FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Today at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Today at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Today at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barbless artificials?

+8
Lok Dog
n2deepfsw
Docrunner
Hammer 4
.:LOLLY:.
CPT Kirk
waxon67
bodfish
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 1:19 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Jeez Miller I am sorry you didn't get the question. I did word it a bit awkwardly. I guess what I am asking is how you feel about the possibility. And believe me I have thought about this very long and hard and I support the idea.

I think it is the next natural step in any sport to want to reach a higher level of skill, to challenge yourself. Like the light line world record pursuers or the fly caught records (a few of which are presently being pursued barbless!). This idea works for a few other points as well. I think it is also a natural progression toward a Healthier catch and release policy. And it is politically and socially astute from an environmental standpoint.

I must disagree with you about who is being single minded....

And yes I admit that I mention my 30-40 (47 to be exact) years of Blah Blah CRAP, but I am Old, and that's what you do when you get Old, you'll see.
And by the way some of that Blah Blah CRAP is worth listening to and learning, sonny,... Thumbs Up

Finally, you've challenged me before about pix and reports and I have to tell you that you will just have to take me at my word, (as I must, take yours) I am from an old school. We didn't have cameras in our pockets wherever we went, and I still don't use the one I have now. I don't need to prove anything to anyone. You will just have to fish with me and see for yourself. I guarantee I can show you a few things.

bodfish tongue

Twisted Evil

27Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 1:42 am

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

bodfish wrote:
I think it is the next natural step in any sport to want to reach a higher level of skill, to challenge yourself. Like the light line world record pursuers or the fly caught records (a few of which are presently being pursued barbless!). This idea works for a few other points as well. I think it is also a natural progression toward a Healthier catch and release policy. And it is politically and socially astute from an environmental standpoint.

not sure I agree.. we don't see sports intentionally doing things to make stuff HARDER, do we? Are they making golf balls or baseballs smaller? Football fields longer? Free throw lines farther? And, like the overzealous, understudied, over-protection of seal lions, I doubt there is much scientific evidence to support the assumption that barbless is a healthier catch and release policy? And politically? I'm less likely to support it, if it's shoved down my throat or up my ass (along with the microscope that big government insists on sticking up there)

28Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 7:06 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

miller wrote:Im sorry but for everyone that agreed with you (bodfish) you guys are single minded. If this idea went into effect, you know how meny people would be out of jobs. All the landings would shut down, tackle stores, MFGs.... All this to just make some poor tree hugger happy because the fish have feelings.

I challenge anyone on this, head to the islands or tuna grounds this years with just your barbless artificials and report back to me.....

Miller for your information many many states in this great country have laws in place that only allow BARBLESS hooks to be used while fishing...and guess what, they all still have tackle stores and the hook manufacturers still make their money.

By the way two years ago on a store sponsored trip we all fished barbless hooks provied to us by OWNER hook, and guess what we all caught fish....20+lbs yellows 50 lb yellowfin Durado all on barbless!

If you know how to fight a fish correctly you should not have to rely on the barb of the hook to keep the fish on!

Look them up on the net guys...barbless hook are all over the place and in some cases cheaper than barbed hooks. If you don't want to buy barbless hooks you can always use a pair of pliers and bend the barbs down.

29Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 7:44 am

Ok guys once again either I clearly missing something here or you guys are.

Sonar that's great but question, did you catch those fish on live/fresh dead bait or artificals? The question is what if the state was barbless artificals only. That's means no live/fresh bait.

Anyways, I'm over this subject and I'm going fishing. Bodfish anytime your down this way to go fishing let me know, I would love to go

30Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 7:50 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

miller wrote:Sonar that's great but question, did you catch those fish on live/fresh dead bait or artificals? The question is what if the state was barbless artificals only. That's means no live/fresh bait.

We got them on both. The trolling feathers had barbed hooks but all the slide jigs were modified to be barbless. We also use barbless hooks to fish the live bait.

31Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 8:51 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow interesting debate going here. Driving a spike through a fish's lip and how to do it with as little harm and safety to the fish is an interesting concept. In the end the fish weather landed or not has a hole in it's lip ... no? Having had a hook in my hand I can sympathize with a fish stuck on a barbed hook! Lol!

My official position on this is the act of fishing with a hook is cruel in the minds of those questioning the sport. I really believe it naive to assume that catering to the demand for barbless hooks will appease them whatsoever. Particularly in the Golden state of crazy land. I can fully see how in other states far more RED, can have a successful barbless hook program in place. I think the concept and appreciation for the sport aspect is prevalent. But not here in the land of milk and money. We live in a multi generational society of ignorance and emotion. Decisions are based on "how it feels" as opposed to weather or not it makes "sense" or is truly prudent. So it seems this translates directly to our beloved sport.

The truly unfortunate reality of this is the elitist agenda and how they utilize the ignorance of the masses in their campaigns. Their supporters will never consider the possibility of miss leadership because...well simply put..."doesn't feel good" to believe something like that. Advantage - liberal agenda.

My BIGGER CONCERN is what we are going to do when they take all the lead away from us? I think this is the bigger issue and the one that will hit you and me the hardest and the fastest!

32Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Take Lake Barrett in San Diego. It is a BARBLESS HOOK ONLY lake and is the best bass lake in California. San Diego county made Barrett a barbless lake to preseve the fish.

Think about it like this....

A bass feeds by creating a vaccum drawing in water and food as it inhales. If you tear a large hole in the mouth of a bass it will not be able to create the same vaccum when it tries to feed leading to possible non feeding and death.

The use of barbless hooks helps both the angler and fish. The angler in making it easier to remove the hook once the fish is landed and the fish fish by helping minimize the damage to its jaw.

If you think I am full of it then try it at home...get out your vaccum and tear a hole in the hose and see how much suction you lose. Thumbs Up

33Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 9:29 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:Take Lake Barrett in San Diego. It is a BARBLESS HOOK ONLY lake and is the best bass lake in California. San Diego county made Barrett a barbless lake to preseve the fish.

Think about it like this....

A bass feeds by creating a vaccum drawing in water and food as it inhales. If you tear a large hole in the mouth of a bass it will not be able to create the same vaccum when it tries to feed leading to possible non feeding and death.

The use of barbless hooks helps both the angler and fish. The angler in making it easier to remove the hook once the fish is landed and the fish fish by helping minimize the damage to its jaw.

If you think I am full of it then try it at home...get out your vaccum and tear a hole in the hose and see how much suction you lose. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Naw I don't think your full of it at all. Makes total sense to me. But I think the debate here so far has some parallel points involved. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong here.

I could simplify my points this way:

Barbless is good for fish and fishermen.

Barbless will not preserve our diminishing fishing opportunities.

34Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 9:55 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Your right wax...no right or wrong. Fish the hooks however you please but if you ever fish somewhere that requires barbless please do so.

I know at Barrett if you get caught fishing with a barbed hook if is a hefty fine and possible expulsion from the lake.

35Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:Your right wax...no right or wrong. Fish the hooks however you please but if you ever fish somewhere that requires barbless please do so.

I know at Barrett if you get caught fishing with a barbed hook if is a hefty fine and possible expulsion from the lake.

So will you be mad at me if I use barbed hooks on my tuna trip in September? Lol... lol!

36Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:So will you be mad at me if I use barbed hooks on my tuna trip in September? Lol... lol!

NOPE...All I want is a nice slab of sashimi grade yellow or blue fin! Thumbs Up

37Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 10:25 am

HEADCASE881

HEADCASE881
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

In my opinion barret is such a great lake because it c/r ONLY. and i have herd there is alot of fish but due to too many they have an abundance of smaller models

38Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 10:28 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

HEADCASE881 wrote:In my opinion barret is such a great lake because it c/r ONLY. and i have herd there is alot of fish but due to too many they have an abundance of smaller models

Yes and No...you just have to know where to look. Plus Barrett is the only lake in california that has Northern strain largemouth. Northern strain don't get as big as its cousin the Florida strain but they are more aggressive! Thumbs Up

39Barbless artificials? - Page 2 Empty Re: Barbless artificials? Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
Great Stuff! as always I am always pleased at the way this board handles itself.
Sonar,.. exellent info.
Waxon,... your clarity is spooky sometimes. Love your input.
and Miller,... I agree, time to go fishin' Going to Crowley next week to christen my new (old) toon. And just for you brother I am going to try and take some pix and post a report. (If I can just figger out this dang smart phone,...Old dog, and new tricks ya know.) Hee Hee!!

bodfish

PS Hey Waxon, quite right about the lead ban issue, but I spent the better part of a year awhile back checking out some of the alternatives. It's a learning curve for sure but I found out a few interesting things you might like. Talk for another post, on another day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum