by GT Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Serious carp fishing

Serious carp fishing

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Serious carp fishing on Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Are there any serious carp fishermen out there?   I met a guy yesterday at the park who caught and released two huge carp.  He showed me his tackle and all his gear.  I was very impressed.  Quite a serious sport for these big strong speedsters.  Carp fishing is super popular in Europe and the UK and gradually becoming a more popular sport here in the USA.  The fish are not looked at as being a "trash fish" as much as they were 10 years ago.  I think I could get into fishing for carp.  We've all sat there on the shore in the past and used dough balls and corn on light rods for carp, but this is way beyond that.  Carp fishermen are as serious about their fishing as bass fishermen are about theirs!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2 Re: Serious carp fishing on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:55 pm

kin

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I'm pretty addicted to using Hera rods for them. Pretty fun fight and the action can be intense. The true secret is figuring out everyone's hot bait. Some people like to use strawberry jello powder with their bollies, others masa...weirdest one was adding fish oil to their dough baits, something about the larger fish seek out protein more.

3 Re: Serious carp fishing on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:14 am

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
kin- The hera rod fishing is crazy! I've seen people use this method on large stocked Rainbow trout. It's kind of cool yet reminds me of the old commercial tuna fishermen where they drop the barbless shiny hook down, hook a tuna and pull it up and over into the boat and then quickly put the hook out for another tuna. One after another. No fight allowed. I enjoy using a reel and fighting the fish, especially a large one that takes out the reel's drag. Also it's a more relaxing way to fish.

4 Re: Serious carp fishing on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:30 am

kin

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I love to use trout gear for them too, but that tug of war tickles my fancy too much lol. It is quit challenging when you hook into five pound fish on an 18' ugly stick. When I first got into using hera rods, my arm was sore because I wasn't used to fighting fish in that manner.
I think the best part of carp fishing: they are so overlooked, there are monsters everywhere!

5 Re: Serious carp fishing on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:21 pm

Litefoot

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
The east side of Silverwood Lake has really huge carp they're in the bass spawning areas sunny

6 Re: Serious carp fishing on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:09 am

volcomsurfrider

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
I remember growing up and skateboarding to my local park lakes with a ultra light trout rod, 2lb Maxima line, Size 8 Owner SSW hooks and a bag of white bread. During the warm afternoons of Summer, I use to just sit and float bread pieces watching the Carp come up and eat so quietly. Stuck some HUGE local lake carp! Regular 10lb plus were like all the time. Got a few over 20lbs and 1 over 28lbs. On 2lb Maxima line! Up to 2 hours of walking around the lake shoreline and blistering drag runs. Caught, photographed and released. On good ole Kodak or Fuji 35mm Film! Good times! Very Happy

7 Re: Serious carp fishing on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
volcomsurfrider.. Do you have any of those photos that you can post here on this website? Sounds awesome!

8 Re: Serious carp fishing on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:44 am

volcomsurfrider

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:volcomsurfrider.. Do you have any of those photos that you can post here on this website?  Sounds awesome!

I do have photos Komori! They are all 4x6 prints from Walgreens. Digital camera's back then were outrageously expensive! I'll see if I can scan a few. Very Happy

9 Re: Serious carp fishing on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Misfitdog

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Carp fishing at Perris has been excellent lately for the few targeting them in the sailcove area , 1 guy reported 27 fish caught in 2 days

10 Re: Serious carp fishing on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:50 am

Hunt

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
When I am carp fishing and chumming with corn my fishing partner is standing nearby with his fly rod and his "corn flies".
Notice the chartreuse corn fly laying behind the pectoral.

Another nice fish.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

11 Re: Serious carp fishing on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:19 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Hunt… Nice pics! Do you have a better, closer photo of that "corn fly" pattern?

12 Re: Serious carp fishing on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:40 am

Litefoot

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
What kind of bait do you use to catch carp can't fish with corn in California??

13 Re: Serious carp fishing on Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:48 am

Hunt

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
I haven't tied any of the corn flies but I think it is just one or two small kernal size glowbugs on a hook in yellow or chartreuse.
We don't usually use anything fancy for bait or chum. No bollies or anything. Canned or frozen (thawed) corn or even peas work well. The problem with something popular and easy like corn is that later in the season the carp seem to get educated because so many use it. If you are a flyrodder, small crayfish or worm patterns can be useful if you can see where there are fish.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum