FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

To Lip Or Not To Lip????

+5
bigfish
kobra
Jerdon
Hunt
jeffcpr
9 posters

To Lip Or Not To Lip????

To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Vote_lcap278%To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Vote_rcap 78% [ 7 ]
To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Vote_lcap20%To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Vote_lcap222%To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Vote_rcap 22% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:11 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So do you lip your fish or do you think it is wrong to lip your fish what  is your vote and reasons. Thumbs Up

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I vote for lipping. Even though I have a no snag net I will lip a fish for speed if there are not too many hooks in the way. I don't like untangling trebles from netting and I also like the intimacy of holding my fish without harming the slime or gills. Do not try on walleye, yellow perch, pike, pickerel or muskie!

Last edited by Hunt on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.integrity-traders.com

3To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I vote for lipping, especially for LMB I don't plan on pulling out of the water.
That said, with other fish or funky conditions come in play, I prefer the net.

4To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:20 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Depends on the specie of fish. I always prefer to lip rather than net if it's not the toothy variety.

5To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:17 am

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

A great question!

Back a few years ago I was asked by a fellow Float Tuber how effective netting was in regards to lost fish at the tube. I couldn't answer him with accuracy so I decided I needed to gather some data.

I gathered numbers for both during a three month period. My tracking was conducted catching LMB. I was shocked to discover I was losing roughly 13 percent of my catches at the tube without using a net! If they don't do the lap dance and pose for a picture they don't count.

I think that there is skill, or lack of skill, involved in both methods. I still see fishermen lipping fish and displaying them in manners which cause the fish great harm. I also see fishermen using nets that are designed only to capture the fish with no consideration for the safety of the fish.

I use a net that is designed for catch and release with the safety of the fish being a primary consideration. The down side is that I do get a fair percentage of hook entanglements. It's just part of the deal.

My technique is to net the fish. Then I immediately lip the fish with a Fish Grip jr., remove the hook and place him back in the water. My Fish Grip has a short tether on it. I can now clear my net and prepare to take a pic. Then I pull the fish out of the water, take my pic/measurement and immediately release the fish.
So, ultimately...I prefer netting.

6To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:57 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Umm i usually lip them unless its a halibut Thumbs Up or something with loads of teeth What a Face

7To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

It all depends on how large the fish is, how well it is hooked and what your line size is. For me, I fish for large bluegill, Redears and crappie and I use primarily 2 lb test line. If I think the fish might break my line as I swing it into my float tube, I'll just use my soft trout net that I always bring along. I usually net all my fish because I don't want to lose my jig or circle hook just in case there is a weak spot at my knot. For bass fishing, I'll just grab the fish by it's lower jaw unless it's a giant and barely hooked, then I'll net it. Fish that have teeth and are to be released, like halibut, they get netted.

8To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:40 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thanks for all the info guys I am not supersized by the response I agree with all that was said salute

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

9To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:01 am

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I prefer lipping...I do own a no snag net. However, I try to keep my catch under as Lil stress as possible whether i am doing catch n release or not. Fish put under a lot of stress will die even if they're released.
And if kept the meat doesn't stay as crisp.

10To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Empty Re: To Lip Or Not To Lip???? Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:49 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

It depends on the species of fish and I'm really not a fan of either. Just lift them onto your lap and remove the hook .... simple. I use 8-lb mono. I grab the line and lift them onto my lap.

I only lip the trifecta of Bass: Grumpy, Turd Roller and Checker Side, by sticking my thumb deep-down in their throats to their tongues. I carry a Boga-Grip but I prefer not to use it on my catches.

Now if it's a large toothy Halibut .... like the 25" that I caught on my Maiden Float Voyage, the Boga-Grip definitely gets used for mine and the fish's safety, to quickly get it onto my lap. If you can get them onto your lap with their eye side down and their white belly side up, them seem to calm down a lot more.

I try not to ever just hang "dangle" the fish in the air .... just for a photo op. A lot of people think that just because the fish swims away that it's OK. Many fish swill swim away just to die a short time later because of damage caused by their miss handling.

Most species of fish have an extremely weak jaw and mouth design, not designed for hanging their body weight from without permanently damaging the fish's mouth and throat areas. White Sea Bass is definitely one of them.

Halibut ..... I get them on my lap and remove the hook immediately. I never use a net. I prefer to hold them from the underneath (belly side) and gently apply pressure inward to their gill plates while my other hand supports their body weight from under their bellies when handling. I never, never tail grab them, they can loose their protective coating of slim and die later after release from tail rot and or parasites.

I am a 100% catch and release CPR Sportsman. I want to give the fish a chance to re-populate their own species.

Did I answer the question? Hmmmmmm ... less handling and quicker releases is my answer.

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum