» Dave Scadden Rampage Pontoon Boat to sell
by SP Dan Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:24 am

» Spotties at Huntington Harbor 8.18.19
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 pm

» LAH Wed After Work 8-21-2019
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 pm

» Anouncement for the 2nd Annual HUB Tournament in Oct
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 pm

» How many Women Float Tubers do we have here?
by jeffcpr Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:08 pm

» FS: SevenBass Design Element Float Tube Package Deal!
by jeffcpr Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Barbless artificials?

Barbless artificials?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Barbless artificials? Empty Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:12 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Just wonderin' what your thoughts are about barbless hooks? I have been thinking that barbless hooks and artificials only, may be a good way for fisherman to help our own conservation efforts.

Here's my thought,...

WHAT IF,... THERE WAS ONLY BARBLESS ARTIFICIAL FISHING IN CALIFORNIA, FOR ALL SPECIES, FRESH AND SALT?

OK,... before you get your panties in a bunch, just take a minute and think about it, before you pound out your response, .......................................................................................OK,.. now, go ahead.

bodfish

PS I think this is a great idea and I will tell you why in following posts. for now think about it and lets' see what we can all have to say about it.

PSS I am trying this post out here because I really appreciate and respect the opinions of you guys, as well as the civility you all have displayed daily. I am very serious about this, and think it could be a major vehicle for us saving/ protecting, our sport from those who seek to eradicate us. I think it is practically and politically astute. Please try and keep this as rational and objective a discussion as you can.

thnx

2Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:22 pm

I think its a good idea to a point.
1. fishing streams and river for trout, steel head etc good.
2. ocean - no.
3. Now a days most guys are fishing circle hooks out on the ocean and 99% the hook is always in the corner of there mouths but I did have 2 white seabass inhell my baits and get gut hook, that sucked.

3Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:26 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Yes, I am considering making this move myself. I know guys that do it and I have respect for their fishing skills as it makes it interesting sometimes.

4Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:54 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Good idea I use artificials 90% of the time and only use live bait when I plan on keeping a few fish to eat.

http://bassinthehood.com

5Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:57 pm

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I have also been contemplating that idea for some time now. A few of my lures already have crimped barbs

6Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I always fish with barbless hooks, except on my spinner baits, only because I also use them for fresh water too. But if there was a law implemented requiring only barbless hooks, I'd have no objections to it. Although LMB's do like to jump, and it would be easy for them to come unbottoned..lol

7Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I am very serious about this, and think it could be a major vehicle for us saving/ protecting, our sport from those who seek to eradicate us. I think it is practically and politically astute. Please try and keep this as rational and objective a discussion as you can.

thnx

in concept, I think it's a great idea. I guess sometimes personally, since I'm still pretty new to fishing, I feel like I'm already disadvantaged. So now more disadvantage using only artificials? and now more disadvantaged using barbless? But.. I understand the reasoning, and agree with it. Even if/when I catch a legal, I always release it, because I really just don't like killing or hurting fish.. period. So from that stance, I support barbless hooks. Thumbs Up

What I disagree with in your post is the part I bolded above.

I think those idiots seeking to eradicate all fishing and hunting, will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER give a rat's ass smidgen of consideration to the fact that we catch-and-release, or that we use barbless hooks, or that we strictly abide by size limits, or that we clean up other people's trash when we fish. Seriously, do you think they are just going to wake up one day, and objectively and fairly look at us and say "wow, those fishermen are really trying to be thoughtful and conservation-minded about their sport! maybe I should rethink my radical ignorant close-minded opposition to any and all animal and plant hurtful activity" (yes, even plants have feelings too!)

8Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:11 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Jay, imho, going barbless isn't a disadvantage, as long as you keep good pressure on the fish, chances of losing it is pretty slim. The only time you'll lose one, and we all have, is if the fish wasn't hooked real well to begin with.

As for artificial lures, I haven't used live bait for either fresh, or salt since the early 1970's and so far in all those years, I've not regretted sticking to them.

9Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 pm

I think some of you guys are only thinking of your type of fishing in this.

The topic of this is the whole sate, fresh or salt.

I dont know about you guys but for me, if I heading out the tuna grounds there is no way Im fishing barbless. No way I'm going to stand there throwing irons and swimbaits all day when other guys are catching.
Going to the Island, to fish yellows or white seabass, bring on the live squid and irons but again, no way Im going to fish barbless.
I like that extra 5% ins that the barb gives.

I say rethink what he is asking and think about the whole state of Calif and every type of fishing that goes on.

Unless your a type of fishing is fly fishing in streams where its only artificials and barbless then I guess this wouldnt effect you.

10Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Jay I agree with you. The tree huggers are not going to wake up one day and say hey look, good job guys. thank you for trying. no way, they will just try and take more away cause of the other 100 people they seen fishing was throwing down trash, keeping under size etc.

its sad but 1 good person out of 100 bad ones will not make a difference.

11Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:28 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
miller wrote:I think some of you guys are only thinking of your type of fishing in this.

The topic of this is the whole sate, fresh or salt.

I dont know about you guys but for me, if I heading out the tuna grounds there is no way Im fishing barbless. No way I'm going to stand there throwing irons and swimbaits all day when other guys are catching.
Going to the Island, to fish yellows or white seabass, bring on the live squid and irons but again, no way Im going to fish barbless.
I like that extra 5% ins that the barb gives.

I say rethink what he is asking and think about the whole state of Calif and every type of fishing that goes on.

Unless your a type of fishing is fly fishing in streams where its only artificials and barbless then I guess this wouldnt effect you.

I agree Miller...

12Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Lok Dog

Lok Dog
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
whats a barbless hook? Twisted Evil

https://www.facebook.com/lokey.rincon

13Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
miller wrote:its sad but 1 good person out of 100 bad ones will not make a difference.
.. except to that fish! who appreciates you using barbless hooks! cheers

my point was not that one had anything to do with the other.. I'll (maybe) use barbless hooks because it is kinder to the FISH and fish population .. not to try and convince some lame-o tree hugger to see my point of view.

14Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:48 pm

@Docrunner wrote:
miller wrote:its sad but 1 good person out of 100 bad ones will not make a difference.
.. except to that fish! who appreciates you using barbless hooks! cheers

my point was not that one had anything to do with the other.. I'll (maybe) use barbless hooks because it is kinder to the FISH and fish population .. not to try and convince some lame-o tree hugger to see my point of view.

using barbless is not going to make a difference to the fish. bass are very hardy fish, they are not like trout

15Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:28 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Sorry, I had to work late so missed yesterdays responses. Good stuff. I kinda get the jist of your opinions, So let me give you a few of my ideas regarding barbless artificials.

I have been fishing barbless for fly fishing for quite a few years, and like most folks I only started because I had to,.. so I could fish the late season on Crowley. I was pleasantly surprised to find the my hook to capture rate really did not go down. I think that the longer, softer, parabolic rods lend themselves nicely to barbless hook use.
However my bite to hook rate did. I became much more aware of my presentation and became more aware of when and how to set the hook. In short I think it improved my mechanics. Not a difficult transition.

But!,... When I tried to carry the technique over to LMB fishing things got a bit more complicated.

First of all, because of the heavy use of Treble hooks by LMB bait producers, the first conundrum I encountered was that barbless trebles have very poor holding power. they tend to lever against themselves literally forcing the hook loose. I tried single hooks and got better capture rates but my hook rate went down. I then experimented with modifying the treble hooks themselves and found that it did not take much to make the barbless treble a very effective hook. Just a little bending.
As far as soft plastic rigging hooks, I personally think many of them don't need barbs! Most of the new hooks stick well, and the barb is just unnecessary insurance. I have not had noticeable problems in this regard.

Again, I did change my mechanics, being well aware that the best way to not lose fish was to be conscious of my slack line control while fighting.

Now, as far as ocean fishing, I think the typical bait hook is just a poor hook to try and make barbless, it has too short a shank and too wide a gap. I think the circle hook is a great hook for barbless use and quite frankly, much like the rigging hooks in LMB fishing, almost doesn't need a barb.

In short, the move to barbless hooks is less difficult than many think. There is no doubt that you will change your approach and mechanics, but I think it is a good thing. I think it improves your technique and the more skilled and confident you become, it just stops being an issue.

Now,... I understand that there are many who would not be impressed or persuaded no matter what we as fishermen do to govern ourselves. Fortunately those who feel that way are not the majority, they are the radical few, and I have stopped trying to convince them. My effort is to impress ourselves and in particular the younger and newer fisherman. I feel very strongly that this is a good thing and can only help the fishery. I am definitely going to use it throughout my fishing efforts, (not just my fly fishing).

that's just me,....

bodfish

16Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:39 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Nice. I agree.

How do u most easily make hooks barbless? Crimp down? File or sand it off? Thx

17Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:25 am

you know I really dont understand this post at all or pretty much everyoness replies.

Bodfish, you ask a question "WHAT IF,... THERE WAS ONLY BARBLESS ARTIFICIAL FISHING IN CALIFORNIA, FOR ALL SPECIES, FRESH AND SALT?"

you posted a reply on your own personal type of fishing just like everyone else. your question that was asked had to do the with the whole state for anytype of fishing fresh or salt.
Clearly you did not even think this through your self when asking this question.

I dont care if you have been fishing for 30-40 years blah blah crap.

How would you feel if the state of Cali was Artificials/barbless only.
This Same question is for everyone. Remember this is everyone that fishes in the state. Salt or fresh.

Im sorry but for everyone that agreed with you (bodfish) you guys are single minded. If this idea went into effect, you know how meny people would be out of jobs. All the landings would shut down, tackle stores, MFGs.... All this to just make some poor tree hugger happy because the fish have feelings.

If you care so much about the fish having feeling, you dont belong on this forum or fishing period.

I challenge anyone on this, head to the islands or tuna grounds this years with just your barbless artificials and report back to me, infact tell the captain of the boat your idea on this as well lol!
let me know you if you had to swim back or not.

Bodfish, you seem to have alot info on things and thats cool and all but sometimes you ask question and you dont even anwser them your self. Dont take this the wrong way but how some fishing reports or some old school pictures of your catch from back in the day

Oh and I have been for fishing like 30 years myself and Im only 34 and with in my time I have seen alot changes myself

18Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:26 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Doc, I've always crimped them down with a pair of pliers. I do believe using a file would be a better idea though because it would get rid of all that extra material which could still harm the fish.

I agree with Miller on a lot of this. It all depends what I'm fishing for and the species you are targeting. If it was made into a law I wouldn't be against is. If everybody had to follow the same rules it would be known within the fishing community that a guy who consistently catches fish using barbless hooks is DAMN good at what he does.

For circle hooks I don't see a huge need for the barb. If I were fishing for large tuna or something like that I would personally use a barb. It would be awful to fight a fish for hours only to lose it because of a barbless hook. Plus, if I were fishing for tuna I would most likely keep the fish to eat (after a long fight the chances of the fish surviving are severely lowered...even when properly revived, which is very hard to do with fish like tuna).

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

19Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:37 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
By the way I posted my response at the same time as Miller so don't think I read his last post and was trying to jump on his side.

That being said...it all depends...

I think there are better methods to ensure a healthy fish population...but using barbless hooks CAN ensure the survival of some fish (taking into consideration other factors of course). If somebody wants to use barbless hooks I respect their decision.

Here's another thing to think about: How many guys do you see catch a fish and just toss it back into the water? Yea for fish like spotties I may do this but Ive seen guys fight much bigger fish for over 30 minutes without even reviving it before release. All I'm saying is that barbless hooks can be a good thing for the fish (certainly not a bad thing) but for the time I will focus on helping the fish population by doing other things:

Reviving the fish if needed, not handling the fish like an idiot, NOT littering our oceans and actually picking up at least some trash I see, releasing 99% of the fish I catch, sharing my knowledge on fishing and the importance of not being ignorant to those who want to listen.

20Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:47 am

Thank you Massfisher for actually reading and understanding the question at hand.

OH by the way, next time you go bat ray fishing, you can only use barbless artificials, let me know how this works out for you lol!

21Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I caught a bat ray at NPH with a barbless big hammer..granted it was only about 30". Very Happy

22Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I don't know enough to know what matters regardless..

If it's easy enough to do, doesn't cost me anything in terms of money, and probably won't cause me to lose too many bites, I'd be willing to give barbless a try on occasion. But, if I was in anything like a tourney or someone was keeping track, I'd probably just use the barbs cuz I need all the help I can get!! On another forum, they have an equally passionate discussion about removing the middle treble hook on luckycraft lures. That makes sense, and that middle treble can be trouble.. not only for the fish, but also for the angler trying to remove the lure from the flopping fish that swallowed the tail hook and has the middle hook in it's lip. There's some real damage (to the fish and the fingers)!! affraid

But... to be honest... all my luckycrafts have all three treble hooks in place.. and barbed. Sorry.

23Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Nice. I agree.

How do u most easily make hooks barbless? Crimp down? File or sand it off? Thx

Just take a pair of needle nose pliers, and squeeze down on the barb, it should break right off.. Wink

24Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:12 pm

wirelessbass

wirelessbass
New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
i don't think it should be a law to use barbless artificails, agreeing with what miller and massfisher, if you care so much about fish's feelings why are u fishing?

25Barbless artificials? Empty Re: Barbless artificials? on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:04 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Don't get me wrong though...im not a hippie and dont "care about the feelings of the fish" but in a way I do. Its mote of a respect thing....i like admiring every fish i catch before throwing it back. I try to handle each fish as little as possible. I revive each fish I catch if needed. I treat my fish with respect.

Think about how bad it would be if everybody who catches a fish....what if every time they caught a fish they whipped it back into the water...no revival....no caring if the fish hit some rocks on the way down...no caring if they took the natural slime off the fish.

Show respect to the fish and the environment is my philosophy....but in the end it is JUST a fish.

Dont know how clear this was lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum