FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

For the Newbie who want to try tubing

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1For the Newbie who want to try tubing Empty For the Newbie who want to try tubing Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:59 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Pick A Good Float Tube

Not all float tubes are created equal. Three main types of belly boats exist on the market: the original round design, the U-tube design and the pontoon design. The original round float tubes consist of a truck tire inner-tube sheathed in nylon cloth with pockets. They work in a pinch, but are a poor choice for stream fishing. Their design makes it difficult for you to get out of the boat in shallow water. Round float tubes can also flip over in current and pin you upside down.

The U-boat, which is open in the front and forms a semicircle around the angler, is a better choice. These are more expensive than the round design, but are safer to use. They are lightweight and easy to carry to the stream.

The pontoon design, however, is the best choice for floating streams. The pontoon style employs two pontoons that feature a spreader bar in front of the angler, and a backrest for more comfort on longer floats. A pontoon design is easy to get in and out of, especially in shallow water. You can prop their legs over the spreader bar and float through shallow shoals. Some anglers drill a hole in the end of a small wooden oar, run a piece of rope through it and tie a carabineer to the end of the rope. They next attach the carabineer to the D-rings on a belly boat so that they can maneuver in current without having to worry about losing the oar. Other anglers wear flippers on their feet to control their belly boats on streams, but a pair of wading boots or plain work boots do best in flowing water. The thick soles of these boots protect your feet from impacting rocks. Flippers make exiting the boat difficult on slick rocks in current or in shallow water.

Article from About.com Thank you

Last edited by jeffcpr on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

37jb1973

37jb1973
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hey jeff nice simple read I agree, u-tube or pontoon is the best way to go. For all the new guys stay away from the round tubes. I am sure some feel they are fine and I don't think that they are unsafe, I just feel much more safer in anything but a doughnut.

3For the Newbie who want to try tubing Empty Re: For the Newbie who want to try tubing Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:16 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I had my wife fish in a doughnut years back for her first time in the water. I was freaked for her pale all went just fine, but after that trip i bought her a u-shape to many concerns of safety for me.

37jb1973

37jb1973
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Oh ya you want to keep her safe right, that is cool she wanted to get out there with you.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya she stayed safe, we went to Irvine when we pulled up in the early afternoon we got to the water and saw white caps everywhere. The wind was high but I said lets go or it, got here in the water and she blow ways Shocked I got in and chased her down straighten her out and said ok here we go, follow me I started kicking and she did to. Problem was she was still going the wrong way. The whole trip lasted a hole Hour and half.
Cool thing was after that screw up, she went again and we fished Laguna Niguel and Puddingstone.
That was it though she wont go anymore Sad it was fun at the time maybe she will go again one day

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum