by GT Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Sleeper rods

Sleeper rods

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Sleeper rods on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:19 pm

Mscustomflies

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Do many of you fish a sleeper rod whilst your out tubing, think I might have read a couple of you fish a dropshot sleeper rod?

It's something I'd not really considered as I fly fish for pike but might see if I've still got some bait gear in the garage and drop a float fished deadbait down the side of the tube

2 Re: Sleeper rods on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:38 am

volcomsurfrider

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
I use to drag a bait on a second rod while I was kicking out to a location. If I was structure fishing such as boat docks, boat moorings, pylons, I don't soak a second rod anymore. I find it too difficult to manage a second rod. Especially once a fish is hooked on the main rod.

3 Re: Sleeper rods on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:49 am

Ornery Bob

I'd give it a whirl and see how you like it!

One of my videos shows me catching a fish on sleeper... unintentionally! Didn't even realize I was dragging the bait.

I've experimented with running a drop shot sleeper, but I also found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

For me, feeling the fish take the lure/bait is a big part of the fun of catching a fish. When you're fishing a sleeper, the fish basically catches itself and all you're doing is reeling it in. It's essentially the same thing as bait and wait shore fishing with multiple rods, which I have spent plenty of time doing, and I've had a lot of fun catching fish that way, but when I'm in my tube, I'm actively hunting for fish instead of hoping they come to me and so I'm focusing on the rod in my hand.

But that's just me, which is why I say you should give a whirl and see how you like it!

4 Re: Sleeper rods on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Seems like it happens many times while bringing in one nice panfish while float tubing, I get another fish on my "bait rod" that's secure in a "trolling rod holder". I will at times slow troll jigs or Komori rigs that have self hooking circle hooks while I slowly kick along, but I prefer to hold onto the rod to give it a little action. If I'm eating a sandwich, I usually just have out one rod.

5 Re: Sleeper rods on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:29 pm

SP Dan

I always run a second rod with out any problems and I always have double the fun! Cool

51 fish last weekend. More time fishing and no time wasted blowing up a local AO on a Go-Pro.

It's the fish that bites the hook ... whether or not it's in your hand. With the aggressive salt water species ... they hook them selves ... I never set the hook with a swing.

When I get a hook up on my second rod ... I reel a few quick cranks and set the hook, I reel in the line of my casting rod and set that rod in the rod holder ... then I take the second rod out of the swiveling rod holder and enjoy a good fight and a CPR.

It's the same fight ...

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

6 Re: Sleeper rods on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:37 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
I am with SP Dan I also have a second rod running with a drop shot or jika rig set up.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7 Re: Sleeper rods on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Misfitdog

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I do agree I run a 2nd rod a lot as well , i do miss more bites i feel in Fresh water because you have to put 1 rod down and set the hook on the other . now if they slam it that is a different story and yes the double hook ups are nice , except when you have 1 fish run right over the other and you lose both lol

WES

8 Re: Sleeper rods on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Jerdon

I do quite a bit as well.
It depends on what reaction bait I am working, but I try to keep a second rod in the trolling rod holder that I have angled away from the tube.  If I am throwing topwater, crank, or spinnerbait I will drag a drop shot. If I am working a jig or bottom bouncing something I will leave a senko hanging off the the side about 4 or 5 feet off the bottom.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

9 Re: Sleeper rods on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:54 am

Mscustomflies

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Well I've just bought some mackerel and herring from the supermarket so I'm going to try running a bait rod under a float down the side of the tube whilst fly fishing baitfish patterns, pike don't tend to eject baits although they have to be struck within a sensible time as they tend to turn the bait and gorge it down.

It's been a long time since I've bait fished for pike so it's going to be interesting

10 Re: Sleeper rods on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:30 am

Tony G Fishing

love my sleeper rod, gets smashed more than the one im holding...maybe more of lifelike presentation as its doing what it wants...

11 Re: Sleeper rods on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:38 am

Mscustomflies

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Well I went out today and my sleeper bait rod over the side very nearly saved me a blank but it came unstuck, felt a decent fish too

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum