FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

The greatest thing you can do to improve your game.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Guys,
I want to share with you the most important advantage I have over virtually everyone I fly fish with before we even get to the water. It is the single greatest thing you can do for yourself to improve your fly fishing ten fold. I cannot stress more how this will improve your bite/catch rate and put you in a completely new high level of fly fishing.

I am an ambidextrous fly fisherman.

I have been a right handed fisherman all my life. In the Spring and Summer of 1993 I worked in Casper Wyoming on a film, and while there, decided I would commit to fly fishing. I bought a couple of grands' worth of gear and hired a guide every weekend for weeks. Halfway through the picture I injured my right shoulder and was forced to fish with my left hand. It was the best thing that has ever happened to me in my fishing career. Since then I have religiously practiced to keep both hands well conditioned. I practice alot! I am at present equally adept at a number of casts with both hands.

Now,... most experienced fly fisherman will immediately recognize my advantage, particularly in the moving waters, I can fish upstream or down, and no matter which shore. AND!,... I don't care which way the wind blows or how hard! In the toob or toon I am have such an advantage it is almost unfair...

Ok,.. I will admit I am a bit more accurate with my left, (I am naturally left handed) and a bit stronger (longer) with my right...But I have learned how to switch hands , mid cast, to take advantage of this.

so,...

If you are interested in taking your fly fishing technique to the next level and improve your fly fishing ten fold, I strongly encourage you to try casting and fishing (the two are not the same) with EITHER HAND!!...

bodfish

PS  I have been fishing a loooooong time, and I do not know  ANY other ambi fly fisherman. I am not sure why. it seems like a natural progression to help improve your game.

Watertooner

Watertooner
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Great post! I'll have to try this. I am a leftie for eating, writing, i.e. fine motor skills, but play a lot of sports with my right arm such as throwing, casting, batting, etc. Grew up in a right-handed family so dad taught me to play sports as a rightie. I switch hands while spin-casting without thinking about it very much but now I'll spend more time with my fly rod - and actually think about the advantages of doing so.

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey Watertooner,
I am much like you, left handed with right handed skills,
write left
eat left
throw right
bat right
kick right
shoot left (eyed) even though I am right eye dominant!
lead with my left
fine motor skills left
strength right

yup,.. i'm a mess!  Hee Hee!!

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey Bodfish, I think you're on to something there. I'm going to give it a try. I'm a Novice Fly Fisher but will use that advantage on my baitcaster and spinning outfits just the same. Too many times I have to come up with different ways to flick, cast, swing just to compensate for the lack of angle I have using my right hand. If I can cast with my left, it'll get me in the "pocket". Also, once i've gotten better at fly fishing then i'll attempt it with my left hand. Thanks for the post.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This is a great concept and I remember as a kid woring on this in my back yard. I think it is time to bring this practice session back I am right and should be confortable going left when I need it from the tube and tough positioning. Thanks for bring this up bodfish, it wont be pretty to watch but we have to start somewhere.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Yellowrock

Yellowrock
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:This is a great concept and I remember as a kid woring on this in my back yard.  I think it is time to bring this practice session back I am right and should be confortable going left when I need it from the tube and tough positioning.  Thanks for bring this up bodfish, it wont be pretty to watch but we have to start somewhere.  

There's gonna be a lot of birdnest fixing..haha.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

True but i have gotten very good at that  lol! 

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum