FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

float boat/tube advise

+5
Fisher
wiseguy
fatboy531
jeffcpr
ozben
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1float boat/tube advise Empty float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:53 am

ozben

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi All,

Tried to post yesterday but not sure if I did or I could be doubling up.
I'm looking at getting a float boat/tube that can be rowed. My concern is getting a puncture with submerged logs. Does anyone have a solution or a suggestion on what type of tube/boat to get.
In Australia so I can't really pop over for a look.

Cheers

Ben

2float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:59 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Welcome to the board, i would say look at the pontoon boats they are oar and kick powered. As far popping concerns it is hardly a concern. I mean anything is possible but popping while using because of running into something submerged is highly unlikely. So look at the pontoon boats that is the ride for you.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:44 am

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the boards. Gonna agree with Jeffcpr. The chances of a tear or puncture from unseen submerged structures is almost unheard of. Not saying its impossible. I run into shrubs, low hanging trees and sharp rock with crustations in the ocean. Haven't encountered any issues with punctures. The materials used are very tough and sturdy. Almost like the material they use for party jumpers. The can take a pounding. Hope you find the right vessel. Good luck. See you on the water. salute 

4float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the boards! X3 on what Jeff and Fatboy had to say.

5float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

ya jeff is right go with a toon if u want to row and ya inless theres a hook in one of those logs u wont get a hole in it

6float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:55 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome ozben!
Good to see another potential tooner. I am a rabid tooner myself. As far as your initial worry about punctures from submerged hazards, the guys are correct. As much as it is always a possibility, in the 20+ years I have been tooning and the myriad obstacles I have run into, over, and under, I have never had a problem. Most pontoons are built Uber tough! Good luck shopping about for your boat, there are so many good ones now! Remember, Budget and application! Good fun!

bodfish

PS a very good friend of mine just purchased the Outcast Fish Cat Scout. 7' frameless, u-boat design.
VERY COOL!! check it out!

7float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Ozben , Welcome to the Addiction and as others have said a Pontoon maybe right up your ally .. You are a Animal Tubing in Australia , I would be worried a Croc would take my bloody leg off

8float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Misfitdog wrote:Ozben ,  Welcome to the Addiction   and as others have said a Pontoon maybe right up your ally .. You are a Animal Tubing in Australia  , I would be worried a Croc would take my bloody leg off
Oh crap!!! Just noticed he's down under. I guess we won't see you on the water anytime soon. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!....

9float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:04 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Maybe we should take a trip you meet some other members, overseas gathering Wink 

10float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:06 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:Maybe we should take a trip you meet some other members, overseas gathering Wink 
Hey!!! It's possible. Maybe I'll hit the lotto and take all of us down there. My treat!!!!

11float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:09 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I will take you up on that Fatboy thanks for the offer I would like a first class ticket of course.

12float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:11 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:I will take you up on that Fatboy thanks for the offer I would like a first class ticket of course.
You can bet it'll be a first class flight for everyone. Thumbs Up 

13float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:09 am

ozben

FTFF Gathering Officer

fatboy531 wrote:
jeffcpr wrote:Maybe we should take a trip you meet some other members, overseas gathering Wink 
Hey!!! It's possible. Maybe I'll hit the lotto and take all of us down there. My treat!!!!
Cheaper if you get me to come up. No crocs this far south, just a few snakes to deal with but they don't eat much.
Will probably need to get something out of the States as there is next to nothing here. Can anyone suggest a website - Had a look at Cabelas already but want to shop around. A pontoon might be too big for the water I fish.

Cheers

Ben

14float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

There was another guy from your side of the world that was looking and shipping be came a big issue. He found his on ebay for a good price and very cheap.shipping. I will start looking in other spots but take a look at ebay.

15float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 pm

desertstorm28

desertstorm28
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Just gonna sound like everyone else but I ride a fish cat 4 and it has a vinyl bottom which goes over anything I've plowed right over sticks and twigs sticking out of the water and haven't ha a problem get (knock on wood) I believe their might be pontoons out there with plastic floats but I may be wrong... Whatever you get good luck have fun and be ready to become a float addict

16float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

get a kayak! rabbit 

17float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:39 pm

ozben

FTFF Gathering Officer

anyone have experience with the "Ponderay" float tube? Looks ok but wouldn't mind some feedback.

Cheers

Ben

18float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:20 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well, take takes this in consideration:

1. If you're definitely in an area where hidden structures will be a problem, definitely a kayak with stronger hull. My love my Hobie Outback. Built like a freaking brick, and the peddle provides an amble opportunity for me to fish and continuing to chase the schools.

2. If you don't have the luxury, and likes to kick, I also suggest David Scadden's Escape. I had the Sunrise, and trust me when I say, it's built like a tank over hidden structures. The Escape is class III, designed for taking on the tough environment.

3. If you plan on going less, best to armor plating it with light PVC layering. An extra layer of PVC thickness, cheap alternative to purchasing a very expensive float, is the way to go.

19float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:27 pm

ozben

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for the advise, looks like I'm going to hold off until I get a "tank" like tube. Does anyone use the Incept water strider? This is probably going to be what I end up getting.
Check them out in action on
codscountry

Cheers

Ben

20float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:24 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Looks like an interesting kick boat. Pretty hefty on the pricing. The material is nearly the same, but the Stider boat's dimension is slightly bigger. That boat is slightly below rapid class III due to material construction, but how much abuses you're willing to hammer it with is still unclear. The Escape looks like this:

Shipping and handling costs will push it to the same cost as the Strider.

Can't wait to see your new ride and mods since you're plan on going with the Strider.

21float boat/tube advise Empty Re: float boat/tube advise Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 pm

ozben

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks Leo, I've seen those and they look great. One of the thing I am mindful of is "tiger snakes". These are around the waters I fish and are quite agro. I like the strider because they can't get in. Tiger snakes will go across water to have a go but not under water and they can still get in via the open end.
You're right about the cost. I'll need to save a bit more than I wanted to spend but will post when I get it.

Cheers

Ben

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum