4 fish on one worm. Im stuck on texas riged senkos now work o so good.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

40The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Tubinferbass wrote:
bodfish wrote:
hey Tubinferbass

bodfish

Lol yeah I come to find out that riggin wacky youl loose em every time. I lost 3 5" senkos on one fish Smile wacky rigging. As soon as I texas riged em I landed 4 fish on one worm. Im stuck on texas riged senkos now work o so good.

Ever put just a small spot of crazy glue on the hook to hold the worm? I do this in the bays and I wonder if it would help keep your worm on for awhile? Just a thought...I really don't know.

41The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey waxon,
yes I have used some of the cyanoacrylic glues that are available for plastisol but boy do they stink! so I rarely use them unless I have the time to let them dry and outgas completely, usually a god hour.

bodfish

42The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:00 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
Hey Aquaholic,
That's what I thought for a long time, until that days observation and repeated observations there after. I agree with you to a point that big fish don't get big by being stupid. Fish are neither smart or stupid. They operate on a simple stimulus to reaction feedback loop. WE are the ones who attribute sentient thought values to their behavior. We are the ones who judge smart or stupid. That being said,..

Big fish don't get big by being stupid,... they get big by being stupid FEWER TIMES!!

Fortunately for all of us, Big fish can be made to react stupidly!! HEE HEE!!

bodfish

PS back to the original question, What is your Back Up Bait?
my favorite backup baits are deadfall baits, like the Senko, 10" worm or the Clarke spoon. Baits with their own action at rest, (falling),..Usually matching at least the color and primary shape of the reaction bait being used. ( something I refined as I learned more about this technique well after the 10" worm incident). The basic application is if you get a bite, that is obviously the fish missing it, (and you subsequently missing as well!) Grab your Back Up and cast it as close to the impact zone as you can, and dead stick it! if he is still fired up enough he will bite. Key here is realizing that the longer the fish has no new or interesting stimulus the sooner self preservation will set in and he will wander away or refuse new stimulus. So learn to react with the Backup QUICKLY! All fish, (at least all the ones I have made victims of this technique) are susceptible to the Back Up Bait. It just depends on how fired up he is! Stripers because of how incredibly aggressive (stupid?) they can be made, are prime victims for this.

good read.. but am I missing something obvious here? Embarassed

Why a back up bait on spare rod? Why not just cast the same missed bait to the same spot?
Seems like that'd be the fastest way to capitalize on this situation?

43The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Docrunner wrote:
bodfish wrote:
Hey Aquaholic,
That's what I thought for a long time, until that days observation and repeated observations there after. I agree with you to a point that big fish don't get big by being stupid. Fish are neither smart or stupid. They operate on a simple stimulus to reaction feedback loop. WE are the ones who attribute sentient thought values to their behavior. We are the ones who judge smart or stupid. That being said,..

Big fish don't get big by being stupid,... they get big by being stupid FEWER TIMES!!

Fortunately for all of us, Big fish can be made to react stupidly!! HEE HEE!!

bodfish

PS back to the original question, What is your Back Up Bait?
my favorite backup baits are deadfall baits, like the Senko, 10" worm or the Clarke spoon. Baits with their own action at rest, (falling),..Usually matching at least the color and primary shape of the reaction bait being used. ( something I refined as I learned more about this technique well after the 10" worm incident). The basic application is if you get a bite, that is obviously the fish missing it, (and you subsequently missing as well!) Grab your Back Up and cast it as close to the impact zone as you can, and dead stick it! if he is still fired up enough he will bite. Key here is realizing that the longer the fish has no new or interesting stimulus the sooner self preservation will set in and he will wander away or refuse new stimulus. So learn to react with the Backup QUICKLY! All fish, (at least all the ones I have made victims of this technique) are susceptible to the Back Up Bait. It just depends on how fired up he is! Stripers because of how incredibly aggressive (stupid?) they can be made, are prime victims for this.

good read.. but am I missing something obvious here? Embarassed

Why a back up bait on spare rod? Why not just cast the same missed bait to the same spot?
Seems like that'd be the fastest way to capitalize on this situation?

Good question.

44The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:53 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wouldn't that same bass that missed the bait the first time bite the same bait again or would they then only bite a different bait? I've only caught 1 LMB in my life so not sure if they would react just once to a bait and then need something different to entice them to bite again? I plan on doing more bass fishing this year and want to be ready for all situations.

45The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thursday at Perris I had to throw something three times to finally get the hook set, the 1st bait, then my back up, and the original bait. Might have been because the bass was only about 13" and the original bait was 6" but that little sucker tried to swallow it whole and put up a damn good fight.
The follow up bait is good to have because how fast you can get something back into the strike zone, then reel in the original.

46The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Wow! nice! I didn't realize how well this post would go. Just goes to show you the level of quality members we have here! Thinkers!

Ok, here are a few reasons, Why, when, and how a good backup bait can be more valuable than just a quick backup cast.

The backup bait, I think, is most valuable when you have stimulated a reaction bite from an aggressive fish using a cranking (speed or "tight line") bait. Cranking baits are baits that are cranked (pulled, wound) to impart their swimming action and thus their attraction, as opposed to such baits as plastic worms, LMB style jigs, creature baits, and especially Senkos. These are fall, stall, "do nothing", baits. they are fished with slack line.

SO,...
The idea is when you have drawn the attention of an aggressive fish (and by the way it is usually not just one!) using a moving reaction bait, such that he is willing to pursue (follow), or even strike, and miss,... You have a fish interested and for a few valuable seconds, willing to forego his normal self preservation instinct. That is when you drop the primary bait rig, (literally!) grab your Backup Bait and quickly pitch it in his sight line. The Senko is superb for this because of it's "falling" action and it's tendancy to travel sideways and not forward when jerked, so it stays in the strike zone longer.

Short explanation,...
Get their attention, piss somebody off, make them hungry, or angry, with a cranking, (tight line) reaction bait , and when they miss or you see a follow, pitch a nice wiggly, smelly, soft, "something else" right in their sight line, and just see what happens.

bodfish

Here is a short story,
Lake Casitas, back in the heavy cover, crashing crank baits through the wood, After the third or fourth missed bite and deep boil, I picked up a 5" Senko and stood next to my partner on the bow and waited for his next miss. When it eventually occurred I pitched my Senko on the boil and was bit immediately. We fished this process for the rest of the day and put 20 in the boat. NONE ON THE PRIMARY BAIT! ALL ON THE BACKUP!!!

47The follow up - Page 2 Empty Re: The follow up Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good stuff bodfish.. Thumbs Up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum