After years of not fishing at all, I got my Cumberland for Christmas and am getting excited about fishing again. I'm trying to do a fresh start on my gear and tackle. I have a few questions for you all:
1. What lb test and type of line do you use in freshwater for bass, bream, crappie, etc?
2. What are your go-to lures and baits for your tackle box?
3. What is a good resource I can use to learn how to fish different artificial baits (I pretty much used to use live bait.)
Looking forward to reading your advice!
Welcome Squirrelbane ,
We all seem to have different setups and fishing methods . so the answers will vary especially on waters .
Personally I carry 4 different types of rigs this time of year due to the prespawn starting to take off . Drop Shot , Jig stick , cranking rod and my ultra light for the panfish moving in.
1. Line : 4lb on Panfish rod , 6 on drop shot and 10-12 on other Jig and Cranking
2 . Bait : Roboworms/Senko . jigs Strike King/ Missile Jigs natural colors . Strike King and LC Square Bills. Panfish White Tube jig . 1/16oz
3. Resources :You Tube (great Visuals for techniques) bass resource as Was mentioned
4. Colors to match your hatch (Shad , Crawfish for example) Or natural colors Browns, Greens will work most places
5 . if fishing for panfish the shellcrackers or redear are the first ones moving in with the Bass and they will hit the square bill Cranks . (This bite is fun Reaction for the win)
6. instead of just straight casting towards the bank try casting parallel to it !!!
Have Fun on the water and Again Welcome ,