FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Umbrella rig
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Live scope in your glasses
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New baitcaster line

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New baitcaster line Empty New baitcaster line Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:10 pm

fever

fever
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ok guys, I need help with what line to put on the new toy. Reel is rated at 12lb and rod is 8 to 17lb. I bought some 8lb flouro but was thinking I should go to 10 or 12. Like I said its my first bait caster and im clueless. 8 10 12 flouro or mono?

2New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:06 am

Dano67

Dano67

LC has some Fluro that he likes thats very low memory. I just dont remember what it is called.

3New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 am

Hey fever, what will be your main application for your baitcast? That will determine what size line is best. I would say with the rating on your baitcast and rod, stay around 8 to 10LB line. I have been using a line called Suffix and it's been really good. If you use Fluro, I'd go with 10LB and Seaguar.

4New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:03 am

fever

fever
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

lagunaCOCONUT wrote:Hey fever, what will be your main application for your baitcast? That will determine what size line is best. I would say with the rating on your baitcast and rod, stay around 8 to 10LB line. I have been using a line called Suffix and it's been really good. If you use Fluro, I'd go with 10LB and Seaguar.
Thanks LC, I dont do bass fishing but was thinking I would set it up to tube the Pudd and the salt, throwing mostly soft plastics. Hoping for a happy medium to use it at both places.

5New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:25 am

samuraiti

samuraiti
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Can you let us know what reel it is? Line size typically doesn't matter for the reel. The line #s they put on it is just so you know how much you can spool up for that given line lb test/diameter. Also, for rod ratings, yes, keeping within the ratings is great but really just setting your drag to the proper setting will allow you to use 50 lb braid on a rod rated for 12 lb test line if you just set your drag at 3-4 lbs.

Based on your limited information, I would go with 10-12 lb line and probably a braid/fluoro combo. The sensitivity over mono with this combo would be amazing and you can change your leader sizes according to conditions.

Todd

http://www.geemoto.com

6New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 am

fever

fever
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey Samuraiti, Its the Abu Garcia silver max rated for 12lb/160yds. Its on the low end of the garcia line but got pretty good reveiws, decent starter.

7New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 am

I would go with Samuraiti. He is right on the money. That's what I use all the time now. All my reels have braid backing and I use a quality fluoro topshot. Although in the salt, I still stay with my Suffix and CXX mono. Unless they are really line shy and are on smaller baits, then I go to my 8lb fluoro outfits. With your Abu, I'd do a braid if you want then topshot.

8New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:22 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I agree with the lb test. 10-12 is a very good all around line.
However if this is ur first baitcaster, i would shy away from braid or flouro. If u get a good backlash (or as i like to call them "professional overruns" LOL)it will be pain to get it out of braid and u will ruin the flouro. That will be a lot of money down the drain and might discourage u from trying it again. Use mono till u r comfortable casting. That way it will be easy to pick them out and cheap if u can't.
I love P-line CXX mono. its strong and they make it in green.

9New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:45 am

fever

fever
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for the input guys, back to Dicks I go. Gonna pick up some 10lb flouro and some 10 mono for my practice runs. Not really comfortable with braid on this combo, once I get a feel for it I will upgrade the gear. Wish me luck Very Happy

10New baitcaster line Empty Re: New baitcaster line Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:15 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Cool, use the mono as ur main line and u can still tie on a flouro leader to give u better bait presentation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum