Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Non-Fishing Related Discussions » Off Topic Discussions » Pour some lead!!

Pour some lead!!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Hey Ed ill go in on some lead with u if u find a suplier( aka tire shop). Less than a dollar a pound is ok, .50$ or so is good.

Ill Check around Thumbs Up lots of tire around here matter a fact there one right next store to me loli hit him up tommorow Twisted Evil

27Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
cool,

28Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:25 am

73Camaro

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member
Guys, please, be very careful with pouring lead...my same buddy bought some rock cod sinkers to melt down and he heard this hissing sound coming from his pot, next thing he knows, the lead "pops" and lead goes spraying into the air...after thinking about it, he figured the lead sinkers had an air pocket in it and it exploded!

29Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Guys, please, be very careful with pouring lead...my same buddy bought some rock cod sinkers to melt down and he heard this hissing sound coming from his pot, next thing he knows, the lead "pops" and lead goes spraying into the air...after thinking about it, he figured the lead sinkers had an air pocket in it and it exploded!

sorry to hear about your buddy i wll be more carefull now thanks Thumbs Up

30Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:40 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Yes lead will do that. you have to melt them slowly and make sure there is no WATER,

If the weights he melted were used they could have had air pockets that got filled with water just by using them. That is when it hits the fan.

Also be careful not to heat it too much so that the lead vaporizes and goes airborne cause then you will breath it in and it will concentrate in your body. Then you can get lead poisoning witch causes all kinds of stuff, like brain damage, birth defects, yada yada yada. Its just not worth the savings. Make sure you KNOW exactly what your doing. It could cost you your life. Just be careful out there guys.

31Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:09 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Man that is some scary stuff guys be careful for sure

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

32Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:58 pm

Dano67

Dano67
You sellin these fine little gadgets once complete?

33Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Not really planning on it. Havnt even gotten the molds yet. Maybe Ed sells his.

34Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:35 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
i dont have the molds that we are taking about yet but when or if i get them i will share the wealth Thumbs Up

35Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:44 pm

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Yes lead will do that. you have to melt them slowly and make sure there is no WATER,

If the weights he melted were used they could have had air pockets that got filled with water just by using them. That is when it hits the fan.

Also be careful not to heat it too much so that the lead vaporizes and goes airborne cause then you will breath it in and it will concentrate in your body. Then you can get lead poisoning witch causes all kinds of stuff, like brain damage, birth defects, yada yada yada. Its just not worth the savings. Make sure you KNOW exactly what your doing. It could cost you your life. Just be careful out there guys.
all our initial melting is done OUTSIDE.
pour it into ingots for later use.
saftey glasses and gloves are a MUST.
also very good ventilation!
used sinkers or lead that has been outside for a season can easily have water in it!
BE CAREFUL!!!!!

http://www.smithshandpouredbaits.com

36Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Very true SHPB. Good info here guys.

I also do all my metling outside and pour into smaller chunks for later use.

37Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:37 am

Dano67

Dano67
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Very true SHPB. Good info here guys.

Do ya do any smelting?

38Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:59 am

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Do ya do any smelting?

Do you mean like actual smelting? AKA the purification of Iron Ore? No way. That would be way too hot.green happy

I do add wax to the molten lead to raise the impurities as slag and scoop them out. Not sure what that is called but that might be what you are referring too.

Sorry for my ignorance.

39Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 am

Dano67

Dano67
I have no idea what I am referring to!! I just liked the word and wanted to use it in a sentence Razz

40Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:28 pm

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Do ya do any smelting?

Do you mean like actual smelting? AKA the purification of Iron Ore? No way. That would be way too hot.green happy

I do add wax to the molten lead to raise the impurities as slag and scoop them out. Not sure what that is called but that might be what you are referring too.

Sorry for my ignorance.
it's called FLUXING. a little borax will work also.
i love to watch to clips from the tire wgts. pop up while the lead melts

41Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:29 pm

smith's handpoured baits

smith's handpoured baits
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Very true SHPB. Good info here guys.

Do ya do any smelting?
doesn't smelting have something to do with those little fishes?
geek

42Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Here is what wiki says.

"Smelt may refer to:

* Smelting, chemical process
* Smelts, a number of small fishes:
o Great Lakes Smelts (North American) in the family Osmeridae and genera Allosmerus (also called whitebait smelt), Hypomesus, Mallotus, Osmerus, Spirinchus and Thaleichthys
o Whitebait Smelts (North American) in the family Osmeridae and genera: Allosmerus, Elongatus, Hypomesus and Mallotus
o Australian smelt in the family Retropinnidae and species retropinna semoni
o New Zealand smelt in the family Retropinnidae and species retropinna retropinna
o Herring smelts in the family Argentinidae
o Deep-sea smelts in the family Bathylagidae
o Silversides in the family Atherinidae
o Smelt-whitings in the family Sillaginidae
* Smelt, past tense and past participle of smell.
"

43Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Dano67

Dano67
Like I knew something smelt fishy

44Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
It must be the smelts. silent

45Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I pour some of my own jig heads at work when it's slow, mostly darter and ball head in odd hook and weight combinations that you can't get with store bought ones.

I get my led usually from garage/yard sales and a couple times off craigs list. Big stuff I cut down on a band saw or drill a couple holes through to relieve possible air pockets. And I always pour with a mask, glasses and gloves on outside. Don't want to have to get tested for led levels like my friends that work the gun range lol.

I hit all the local fishing/marine swapmeets and community college swapmeets and have got my molds from there for $5-10 each, most people just want to get rid of them or don't know what they are.

As far as painting them never really saw the need to, always figured the less the jig head showed up the better.

46Pour some lead!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pour some lead!! on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Madbasser

Madbasser
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Cool info Vagabond. I hit up alot of swpmeets and garage sales and have never found any mold at all. 5-10$ is a steal man. I would love to find a simple ball head jig mold, to modify, for 5$. I would be in heaven. LOL

I have aslo bought a bunch of old wieghts for cheap and melted them down.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum