by GT Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Float fins

Float fins

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Float fins on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 am

Maybe I'm just a dummy, OK Frank, shut up!!! But, I don't really understand the scuba type flipper fins.

Do you and how do you propell yourself FORWARD?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm an old man, with a chiseled stone tube float.

2 Re: Float fins on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:49 am

jeffcpr

Admin
The scuba fin is a longer flipper style and because they are longer you don't have to kick as hard to get a lot of propulsion. Of course different strokes for different folks I have always used dive fins only because that is what I have. I am sure there is benefits in shorter fins and longer fins and maybe time when we should have both types. I think this is a lot to say on this subject lets see what everyone else has to say.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3 Re: Float fins on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:09 pm

So what?  You just like tuck them under your butt, and make crazy moves?

I mean, it's just natural that they should make you go backwards.

But the Fishmaster paddle pushers, are like a natural walking motion, and really allow PRECISE positioning.

4 Re: Float fins on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:28 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
Do you have those they are old right I have never tried them would be cool to give them a try some day. But to explain yes you simple go backwards.

5 Re: Float fins on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:30 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
No way look what I just found on Amazon.

6 Re: Float fins on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Yep...there ya go!!!!! I'm not even kidding, strap on a pair of those bad boys, and well, the tubing world as you know it will be changed forever.

It takes a bit more effort to fight the wind, but heck, if you're gonna be backing up anyway, just use your arms and backstroke! Thumbs Up

7 Re: Float fins on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:29 pm

jeffcpr

Admin
I wonder if this would work in the saltwater. The issue here is not wind it is in coming and out going tides. They can be very strong so much so that even the best fins and kicking style is not enough. Just wondering cool to know though that they do still make them.

8 Re: Float fins on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Yeah, I think if I was saltwater tubing, reguardless of the fins or flippers, I'd have another rod with a minature sand anchor, so if I couldn't pull myself back, I'd at least keep from being swept to some island with Bob Denver and Nathan Hale on it, little buddy.

I have seriously used slab spoons, intentionally snagged them on the bottom to pull myself back when the wind got up.

9 Re: Float fins on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Ornery Bob

It's hard to imagine that those paddle pushers could compete in the salt. Not only can the tides be an issue, but sometimes when crossing bays or channels, you need to be speedy or you get run down.

You have to consider the kinesiology of the kick. Kicking backwards, like with those pedal pushers, uses the relatively small hamstring muscles for power, while a forward kick, like with conventional fins, uses the large quadriceps muscles which can deliver a lot more power. I'm sure if you turned them around and kicked backwards with your thigh muscles, you'd feel the difference. They're also anchored up above your ankle, which essentially makes your legs shorter, thereby a shorter lever with less power.

As for kicking with regular fins, I use a stroke that is more like pedaling a bicycle than a swimming kick. To move forward, I have to lean forward a bit, point my fins down and then bicycle forwards. It's not a kick I use very often. For my power kick, I sit up straight or lean back a little and pedal backwards with the power on the up stroke.

It's rare in the salt that the water is not in motion, so it would be a bit of a Catch 22 with pusher fins. They aren't going to be very efficient pushing against the current, and if the current is already pushing you where you need to go, then you can pretty much just drift.

Edit: I just wanted to add that given tides, moving forward isn't something we need to do very often. The fish will be oriented facing into the tide, so drifting with the tide automatically gives us the proper direction of presentation. The times you really need your fins is kicking against the tide and that's where power reigns supreme.

10 Re: Float fins on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:47 pm

@Ornery Bob wrote:It's hard to imagine that those paddle pushers could compete in the salt. Not only can the tides be an issue, but sometimes when crossing bays or channels, you need to be speedy or you get run down.

You have to consider the kinesiology of the kick. Kicking backwards, like with those pedal pushers, uses the relatively small hamstring muscles for power, while a forward kick, like with conventional fins, uses the large quadriceps muscles which can deliver a lot more power. I'm sure if you turned them around and kicked backwards with your thigh muscles, you'd feel the difference. They're also anchored up above your ankle, which essentially makes your legs shorter, thereby a shorter lever with less power.

As for kicking with regular fins, I use a stroke that is more like pedaling a bicycle than a swimming kick. To move forward, I have to lean forward a bit, point my fins down and then bicycle forwards. It's not a kick I use very often. For my power kick, I sit up straight or lean back a little and pedal backwards with the power on the up stroke.

It's rare in the salt that the water is not in motion, so it would be a bit of a Catch 22 with pusher fins. They aren't going to be very efficient pushing against the current, and if the current is already pushing you where you need to go, then you can pretty much just drift.

Edit: I just wanted to add that given tides, moving forward isn't something we need to do very often. The fish will be oriented facing into the tide, so drifting with the tide automatically gives us the proper direction of presentation. The times you really need your fins is kicking against the tide and that's where power reigns supreme.

Well Bob, after having to abandon a trip today due to 15 mph winds, it's pretty hard to argue.

However, even in salt, the proper planning can make the paddle pushers a game changer. Unless California has different Oceans....OH WAIT! NEVER MIND! Than Texas, crap! ( I forgetted, you got that calm "Pacific"!!!! Rolling Eyes )

Yeah, I really can't compare my apples to your oranges, and, I'm a freshwater guy.

Meanwhile, my turtle wants some shrimp, my snake wants some rats, and I just wanna drink a beer and regroup!

11 Re: Float fins on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Ornery Bob

Poboy Floater wrote:However, even in salt, the proper planning can make the paddle pushers a game changer.

Planning? You're preaching to the choir. You're talking to a guy who checks tides4fishing.com, wunderground.com, windfinder.com and Google Earth before doing anything else.

Speaking of planning, I'm planning a trip for Saturday to a harbor and the tidal coefficient is going to be 98, which means, in freshwater terms, that the water level in my "lake" (which has a surface area of 260 acres) is going to drop by seven feet in six hours and all that water will be flowing through a channel that's only 100 yds wide. It will be more like fishing a river than a lake. So unless you want to get out of the water and hitchhike back to your car with your tube on your back, you need to seriously plan where you're going to be at what time or you're screwed, regardless of what fins you're wearing.

Come fish the salt; we don't fart around like you puddle jumpers. Razz And who knows, I'll take you to a place where a guy caught a 30 lb halibut last year from a float tube, using 8 lb test line on a trout rod. Could be your lucky day!

12 Re: Float fins on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:16 pm

@Ornery Bob wrote:
Poboy Floater wrote:However, even in salt, the proper planning can make the paddle pushers a game changer.

Planning? You're preaching to the choir. You're talking to a guy who checks tides4fishing.com, wunderground.com, windfinder.com and Google Earth before doing anything else.

Speaking of planning, I'm planning a trip for Saturday to a harbor and the tidal coefficient is going to be 98, which means, in freshwater terms, that the water level in my "lake" (which has a surface area of 260 acres) is going to drop by seven feet in six hours and all that water will be flowing through a channel that's only 100 yds wide. It will be more like fishing a river than a lake. So unless you want to get out of the water and hitchhike back to your car with your tube on your back, you need to seriously plan where you're going to be at what time or you're screwed, regardless of what fins you're wearing.

Come fish the salt; we don't fart around like you puddle jumpers. Razz And who knows, I'll take you to a place where a guy caught a 30 lb halibut last year from a float tube, using 8 lb test line on a trout rod. Could be your lucky day!

Yeah, what can I say?  I'm such a dummy I burned up a half tank of gas for nothing because I didn't properly guage the WIND!!!!

Naw, you guys have my admiration for even getting in the water in a tube. You got them toothy critters called sharks.

A few years back, I'd probably ignore the conditions and press on, but I'm a little bit more fragile than I used to be. Between that friggin Cancer and then spending almost all year sick last year with a lung infection ( which I still have)...AND turning 60...it's a teeny bit harder to do things these days. But hey!!! Why complain?  Any day breathing is a good day, a good day fishing is just a bonus.

But, it's coming...I just haven't been out for a few years, so, it'll take a trip or two to get the pieces in place.

BTW: If the wind wasn't enough, when I got in the water, walking out to the trees, 10' from shore, I stepped off a 4' drop off! Knocked a flipper off, and wasn't too family jewel friendly either. Went from mid shin deep to not touching bottom.

BTW: That picture is deceiving, that water is much rougher than it looks, it was actually whitecapping out there by the trees." />

That's the little "pond" I was jumping, but fair enough...it's not an ocean.

Last edited by Poboy Floater on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

13 Re: Float fins on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Ornery Bob

Hell, with 15mph wind, I would have looked out the car window at the water, caught a couple of imaginary fish, dodged an imaginary shark, and then stopped for a fresh, warm doughnut on the way home.

14 Re: Float fins on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:12 pm

@Ornery Bob wrote:Hell, with 15mph wind, I would have looked out the car window at the water, caught a couple of imaginary fish, dodged an imaginary shark, and then stopped for a fresh, warm doughnut on the way home.

I settled for a pint of bourbon. It was a cold front blowing in. You know, if you follow golf, the annoncers will always talk about Texas golfers and being able to play in the wind. It's just something we have to deal with. Its not windy in summer tho, just 100+°!!!

Oh well, how can we complain? We've had like 3" of snow here in the last 100 years...( a little bit of exaggeration, but not by much).

I'm sure the guys up north would like to trade the 70 and 80° highs that we get for a little more wind. Yep, supposed to hit 80° in the next few days.

EDIT: That cold front knocked down the temperature, it's oly 60° right now at 1:16 am... ( can't you just hear those Yankees saying: " Screw you bastigens!" Razz )

Predicted high for Saturday: 85° f.

15 Re: Float fins on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:03 am

Well that cold front did it's number. It's 35°f right now. The good news is the wind is down, only gonna blow about 7mph with 15 mph gusts. Bad news is, it's cold, and that wind is out of the east. What's that saying about wind from the east? And fishing after a cold front?

16 Re: Float fins on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:55 am

Jerdon

That little spot behind your tube looks pretty good.
There must me a few fish hiding in there.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

17 Re: Float fins on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:26 am

@Jerdon wrote:That little spot behind your tube looks pretty good.
There must me a few fish hiding in there.

Yeah, I've pulled a few hundred pounds of crappie out of there. What I can't understand is why the big bass aren't all over it. Maybe too much pressure, IDK.

Think I'll just hit the bridge, if I even go.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum