FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Super lines? What works best for ultralight reels

+2
Catman1979
Yardsaleunderwear
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Yardsaleunderwear

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have never bought anything other than mono and flurocarbon. But I would like to try either Berkely Nanofill or Fireline, it's going on an Okuma UL spinner that I use 4 lb mono on. I typically use it for Road runners and rooster tails and small rattle traps. I don't have room on my tube for another rig and want to use it for large tubes for sm mouth so I would like to put 6-8 lb line on this reel. While maintaining the small diameter line. # 1 "Problem" the spool is so small that big line wants to fall off when casting. I need to advice from someone who has used these types of lines extensively. PLEASE HELP!! (Some knot tying advice also) Thanks guys. scratch 

Catman1979

Catman1979
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

If you are having line run off, then it sounds like you don't have an instant anti-reverse on your reel. It can't have slop. I don't get too fancy with UL line, as I stick with 4lb P-Line, or 4lb Berkeley. I try to use a palomar, but when doing a fly under bubble I will use a slipknot. Better knots for UL then a palomar though, not the best. I use a palomar to keep me fishing more...

Well since your using a spinning reel I can second the P-Line Comment , the stuff is strong and 4lb would be ideal on your UL spinning reel. if your looking at smaller diameter and trying to have something really smooth then 6lb berkley smooth cast Xl you could get away with , I would not got higher then 6lb on that reel as your only gonna get like 90yrds on a UL reel

WES

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I think the heavier line wants to fall off while casting because you over filled the spool. Try taking some line off to prevent it from wanting to fall off on it's own like that. Also like has already been mentioned, 4lbs line or under would be ideal for ultra light reels.

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

DO NOT US NANO or FIRELINE they SUCK specially fireline get power pro little more money but 100x better

Yardsaleunderwear

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks FISHER I was about to make a huge mistake with nano, this spool diameter is only three quarters of an inch and only hold about 75 yds of 4 lb. Guess I will just use some strong mono, and forget about it.

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I've only had line fall off on two occasions, once I had a spinner that was designed so the spool was actually smaller at the release end. This resulted in epic casting lengths, I mean EPIC but eventually I got tired of dealing with line problems.

The other was over spooling the line. I think you could create the issue your having with heavy line on a micro spool by getting within an 1/8" of the top and with lighter line getting within an 1/16" of the top.
Looking at a 3/4" spool sure makes it sound tempting to get as much line on there as possible.
Just my thoughts.

Catman1979

Catman1979
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Look into what Looly said to. When you fill it up, open the bell. All the line that comes off you don't want on,so clip it where the line finally holds the spool.

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

you might want to look into backing your spool with dacron or mono and adding the braid on top.

The stuff seems to behave itself better when I do that. Dont overfill, either.... stop winding about 2mm from spool rim.

PS Ive read the mono will swell once wet, which could cause problems. But I think that is for fly reels. Ive not seen a problem with small spinning reel spools.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum