Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Fishing to cover from a tube

Fishing to cover from a tube

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:40 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
What's your technique from a float tube? I do a side arm cast sort of a skip to drop into flooded wood and under docks etc. I would like to learn a better technique. I haven't tried flipping or pitching from the tube. Do tell... study

2Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 pm

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
When I was in a tube I used to flip quite a bit. Actually was my bread and butter for the waters I was fishing. It's really not too hard but you have to make sure to not smack yourself with the fish when you do a hard hookset! I've knocked the wind out of myself along with getting face slimed as well Smile

Pitching is possible as well but it sounds like you're kind of doing what I learned. I have a friend who is the most awesome pitching machine if he can get on the water enough. He does the side arm pitch and can rocket a bait to places no bait has gone and I would venture to say when he's on...there's probably only one or two "elite" pros that could match his ability. He's the maker of Little Creeper baits which I think might be sponsoring a little here??? Amazing to watch him go.

I'm not sure if this helps much but with a little practice, it's amazing what you can do from a tube (and even more from a kickboat!).

Todd

http://www.geemoto.com

3Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I think I would sa I pitch I have been tring to flip as well but I need to work on that more.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:02 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Samuraiti thanks bro. I tried a little flipping on Saturday but I just made a mess of my reel. I need a lot more practice! Capt. Kirk was talking about the shorter rods on a tube and I think that was great advice because I have been going out with my 7 footers and it is overwhelming. If I size down I suspect it will help? The side arm technique was working ok for me but I really want to be able to flip from the tube. I just haven't got my head around it yet. Thanks for the word up!

5Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:20 pm

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Don't go with a shorter rod! Remember, with flipping, the length of your rod largely determines how far you can flip so a 7'6" or even 8' rod helps you get into the cracks and crevices better! No dirty minds here...

Another advantage of a long rod is you can actually use it to "punch" through areas that would be impossible to get through with a cast or flip or pitch. You literally bring your bait to the tip of your rod, poke it through the tulles/weeds/brush/trees/etc and then drop your bait from there. You can actually swing it as well to get a little further as well. The fun part here is trying to get the fish OUT. I've hooked some quality fish this way and even helped me win a couple events in the past. Note, you'll be lucky to get 50% of those ones out but it is about as exciting as it comes!

One way that really helped me when I wasn't on the water was to sit on the ground at my house and put a few targets in the room. It looks really weird if you have others there but will make your day on the water that much more productive.

Oh, another great hint from the tubers of yesteryear was to add a foam block to the seat area of your tube. Those safety seats that are in some boats can also work well. They will all put you up a few inches and it makes a HUGE difference in your abililty to flip more effectively.

Thanks for making the brain work today! Smile

Todd

6Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
This is a good topic I am learning so much right now thanks wax and samuraiti.

7Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:34 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Wax Come Over And Showed Me The Different Way To Cast With A Bait Caster And I was Telling Him I was Probly Going To Get Rid Of It But After Reading This Topic I Will Give It Another Try
Thanks Guys For The Info

8Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:40 pm

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Really? Stay with the longer rod huh? Ok now that you explain it I understand the distance aspect of the longer rod. Funny you mention sitting on the ground to practice cuz that was exactly what came to my mind today. I got off work and was trying some flipping with a shorter rod and I could see the difference in my distance. I am going to have to meditate on the longer rod from the tube. Let me ask you this, do you palm the bait in one hand and then flip with a low dip to the water with the rod tip or do you do a pendulum approach with a short line? I hope that makes sense. The flipping I am doing now is by palming the bait and then dipping the rod tip low. Its working for me when standing but its a total fail when in the tube. I saw some instructional stuff from Vandam on flipping and he recommends that pendulum approach with out palming because you can present the bait to more areas in less time. So doing it from the tube...its seems like a challenge. Dude, thanks for the tips and keep em coming. Its my goal this spring to become proficient with the flip in and out of the tube.

9Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I have tried longer rods on a tube but it's just too long unless it's a spinning rod. Now I just always go with a 6.6' rod. I pitch just like u said Wax. I palm the bait and swing it in. Whith time u can use the pendulum from a boat but a tube I always use the swing. Ur just limited from a tube and u have to deal with the limitations in certain ways. True I can't pitch as far but I can get closer and stay in one spot easier. Also pitching under docks and over-hanging structure is also easier from a tube because u are so low.
I agree with Sam in that a small piece of foam or a wheel barrel inner tube works good to give u some highth and it makes a HUGE differance. If I use the side arm cast I stay away from the target and make a longer cast.

Good topic Wax but hard to explain in type. Guess we just have to hook up on the lake. Lol

With time u will devolp ur own tecnique.

10Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 pm

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Samuraiti thanks bro. I tried a little flipping on Saturday but I just made a mess of my reel. I need a lot more practice! Capt. Kirk was talking about the shorter rods on a tube and I think that was great advice because I have been going out with my 7 footers and it is overwhelming. If I size down I suspect it will help? The side arm technique was working ok for me but I really want to be able to flip from the tube. I just haven't got my head around it yet. Thanks for the word up!

I do prefer the shorter rods in a tube because they are easier to handle and I use a side arm cast a lot and for me the shorter rod is more accurate. With the said if your going to be doing a lot of flipping the longer rod is a deffinite advantage for better distance.

Last edited by CPT Kirk on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://bassinthehood.com

11Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 am

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
In regards to palming the bait vs the pendulum approach. When in a tube I pretty much always went with palming the bait. You can pendulum from a tube but it really is not much of a time saver there. I will often barely touch my bait many times when I’m really working quickly and figure the fish are just taking on the fall.
Now for those who are thinking about a kickboat, the pendulum approach can be more effective like in a boat. Not quite as nice being on a platform like a bass boat but with you being over a foot higher out of the water, it does make it more possible.
The interesting thing about longer vs shorter rods is while it is true shorter rods CAN be more accurate, with time, you can get nearly the same accuracy with a longer rod. You also gain the advantage of a better hookset and leverage when playing a fish. I don’t have ANY of my casting rods for bass that are shorter than 7ft.
For those with boats or access to being a backseater (like me!), the pendulum approach to flipping is awesome. Actually pitching as well as you tend to get nearly twice as many presentations to fish as people who don’t do it. Believe me, I timed it before Smile

12Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:00 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Wow So Many Things To Learn I Am Glad That Jeff Open This Site
This Topic Has Got Me Thinking All The Year I Been Fish That I Dont Really Know Alot And Maybe The Next Time We Gather We Could All Show Ed How To Cast LoL
I AlWays Casted Over Head And Now Being In A Tube And Get To Places Were The Fish Are I Am Going To Need More technique
You Guys Are Great Thank For Shareing
Ed

13Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:04 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Ed go with what you are works for you the rest will follow bro. It all takes time you will learn it all my friend just have fun.

14Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I Am Having Fun I Glad To Be A Part Of This Forum And I Will Take My Time
Thanks Jeff

15Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Ed, let's go to to a local lake sometime. You will get flipping and pitching in no time. Don't get rid of that baitcast. It is a powerful tool. Once you learn a few techniques, you will never go back. I'd be happy to share with you how I fish a baitcast.

16Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Ed once u get it down u won't ever want to use a spinning reel again unless absolutly nessisary. Stick with it. U'll get it before too long.

17Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Ed once u get it down u won't ever want to use a spinning reel again unless absolutly nessisary. Stick with it. U'll get it before too long.

Thanks I Will Practise But I Do Love Some Of My Spinning Reel Alot LOL

18Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 am

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Seriously Ed, if you get baitcasters down... Very Happy Spinning is great but there are limitations with it.

Todd

19Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Re: Fishing to cover from a tube on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Seriously Ed, if you get baitcasters down... Very Happy Spinning is great but there are limitations with it.

Todd

I am going to be practicing this weekend Very Happy
thanks todd

20Fishing to cover from a tube Empty Clarification on my advice... on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:14 am

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
I was writing that at work and was thinking of it while fishing yesterday...the pendulum is the only way I go when flipping. I have been in such a mode of pitching lately that it was my entire focus.

Pendulum is the only way to go when flipping. It is more difficult in a tube than a boat but when you get a hang of it it goes smooth and you can make a ton of presentations to the fish! Again, this is where longer rods really make a difference and you can get futher more effectively. For close quarter fishing, flipping as compared to pitching, you can get 2 to 3 times as many presentations based on my entirely unscientific study Wink

Sorry if I confused anyone!!!

Todd

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum