FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go-to tackle for float tubing freshwater

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Go-to tackle for float tubing freshwater Empty Go-to tackle for float tubing freshwater Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:16 pm

Squirrelbane

FTFF Gathering Officer

After years of not fishing at all, I got my Cumberland for Christmas and am getting excited about fishing again. I'm trying to do a fresh start on my gear and tackle. I have a few questions for you all:
1. What lb test and type of line do you use in freshwater for bass, bream, crappie, etc?
2. What are your go-to lures and baits for your tackle box?
3. What is a good resource I can use to learn how to fish different artificial baits (I pretty much used to use live bait.)

Looking forward to reading your advice!

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Hey Squirrelbane,

Congrats on the new Cumberland and welcome to the forums.

I too got a new Cumberland for Christmas and I absolutely love the thing. I just fished installing a new fish finder on it and 'Im itching to get it out and test it out.

I'll give you my own opinion for what you need as I fish for almost the same types of fish as you do.
If your going for bass and crappie, your best bet is to have more than 1 rod. For Crappie fishing I like to use more of a finesse setup compared to bass.

Most of my setups on my rods have a 8-10# of P-line floroclear. I do a lot of sinko, drop shot, and jika (all purpose) rigs for bass.

Hope this helps a little, Good luck on your first outage and keep us posted on how you like your new Cumberland.

Dex

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Squirrelbane wrote:After years of not fishing at all, I got my Cumberland for Christmas and am getting excited about fishing again. I'm trying to do a fresh start on my gear and tackle. I have a few questions for you all:
1. What lb test and type of line do you use in freshwater for bass, bream, crappie, etc?
3. What is a good resource I can use to learn how to fish different artificial baits (I pretty much used to use live bait.)

I will give this a shot [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I like the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] seems to have all kinds of info. Of course you can just ask here and I am sure you will find what you are looking for as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I like light line for crappie and Bream 2 to 4 lb mono. For Bass I like 6 to 8 lb line I am a mono guys.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Mini jigs for Crappie (Marabou jigs I make them myself) for bream the same but bait or flies seems to be the best way to catch this fish. Bass that is hard to say there is some many different types of lures out there. Personally I would start out with some dropshot worms 3" to 4" and some texas rigging worm size 4" to 6". And either worm would work on the jika rigs as well.

Hope this help welcome to the board and congrats on you new float see you on the water some day.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

For a day of fresh water fishing I like to bring 4 set ups

4# set up for drop shotting
6# set up for Wacky rig or splitshotting
8# set up for Texas or Carolina Rigs
12# for jigs, spinnerbaits, or whatever reaction bait I think will work

And I will move up or down in size as I'm moving to try and match the conditions.
With he 4# set up I can target panfish or bass, and sometimes I'll change that to splitshot for panfish.
I'll bring a 2# set up to target Bluegills if that's the target of the day.
I also have some 15# set ups for reaction baits in rocky or weedy conditions.

Hope this helps.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

Squirrelbane wrote:After years of not fishing at all, I got my Cumberland for Christmas and am getting excited about fishing again. I'm trying to do a fresh start on my gear and tackle. I have a few questions for you all:

Welcome Squirrelbane ,

We all seem to have different setups and fishing methods . so the answers will vary especially on waters .

Personally I carry 4 different types of rigs this time of year due to the prespawn starting to take off . Drop Shot , Jig stick , cranking rod and my ultra light for the panfish moving in.

1.  Line : 4lb on Panfish rod , 6 on drop shot and 10-12 on other Jig and Cranking
2 . Bait : Roboworms/Senko . jigs Strike King/ Missile Jigs natural colors .  Strike King and LC Square Bills. Panfish White Tube jig .  1/16oz
3. Resources :You Tube (great Visuals for techniques) bass resource as Was mentioned
4. Colors to match your hatch (Shad , Crawfish for example) Or natural colors Browns, Greens will work most places
5 . if fishing for panfish the shellcrackers or redear are the first ones moving in with the Bass and they will hit the square bill Cranks . (This bite is fun Reaction for the win)
6. instead of just straight casting towards the bank try casting parallel to it !!!

Have Fun on the water and Again Welcome ,  

WES

Squirrelbane

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for the help, Dex, JeffCPR, Jerdon, and Misfitdog. I'm learning a lot. (That bass resource site has a lot of great educational articles and video- just learned about dropshotting - cool!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum