FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Umbrella rig
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

live minnows how to keep them while tube fishing

+8
Fisher
Tony G Fishing
.:LOLLY:.
Komori Jeff
bballnono
fatboy531
jeffcpr
tjflyfisher
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tjflyfisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

trying to get ready for the spring crappie season and im wondering
how to store live minnows while im out on my tube  
the fish are sometimes picky and on days they wont eat jigs the guys with live minnows still seem to catch them i have searched high and low for some kind of small minnow bucket that i could attach to my tube and just float it around with me but seems everything is 1-4 gallons so a tad big for what i need   also  im not opposed to building something if thats an option
so any suggestions would be great
thanks guys
tjflyfisher

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I wonder if using a large diameters PVC pipe drill holes in it for water to run through. Cap it on obe end and a screw cap on the other side. Tie it up to your tube tthen it is there when you needed. I know some guys have talked about this for the saltwater, what do you think.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I've seen a small styrofoam live well bucket kit at Walmart. Not certain how much. But I'm sure that thing can be rigged to float along side the float tube. It's battery operated.

bballnono

bballnono
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Or maybe a tupperware container that you drill holes in and attach to the d-rings on one side with a clip so it hangs in the water, and attach it with a bungee to the other d-rings on the other side. Just throwin out ideads, cause ive never tried it. One thing I know works is a boogie-board with a hole cut in it and a bucket with holes in it in the hole in the boogieboard. This might be too big tho.

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Not to be a downer, but where in SoCal can you legally use live minnows, other than shad netted at the lake you are fishing at.  I would love to use some large Mosquitofish at Lake Perris for those jumbo crappie, but I think they are illegal.  I do think that I've heard somewhere that you can use these minnows for live bait only if you have hand-netted them from the same lake that you are fishing at.  I don't really want to take the chance of getting caught doing this.  Anyone know the CDF&G ruling on this?

6live minnows how to keep them while tube fishing Empty minnows Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:49 am

tjflyfisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

thanks for the replies guys

some good ideas as always i like the boogie board idea
but would probably scale it down a bit im thinking a 1 gallon bucket in a
cut down body board would probably work well
the pvc idea gives lots of options too so ill have to think about that one
also

i didn t know minnows were not legal in so cal however i only fish the lakes up in central ca we get them from our local bait shop and they sell out fast
during the spring crappie season the fish love em lol

i was looking at a bucket yesterday called a frabill turbo troll
its a little big but has good reviews mostly im wondering if i might be able to make it work for me and its cheap too like $9
the thing is i just need something small or medium at best to store maybe
a couple dozen minnows for around two-3 hrs toting a 5 gallon bucket around the lake with me with a dozen minnows in it just doesnt make any
sense  Very Happy Very Happy 

thanks for the good ideas guys
tjflyfisher

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

This is what I used in the salt to hold anchovies

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

like always LOLLY, good work Bro!!!!

my buddy was lookin at something like this also...ill have to show him

Tony G

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Since it's made out of a collapsible laundry basket it is still collapsible after I attached it to the PVC framing. So it lays down flat and you can easily store it in the back of the tube and out of the way.

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

orale yeah for sure....u should start copyrighting all this, start charging peeps that want to copy lol lol

Thanks lolly!

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

just get a minnow box n tie it to your tube they all float i think

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Check out the promar bait motels they make em in 4 diffrence sizes

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would think having a live well raised up a little higher off the water would be better... Less drag!!! I've had an instance where I forgot I was towing a basket in the water and I wasn't moving for S**t!!! If you are working an area with current it might be a big problem. Just my 2 cents.

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote:This is what I used in the salt to hold anchovies

Hey LOLLY. Is this your set up?? I seen this S**t on the net before I met you. I was thinking of duplicating this. LMAO!!!

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yup that's mine

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote:Yup that's mine

Good S**t.... Paisa enginuity!!!!

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey guys,
just a few thoughts going back to the days when I used to fish live bait from my toob for stripers at Pyramid.(and Bonito at Redondo) We typically used the Frabill bait sleds because they were well ventilated and low drag. Later we tried designing our own sleds to hold more bait, but as you can imagine the bigger we made them the more inconvenient they were to drag around. A few things we learned, (if you want to make your own…)
1) light colored outside, kept the temp inside lower,
2) dark colored inside, kept the bait calmer
3) shad and chovies liked round bucket shapes (so they could swim in leisurely circles, that is when they are most happy) Most other swim bait didn't seem to care.
4) having a lid helps keep the birds out and the bait calm
5) the more holes for circulation the better, just keep them small.
6) using netting or screen can harm the bait (they tend to crash into it more and the surface rubs their slime off or injures their noses)
Also if you use screen for anchovies you are inviting a seal attack! Learned that one the hard way at Redondo!

just a few cents!!

bodfish

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Komori wrote:Not to be a downer, but where in SoCal can you legally use live minnows, other than shad netted at the lake you are fishing at.  I would love to use some large Mosquitofish at Lake Perris for those jumbo crappie, but I think they are illegal.  I do think that I've heard somewhere that you can use these minnows for live bait only if you have hand-netted them from the same lake that you are fishing at.  I don't really want to take the chance of getting caught doing this.  Anyone know the CDF&G ruling on this?

Jeff, you're dead on.

Prohibition from using minnow in any water, especially major areas, that have trout. If the area has minnow, which also happen to have trout, netted/trapped/licensed aquaculturist raised (of the same water body the minnow came from) minnow can be used (June 8, 2013 regulatory info).

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

tjflyfisher wrote:thanks for the replies guys

some good ideas as always   i like the boogie board idea
but would probably scale it down a bit im thinking a 1 gallon bucket in a
cut down body board would probably work well  
the pvc idea gives lots of options too so ill have to think about that one
also

i didn t know minnows were not legal in so cal however i only fish the lakes up in central ca we get them from our local bait shop and they sell out fast
during the spring crappie season   the fish love em lol  

i was looking at a bucket yesterday called a frabill turbo troll
its a little big but has good reviews mostly im wondering if i might be able to make it work for me and its cheap too like $9
the thing is i just need something small or medium at best to store maybe
a couple dozen minnows for around two-3 hrs  toting a 5 gallon bucket around the lake with me with a dozen minnows in it just doesnt make any
sense  Very Happy Very Happy 

thanks for the good ideas guys  
tjflyfisher
The Frabill floating tow along bucket was my first thought. It's a classic, well built piece and should do the job.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Hello all, help!

so next week my buddy is letting me borrow one of his kayaks and were hitting the barge picking up a scoop of sardines and heading out....can i make a livewell tank out of that orange LOL bucket from home depot, put a noodle around it so it floats and make a bunch of small holes and tie it to the kayak right...should work right....

thanks tony G

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum