Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Go to spottie reaction baits?

Go to spottie reaction baits?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:32 am

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I'm gearing up for a TW order soon and am in need of more reaction baits to add to my spottie arsenal. I intend to get a few deep diving cranks, Spinnerbaits, and some swimbaits (probably hard ones).

May I ask for size, color, and brand recommendations? So far the Strike King 6XDs are catching my attention, but I feel that they may dive a little too deep for most of the harbors I can get access to with the exception of Cabrillo.

Thanks a bunch guys.

-IF2L

2Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:53 am

.:LOLLY:.

.:LOLLY:.
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
For hard body lures I have only used spinners and crank baits. I just looked up the 6XDs and I do not think they dive to deep at all. The reason being is that if you're fishing docks you would need your bait to dive fast since the cast is relatively short and cranks don't sink.

3Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:21 am

I agree with lolly, your cranks can never drive too deep. You want them hitting bottom and bouncing off of rocks etc.
you can also give jerk baits a go as well but just like everything else there's a time and place for them

4Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:39 am

rusty hook

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
For soft bait I use the Squirmin Shad from Bass Pro shop. They are outstanding in every way. The three inch baby bass for me is the best but I use almost all of them. Riged with a 1/4 oz wire round yellow jig head with a little smelly jelley. On good days I have gotten up to 40 spotties in four hours. I have gotten halibutts and other fish on it as well. Try using the 4 inch on sand bass, works real well. As for the price you can not go wrong. I think a package of 15 cost about $3.50 for the 3 inch which in reality is only about 2 1/2 inches. I can not say enough about this swim bait!!!! Try it and let me know what you think of it

5Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:33 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
I am not a crank baits guy in fact I have never caught a fish on a crank bait, this will be some interesting info for sure I will be watching.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Any specific cranks or spinnerbaits that you guys can recommend? I'm asking because the spinner that I have been using, while it's gotten a few good spotties, is rusting out quick. I want to get one that's a little more resistant to saltwater. And the cranks department would be nice too! Thanks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:For hard body lures I have only used spinners and crank baits. I just looked up the 6XDs and I do not think they dive to deep at all. The reason being is that if you're fishing docks you would need your bait to dive fast since the cast is relatively short and cranks don't sink.

They can dive to 20'? I think? I figured that would be plenty deep, but yeah you're right on the docks issue. A crankbait doesn't stay in the strike zone long enough. But, it's not to say that they don't catch fish.

miller wrote:I agree with lolly, your cranks can never drive too deep. You want them hitting bottom and bouncing off of rocks etc.
you can also give jerk baits a go as well but just like everything else there's a time and place for them

Yep. I've done that with a rattle trap and gotten a nice spottie before. But only once! lol

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:For soft bait I use the Squirmin Shad from Bass Pro shop. They are outstanding in every way. The three inch baby bass for me is the best but I use almost all of them. Riged with a 1/4 oz wire round yellow jig head with a little smelly jelley. On good days I have gotten up to 40 spotties in four hours. I have gotten halibutts and other fish on it as well. Try using the 4 inch on sand bass, works real well. As for the price you can not go wrong. I think a package of 15 cost about $3.50 for the 3 inch which in reality is only about 2 1/2 inches. I can not say enough about this swim bait!!!! Try it and let me know what you think of it

Thanks. I may give them a shot. lol but you're in SD though where spotties are so aggressive that they hit topwater. The northern spottie bays I have up here aren't as wild. They need a little more coaxing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I am not a crank baits guy in fact I have never caught a fish on a crank bait, this will be some interesting info for sure I will be watching.

It's real fun Jeff. You should try them.

7Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:42 pm

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I've been wanting to throw the crank but for some reason it feels sketchy throwing it from the tube.

8Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:58 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
LOLLY and miller explained the deep diver perfectly. Also shallow divers for fishing right at the top of the eel grass, similar to spinnerbaits.
As for spinnerbaits, the bolt thrower works really well. Another one I use is the Terminator T-1 and T-2 titanium 1 ounce.

9Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:19 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Another great bait to try is a underspin! Gangbuster baits makes a sweet one.

10Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:27 pm

@Ifishtoolittle wrote:Any specific cranks or spinnerbaits that you guys can recommend?  I'm asking because the spinner that I have been using, while it's gotten a few good spotties, is rusting out quick.  I want to get one that's a little more resistant to saltwater.  And the cranks department would be nice too!  Thanks!

@.:LOLLY:. wrote:For hard body lures I have only used spinners and crank baits. I just looked up the 6XDs and I do not think they dive to deep at all. The reason being is that if you're fishing docks you would need your bait to dive fast since the cast is relatively short and cranks don't sink.

They can dive to 20'? I think?  I figured that would be plenty deep, but yeah you're right on the docks issue.  A crankbait doesn't stay in the strike zone long enough.  But, it's not to say that they don't catch fish.

miller wrote:I agree with lolly, your cranks can never drive too deep. You want them hitting bottom and bouncing off of rocks etc.

Yep.  I've done that with a rattle trap and gotten a nice spottie before.  But only once!  lol

@rusty hook wrote:For soft bait I use the Squirmin Shad from Bass Pro shop. They are outstanding in every way. The three inch baby bass for me is the best but I use almost all of them. Riged with a 1/4 oz wire round yellow jig head with a little smelly jelley. On good days I have gotten up to 40 spotties in four hours. I have gotten halibutts and other fish on it as well. Try using the 4 inch on sand bass, works real well. As for the price you can not go wrong. I think a package of 15 cost about $3.50 for the 3 inch which in reality is only about 2 1/2 inches. I can not say enough about this swim bait!!!! Try it and let me know what you think of it

Thanks.  I may give them a shot.  lol but you're in SD though where spotties are so aggressive that they hit topwater.  The northern spottie bays I have up here aren't as wild.  They need a little more coaxing.

@jeffcpr wrote:I am not a crank baits guy in fact I have never caught a fish on a crank bait, this will be some interesting info for sure I will be watching.

It's real fun Jeff.  You should try them.  

The best spinnerbaits I found are from SRG baits, they are all hand made, HD wiring etc. but that's only if you can find them still.
Keep in mind for cranks, if they say they dive down to 20ft they don't in the ocean. The ocean is more dense and usually we use heavier line and that plays affect on how deep they can dive.

11Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:52 am

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Reebs lures bolt thrower is another spinnerbait to check out also. They come in 1oz and 1/2oz all hand made, skirt is zip tied down, heavy grade wire and a gigantic hook so theirs no need to add a trailer hook. And if you have any problems with moving parts just send it back to reebs and he will send you a new one!

12Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:22 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
IFTL.....I've used a hard crank bait that's jointed made by Rebel,  called the "Rebel Jointed Spoonbill Minnow". Only place I've used it is NPB, straight out from the Coast Guard station. Spotties, Sand Bass, Halibut, and had a WSB take it for a ride. You have to troll it deep, just off the top of the ell grass. As the story goes, I was invited to fish in a Gregory aluminum and said you will only need one lure. I brought everything. Boy did I look like a chump. Harold fished the Rebel, first pass hook-up and so on. Me 0...nada nothing. He gave me a Rebel and Bingo. Left everything home the next time but the Rebel. Caught my limit and released a whole bunch more. I'm a believer............GT

BTW, tubing at low tide would be your best bet with this crank

13Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:03 am

vincecinq

New FTFF Member
New FTFF Member
bolt throwers and warblades will out fish any crank or swimbait....i easily double my fish count throwing reaction baits but there is a learning curve to see how they like it. took me a few weeks of dedication to them to make it happen but i havent thrown a swimbait for spotties in at least 6 months

14Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:40 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:bolt throwers and warblades will out fish any crank or swimbait....i easily double my fish count throwing reaction baits but there is a learning curve to see how they like it. took me a few weeks of dedication to them to make it happen but i havent thrown a swimbait for spotties in at least 6 months

Very good point vince! That's the best way to learn how to fish a bait that is new to you if you are serious about learning how to use it. You have to dedicate some time to it verses making a couple of casts and then use something else. Have fun with it. If you aren't getting bit, don't stress about getting skunked. Try varying your retrieve. Learning new baits and techniques will only make you a better fish catching machine. It might seem hard at first but stick with it. You will thank yourself. Good luck and have fun.

15Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Thanks for the loads of great suggestions guys.

I've gotten a few spotties on the blade and man were they fun. Since then though I've been struggling to get one to bite but at the same time I'm not really varying my retrieves. I'll usually cast out, let it hit the bottom, and do a slow wind.

16Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Here are some pic's that were taken in NPH using the Rebel lure I mentioned in my earlier post. Granted we trolled the lure, right off the bottom, so I would assume it would be a task to get it down, especially during a high tide.  Enjoy.....GT[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you can see, booth spotties and SB.

17Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Thanks GT. The pics aren't showing up though.

18Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:21 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I open the thread and see them........Can anyone else? GT

19Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I hope you released all those spotties

20Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
I see the pics.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

21Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:49 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
Released what females we could identify and smoked the rest.......really good eating. Don't fear, I release almost 90% of the fish I catch now, especially in the Ocean. I grew up here and have seen the decline in the fisheries......GT

BTW, one of those stringers was my partner, we made sure we had legal fish. I've seen DFG bust people in NPB. Not something I want to go through.

22Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I see the pics.

What do you see Jerdon? lol I still don't see it even with my phone.

23Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 pm

@GT wrote:Released what females we could identify and smoked the rest.......really good eating. Don't fear, I release almost 90% of the fish I catch now, especially in the Ocean. I grew up here and have seen the decline in the fisheries......GT

BTW, one of those stringers was my partner, we made sure we had legal fish. I've seen DFG bust people in NPB.  Not something I want to go through.

I'm glad your releasing them now. I'm sure I'm younger than you but I have been releasing them from the first time fishing for them in the early 90s.
Not here to preach but just saying and if your doing everything then to each of their own

24Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:13 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
It's all good Miller....I would love it if one of the harbor captains had a c&r boat. I'd fish it. I sometimes get comments and looks when I release keepers on the cattle boats........not that it makes me a saint....GT

25Go to spottie reaction baits? Empty Re: Go to spottie reaction baits? on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 pm

fishinelectrician

fishinelectrician
FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Norman cranks. The N series has been good for me. Colors i use are fried green tomatoe, chartruese blue bacc, and bumblebee... Try em out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum