FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?)

+6
bassfishing24/7
motorazr
.:LOLLY:.
Misfit_Angler138
Fisher
bigmouthbasshole
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Togiak question Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 am

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I am thinking about getting a different tube. I currently use a fish cat 4, and I like it but I have one issue with it. The foam seats kill my back. I had surgery on my spine a few years ago and cannot get used to the seat.

I am looking at a togiak but have a question about the seat. Any owners out there can give me a recommendation? Is the seat hard foam padding, inflatable or just loose vinyle?

Here is the tube I'm thinking of getting:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks

2Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

theres someone selling one of those on here for 100 i think

3Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 am

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The bottom of the seat is hard foam and the back is just a support, with straps no foam out anything. U would probably be better off getting a Cumberland same weight cap. I think the seat is inflatable though im not sure, where the Cumberland owners at?

4Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The Cumberland has a foam seat as well as a foam backrest...
The seat is like 4" thick and the backrest is like 2"

5Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:30 pm

motorazr

motorazr
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have a bad lower back and use a Cumberland, found I had to put some extra support in the back rest to make it stiffer. I am a fairly big bloke so I would say that for the average joe the Cumberland back rest would be ok. Perhaps some one may be able to let you try theirs out? Pretty generous mob here.

6Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 pm

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Idk if u would consider a u shape Tube like a caddis nevada or Big horn,i had a fishcat and the back support would get pretty bad.the u shaped Tube gives u more back support and i feel more comfortable.Just an idea i thought u might think about.

7Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

There's also another tube called the High Rider Tube by Xstream Outdoors

8Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:21 pm

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for your comments. I always looked at the seats as the main issue I am having. I never thought that about the design or shape of the tube. The Bighorn looks interesting!!!! There is a guy selling one in my area for pretty cheap too. I am going to look at it tommorow and if it is in good working shape Im gonna go ahead and pick it up. It couldnt hurt to have a backup around just in case.

9Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 pm

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

bigmouthbasshole wrote:Thanks for your comments. I always looked at the seats as the main issue I am having. I never thought that about the design or shape of the tube. The Bighorn looks interesting!!!! There is a guy selling one in my area for pretty cheap too. I am going to look at it tommorow and if it is in good working shape Im gonna go ahead and pick it up. It couldnt hurt to have a backup around just in case.

If you want back support, you don't want a Togiak. I have to put a flotation cushion against my back when I use the Togiak, and I'm not a big guy. And even with that, if I don't focus on my posture, I end up looking like I'm napping in a recliner.

10Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:11 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Here is an issue I recently encountered with a good friend of mine who also recently endured back surgery. He is a staunch flyfisherman and up until a few years ago, a regular float toober. A work accident, and the subsequent surgery, virtually ended his toobing days, as he could not endure the unsupported seats,typical of most (all) float toobs. He tried adding hard panels as inserts, which were an improvement but only marginally so. It is a basic design constraint of floatubes that the seat and back support are generally soft and require the user to use muscle tension to provide rigidity against which you then apply force to provide propulsion. In short YOU are the frame against which your kicking force is transferred to, to finally provide motion.

Finally he tried my pontoon with it's hard back folding seat and cushions, and hard frame, with the higher seat height and hard support in the low back area he did vastly better. Kicking is easier in pontoons and because you are faster and more maneuverable you exert less effort. (quantumly less water drag) He is presently in the market for a toon. I, myself suffer from low back pain and know the advantages of a hard backed seat as opposed to the unsupported seats in toobs and kayaks. Might I suggest that if and when we have another FTFF Seminar, you try a (my) toon and see if it is an improvement. I think you will find that it is.

bodfish

PS If you are seriously interested please PM me. Perhaps we can get together and I can show you what I am referring to.

11Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 pm

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

How Blessed Am I????

Once again thank you all for your input and especially Bodfish for your generous offer. Hopefully I can take you up on that one day.

Wouldnt you know that I found a Craigslist Add for a used Bighorn (which never happens out here in the desert). I met up with the guy today to inspect the tube. Apparently he thinks open box = used equipment. All the contents were in thier factory sealed plastic!!! This thing was sweet and complete!!! I had to jump on this baby for $80, you cant beat the deal. I am going to my spot afterwork to test it out and see if it is easier on my back. Oh yea, and my wife said now that we have two tubes, she wants to try it out and see what all the fuss is about. I am gonna have to do my best to put her on some nice LMB's and get her hooked!!!!

12Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:21 pm

jesusbm562

jesusbm562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

bigmouthbasshole wrote:How Blessed Am I????

Once again thank you all for your input and especially Bodfish for your generous offer. Hopefully I can take you up on that one day.

Wouldnt you know that I found a Craigslist Add for a used Bighorn (which never happens out here in the desert). I met up with the guy today to inspect the tube. Apparently he thinks open box = used equipment. All the contents were in thier factory sealed plastic!!! This thing was sweet and complete!!! I had to jump on this baby for $80, you cant beat the deal. I am going to my spot afterwork to test it out and see if it is easier on my back. Oh yea, and my wife said now that we have two tubes, she wants to try it out and see what all the fuss is about. I am gonna have to do my best to put her on some nice LMB's and get her hooked!!!!

wow that was SUPER DEAL
WTG!!!

13Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LOL SWEET DEAL...
UR WIFE WILL BE HOOKED

14Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:32 am

hombre_jaguar

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

wish my wife would want to try fishing the tube with me Sad
maybe if she sees yours she'll be curious to try and they can start a tubin-wife's forum lol!

15Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:29 pm

bigmouthbasshole

bigmouthbasshole
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Tubin Wives Forum!!! That's a scary thought! Then my wife might find out how much I really spend on Fishing Gear each year!
pale

16Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Empty Re: Togiak question (How Blessed Am I?) Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:22 pm

jesusbm562

jesusbm562
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

bigmouthbasshole wrote:Tubin Wives Forum!!! That's a scary thought! Then my wife might find out how much I really spend on Fishing Gear each year!
pale
Lmfao true that, i never really taught about howmuch i spend a year! Yikes!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum