» Dave Scadden Rampage Pontoon Boat to sell
by SP Dan Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:24 am

» Spotties at Huntington Harbor 8.18.19
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 pm

» LAH Wed After Work 8-21-2019
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 pm

» Anouncement for the 2nd Annual HUB Tournament in Oct
by SP Dan Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 pm

» How many Women Float Tubers do we have here?
by jeffcpr Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:08 pm

» FS: SevenBass Design Element Float Tube Package Deal!
by jeffcpr Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Fishing Tactics, Tackle, and reviews » Freshwater Fishing tips and tricks » Cerritos Regional Park

Cerritos Regional Park

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cerritos Regional Park Empty Cerritos Regional Park on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:55 pm

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I don't want to sound like a complete idot, but I have now been fishing for 31 years and have only fished freshwater trout 1 time in the High Sierra's as a kid and yes I caught a crap load of them on I beleive they are called "super dupers".

Well, I work in Cerritos and just found out today that the Cerritos Regional park on Bloomfield actually stocks fish. This is about 5 minutes from my work and I'm determined to catch my first freshwater bass. This is strickly done from walking around the pond. Can anyone give me some tips here. I just picked up a Citica 200g5, which is a good crank bait reel. I just have no idea as to what time of cranks to throw. I have the LC 110 for the surf, do they work on freshwater bass? I have a few other freshwater cranks in my box with a huge bill on them for diving deep. What colors should I use?

Again, I don't want to look like a complete noob, but it is what it is. Does anyone live near Cerritos and fishes this place? Thanks guys.

2Cerritos Regional Park Empty Re: Cerritos Regional Park on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:08 pm

.:LOLLY:.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I have fished this place a few of times and would suggest not to use cranks at all. There are hoses and tubes that run along the bottom of the lake to the fountains. I have lost a few jerk baits to them.

I have caught fish there on robo worms. Drop shot and wacky rig

3Cerritos Regional Park Empty Re: Cerritos Regional Park on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:17 pm

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I have fished this place a few of times and would suggest not to use cranks at all. There are hoses and tubes that run along the bottom of the lake to the fountains. I have lost a few jerk baits to them.

Is it worth the time to fish there? Is catching a fish there like winning the lottery?
I have caught fish there on robo worms. Drop shot and wacky rig

4Cerritos Regional Park Empty Re: Cerritos Regional Park on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Just like any other body of water, you have to learn the patterns and pick up on what's biting. A body of water is always worth it to fish but that's just me. If you're in the area it wouldn't hurt to fish it.

5Cerritos Regional Park Empty Re: Cerritos Regional Park on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:56 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
The two universal bass baits are, in no particular order:

a. Plastic worm
b. Spinner bait

The 6 universal colors are:
White
Black
Chartreuse
Dark Purple
Pumpkin (black speckled earthworm brown)
Green Pumpkin (black speckled olive green)

You can have more than this, of course. But you should always have these.

- Get some 6" soft plastic worms in [purple or black] and Pumpkin w/matched hooks, along with some 3/8" bullet weights. If you wanted only one worm color, make it black.
- Get some 3/8 oz. Colorado-blade spinnerbaits in black, chartreuse and white combinations. If you only wanted one color, make it a combo of black and chartreuse.

Then go to it.

- Rig the worms Texas style and fish them slow, with and without weight around all structure and cover. This is "Probe and Poke" fishing. In particular, look for structure and cover in, or adjacent to, deep water. More bass have probably fallen to this set up than any other.

Think wood, weed stone and shade

- Fish the spinnerbaits around the same areas, letting them run slower near the bottom and faster near the surface. This is "Move and Search" fishing. This bait is neck and neck with the Texas-rigged worm in terms of success.
(If I could only have one bait for bass, I'd take the Colorado bladed spinnerbait).

- Vary retrieve speeds and depths until you get some reaction.

- Statistically, most bass are caught from mid-morning to late afternoon. Plan accordingly.

Our man :LOLLY: said this:
"Just like any other body of water, you have to learn the patterns and pick up on what's biting."

He probably knows as much about it as we two, combined. Listen to him.

Last edited by dayhut on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:14 am; edited 3 times in total

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

6Cerritos Regional Park Empty Re: Cerritos Regional Park on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:06 am

jmericle

jmericle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:The two universal bass baits are, in no particular order:

a. Plastic worm
b. Spinner bait

The 6 universal colors are:
White
Black
Chartreuse
Dark Purple
Pumpkin (black speckled earthworm brown)
Green Pumpkin (black speckled olive green)

You can have more than this, of course. But you should always have these.

- Get some 6" soft plastic worms in [purple or black] and Pumpkin w/matched hooks, along with some 3/8" bullet weights. If you wanted only one worm color, make it black.
- Get some 3/8 oz. Colorado-blade spinnerbaits in black, chartreuse and white combinations. If you only wanted ONE color, make it a combo of black and chartreuse.

Then go to it.

- Rig the worms Texas style and fish them slow, with and without weight around all structure/cover, especially if adjacent to deep water. More bass have probably fallen to this set up than any other.

Think wood, weed stone and shade

- Fish the spinnerbaits in the same areas, letting them run slower near the bottom and faster near the surface. This bait is neck and neck with the Texas-rigged worm in terms of success.
(If I could only have one bait for bass, I'd take the Colorado bladed spinnerbait).

- Vary retrieve speeds and depths until you get some reaction.

- Statistically, most bass are caught from mid-morning to late afternoon. Plan accordingly.

Our man :LOLLY: said this:
"Just like any other body of water, you have to learn the patterns and pick up on what's biting."

He probably knows as much about it as we two, combined. Listen to him.

Very good info here. Thank you. I still have yet to catch my first fresh water bass.

7Cerritos Regional Park Empty Re: Cerritos Regional Park on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:13 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Very good info here. Thank you.  I still have yet to catch my first fresh water bass.  
Well, I'm no expert, but I fish and read a lot. What I've offered here has, by most accounts, resulted in more fish caught than anything else. It has stood the test of time and none of it will set you back much money.

People have made their fortunes on little else, if that helps.

Good luck and we love pictures (hint, hint)  Very Happy

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum