Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Freshwater Fishing tips and tricks » "Stitching" for big bass

"Stitching" for big bass

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1"Stitching" for big bass Empty "Stitching" for big bass on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:04 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Just read Bill Murphy's book "In Pursuit of Giant Bass". By far the best book I've ever read on LMB...it has completely changed the way I think about big bass fishing and is a real eye opener. I recommend this book to everybody....tons and tons of info in it.

Anyways, in the book he describes a technique called "stitching". Seems like a very effective technique when you find a good "big bass spot". This technique also requires an insane amount of patience....

Just wondering if anybody is familiar with this technique. If so I'm interested in hearing some first hand opinions on it...

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

2"Stitching" for big bass Empty Re: "Stitching" for big bass on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:56 am

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I also Just recently heard of this technique but have yet to try it...
x2 On the patience thing which i dont have much of....lol

3"Stitching" for big bass Empty Re: "Stitching" for big bass on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:08 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey MASSfisher,...

Stitching, Creeping, Dragging,.....anyway you name it,... it's fishing SLOOooooow!

There is no argument that these techniques are VERY affective. They simply require a different mind set from the fisherman. Stitching is a mind-bendingly slow affair, that requires a great deal of concentration and attention, as well as dedicated effort. Here are a few thoughts which may help you.

1) Location, Location, Location... As you may well know from Bill Murphy's writings, it is best to try and utilize this technique in a "known" or high confidence area. If you are going to invest the time and effort to Stitch, you might as well start in an area that will be high percentage. So your first job is to figure out where these spots are!

2) position, and boat (toob?) control. Positioning is key for you to quietly approach and cover the spot as efficiently as you can with the least amount of disturbance. Good stable boat control will help you keep a straight (not necessarily tight) angle to your bait, and not drag your bait around as you are affected by wind, wave, and current. (Many guys used to double anchor, bow into the wind.)

3) you can't fish slow enough,.... nuff said.

4) use a lot of scent

5) don't discount anything you feel,... If you think you were bit, well you probably were. Take mental note and be prepared if it occurs again. The bites range from the full -tilt -boogie, to the lollipop-lick, you just have to learn it! Your gonna swing and miss a lot!

NOTE: here is where learning to recognize the infamous "pressure bite" can be most helpful.

Way back when, the quality of our tackle made it much harder to "feel" things below the water. Nowadays with the excellence of the sensitivity of the rods, reels and lines, things are much improved. "Fingering" your line, and/or hand stitching is a lost art, and a learned skill. You will have some frustrating moments. (hours,.. days,..)

6) PATIENCE MY SON,...

bodfish

PS This technique is not just for wormin' and jiggin'... A long kept secret at Casitas for 10lb+ fish was stitching a weedless (single hook) rigged, sinking, 12" Castaic Trout.

4"Stitching" for big bass Empty Re: "Stitching" for big bass on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I heard it works best with live crawdads. Fly line out and slowly hand peal in line till you feel the hit then swing.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

5"Stitching" for big bass Empty Re: "Stitching" for big bass on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:27 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Thanks for all the info guys. It's definitely a slow technique but when you think about it, a worm doesn't look natural the way most people fish one...including myself.

I definitely fish my worms too fast.....I usually don't think anything about it cause I still catch fish.....but not the big fish that we all want to catch. Smaller fish are less wary and more aggressive so they'll hit a fast moving worm because they don't know better. The big girls like it slow.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

6"Stitching" for big bass Empty Re: "Stitching" for big bass on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:20 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I heard it works best with live crawdads. Fly line out and slowly hand peal in line till you feel the hit then swing.

Quite right Tubin!,...

Fact is, in my opinion, live bait fishin with Dads,(and inflated nightcrawlers) is where the Stitchin technique comes from. If you go back and study up a bit on some of the live bait techniques that pre-date the Swim Bait days, I think you will find a wealth of info about Big Bass Fishing that directly correlates with some of the best contemporary strategies.

If you are really interested in catching a BIG BASS, and don't mind doing it the good old fashion way, I still think one of the best (highest percentage) ways, is to learn how to Live Crawdad fish. There are still a die hard few who do it, and although you don't see much press about them, believe me they get more than their fair share of the "Big Girls", every year.

bodfish

PS now you got me goin,... may have to put in a few calls about doin some "soakin" this spring.....Hee Hee!!!

7"Stitching" for big bass Empty Re: "Stitching" for big bass on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Komori

Komori
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I still "stitch" when I fish plastic worms or live 'dads for Largemouth Bass. Bringing the line back in with your fingers, just a little at a time, then when you have a couple of feet of line in the boat, you reel up the slack. It gets real exciting when you feel that little "tap" and then your line starts going out slowly. It could be a one pound bass or a 15 pounder! Wind down the slack, let your rod tip just start to bend, and SET THE HOOK! I actually met Bill and fished close to him several times back in the 1970s at El Cap and San Vincente.

8"Stitching" for big bass Empty Re: "Stitching" for big bass on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Yeah live dads is the bees knees. My first only bass on dads was with first cast 4# mono n size 6 mosquito hook. She was only 7.5 lbs but dad wasent even the water for a min then slam! Im deff gunna be messin around with live dads this year when I can get em. I know at perris theres a couple guys who still stitch n there average is 7-12 lb lmb.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum