FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

DIY Fish Finder Mount for Garmin Echo 200

+2
kg562
RetsofNV
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DIY Fish Finder Mount for Garmin Echo 200 Empty DIY Fish Finder Mount for Garmin Echo 200 Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm

RetsofNV

RetsofNV
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have a two year old Garmin Echo 200 fish finder that I use on my 1999 Trout Traps Triad float tube.

Last year, I was running the unit off of a 12V ATV Battery that weighed close to 6 lbs and took up a lot of space in my left hand tube pocket. I also had the Garmin mounted via a RAM Rail Mount, to a 3/4" PVC frame that went all the way around my tube, and was just too heavy.

This year, I decided to ditch the full PVC frame in favor of two rod holders from Bass Pro which hold two fly rods, a spinning rod, net, pliers, my video camera mount, and still have room for more.

Here is the new mount I made of some basic parts that I found at my local Radio Shack & Home Depot:

Fish Finder Base and Battery Compartment:
3" ABS Plastic Toilet Flange
3" OD ABS Sewer Pipe (cut to length to fit my Radio Shack 8 AA Battery Pack)
3" ABS Pipe Cap (The Garmin 200 is mounted to the cap with SS screws)
Pressure Testing Cap for 3" Sewer Pipe
1 x Radio Shack 8 AA Battery Pack
2 x Aligator clips
1 x Plastic Tube for Nuts & Bolts (cut to fit battery pack)

Float Tube Mount and Transducer Arm:
1/2" PVC Pipe
4 x 1/2" PVC 90 degree elbows
1 x 1/2" PVC X
1 x 1/2" PVC Cap
1 x 3/4" to 1/2" PVC Reducer
1 x 3/4" PVC 90 degree elbow
1 x 3/4" PVC T
1 x 3/4" PVC Pipe
10 x Zip Ties
8 x Ball Bungies
4 x SS U-Bolts with nuts
1 x Pool Noodle

The entire set up weighs less than the 12V ATV Battery that I was using last year! It all packs down into my tube bag too. which is a huge improvement over last years rig!

Here are some photos of how I put everything together:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's the full set up resting on the trailer hitch rack on the back of my SUV. This is how I move my rig from the lake to the campsite and vice versa without having to break it down each day. Thumbs Up

Here I am fishing at Cave Lake near Ely, NV last week. I got six full days of fishing out of one set of 8 AA Batteries!!! (and they are still going strong) I brought extra, but never needed them.

And one more pic...

This is how I managed to fish four mountain lakes in six days last week while camping with my 12 year-old daughter. She had a great time paddling along with me in her boat and when she got bored, she was able to check out the baby ducks or the scenery on the other side of the lake. She was asking me each morning what lake we were going to next. Best fishing purchase that I made this year was the boat for my daughter. Very Happy

Fishing was excellent too. I caught 3 Brook Trout and 27 Rainbows for the week. Nothing too big, but two of those rainbows made some nice fish tacos on the first night.

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

very nice!

StCroixFan

StCroixFan
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Awesome post.

http://fishwithkev.blogspot.com

blues4bill

blues4bill
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

It's posts like these that keep me
addicted to this forum! Informative,
detailed,colorful and even heartwarming to see you in the outdoors with your daughter. That is
time SO well spent and she will always
remember it(and you) fondly I am sure!! I love to break out the fly rods too even when there are no trout around. Your posts has me inspired to
float some poppers and "tickle the cane" this evening and
hopefully bend one in half with a nice bass or monster gill!! Thanks Fly Brother!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

cool glad you figure out a cool design for your tube and sharing the info

franklyn562

franklyn562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

looks like half your body is in the water lols

https://www.facebook.com/franklynle

RetsofNV

RetsofNV
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

blues4bill wrote:Your posts has me inspired to
float some poppers and "tickle the cane" this evening and
hopefully bend one in half with a nice bass or monster gill!! Thanks Fly Brother!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks! I love to fish poppers for bass and pickerel/pike too. Haven't had a chance to use them lately.

I wish I lived someplace where I could go fishing for a few hours in the evening when I felt like it. Since I moved to Vegas, it's not as easy to get to the fish. Every fishing trip is a major expedition for me. When I have time to get out of the heat, I usually head up to Northern Nevada and Southern Utah.

Good luck tonight.

RetsofNV

RetsofNV
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

franklyn562 wrote:looks like half your body is in the water lols

Yeah, I'm like an ice berg. Most of me is underwater. Wink

My tube is rated for 325 lbs and I'm probably around 275 with all of my gear on. I was at about 8,000 feet elevation and that water was pretty cold. I think my tube was suffering a bit of shrinkage. Embarassed

My Trout Traps Triad is an old-school design. I've been fishing from this tube since 1999. I think I got my money's worth by now. Smile

Trout Traps went out of business years ago, but they made a good product. I like the way I can lean forward on the front of the tube when I'm stripping my streamers, fishing plastic worms or jigging. I think it helps me concentrate on what I'm doing and fish slow which usually means I catch fish.

When it's time to upgrade, I'll probably go for an Outcast Prowler or something similar.

kg562

kg562
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

RetsofNV wrote:
franklyn562 wrote:looks like half your body is in the water lols

Yeah, I'm like an ice berg. Most of me is underwater. Wink

My tube is rated for 325 lbs and I'm probably around 275 with all of my gear on. I was at about 8,000 feet elevation and that water was pretty cold. I think my tube was suffering a bit of shrinkage. Embarassed

My Trout Traps Triad is an old-school design. I've been fishing from this tube since 1999. I think I got my money's worth by now. Smile

Trout Traps went out of business years ago, but they made a good product. I like the way I can lean forward on the front of the tube when I'm stripping my streamers, fishing plastic worms or jigging. I think it helps me concentrate on what I'm doing and fish slow which usually means I catch fish.

When it's time to upgrade, I'll probably go for an Outcast Prowler or something similar.

1999? oh yeah, you definitely got your money worth it! lol! and the Outcast Prowler is an awesome tube when you get that upgrade!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum