Donate to the FTFF
Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » Heart stopping!

Heart stopping!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Heart stopping! Empty Heart stopping! on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Fishing today , I was under a dock, and a snake went hopping / slithering down in the water right in front of me!

At first....my heart stopped....then I recuperated, and went back to fishing. Now, as a child, I was DEATHLY AFRAID OF SNAKES!!!!

I got a little more educated, and now have them as pets.

But, even now, I can step past a rope and have my heart stop.

I could make this way more detailed, but for right now, I'll just say give the snakes a break....they're not stalking you, and they are BENEFICIAL animals!!!!

2Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Hahaha, snakes will scare me too.
Last summer I was out by the dam at Perris with Misfitdog. I saw a small fish or something swimming up to his tube, it was leaving that wiggly wake snakes leave. This thing was up against the side of his tube bumping it it looked like to me. I yell to him to check it out and it was a little snake! Misfit leaned over, looked at it, and just flicked it away with his rod tip like it was an everyday thing. He yells back, "it was little snake" which became pretty obvious to me by now. It didn't seem to "rattle" him at all. 
I might have screamed a little if it was me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Yeah, they only scare me for a second....UNLESS THEY ARE VENOMOUS!

Oscar is my 5' Texas ratsnake. She is a party animal and loves to socialize. She has been handled by 100's of people.

She is just one of many snakes I have owned over the years. (I've had her about 15 years now.)

About now, you are wondering why a female snake is named Oscar.

Well, by nature, Texas ratsnakes are some of the meanest non-VENOMOUS snakes there are. Sooo..early on...I named it Oscar...because as Steve Irwin would say ....he was "Grumpy".

Well, also, the only way to sex them is to probe their anus, and I wouldn't know the difference anyway. So ....about 8 years later, Oscar laid a bunch of eggs.

A funny aside: " Somebody asked me about hatching them! I said mom and dad must not have told you about the birds amf the bees, because Oscar is single!"

Anyway, I didn't see any reason to change the name, and snakes are deaf anyway.

BTW: If you want to see her and that big long hair PITA cat of mine. 'Sammy ....meet Oscar' on YouTube.

Even wilder...( although a crappy video).. Is 'Grumpy Felix'.

I hadn't had Felix a week or two before that video, and I was just amazed at how calm he really was. He short struck at my nose, and did bite me on the side of the head a week earlier, but that's amazing for a full grown wild Texas ratsnake.

I've caught babies that have bitten me a dozen times in one sitting.

4Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:13 am

Mscustomflies

Mscustomflies
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I nearly stepped on a grass snake last year fishing from the bank, made me jump a little, they can bloody shift too

5Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 am

@Mscustomflies wrote:I nearly stepped on a grass snake last year fishing from the bank, made me jump a little, they can bloody shift too

There's no such thing as a grass snake.

6Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:51 am

Mscustomflies

Mscustomflies
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
There is in the UK, we only really have 2 snake species the non venomous grass snake which excretes a strong garlic type smell to deter predators and the very venomous adder.
We also get slow worms and the odd lizard although I'm yet to see an adder, lizard or slow worm.

Not sure if you guys get slow worms or not? They look snake like but are actually a legless lizard

7Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:17 am

@Mscustomflies wrote:There is in the UK, we only really have 2 snake species the non venomous grass snake which excretes a strong garlic type smell to deter predators and the very venomous adder.
We also get slow worms and the odd lizard although I'm yet to see an adder, lizard or slow worm.

Not sure if you guys get slow worms or not? They look snake like but are actually a legless lizard

Sir...I sincerely apologize. Here in Texas, everybody calls rough earth snakes grass snakes.

We do have leggless lizards, but they are very rare. It looks like I could make a pet out of a grass snake, as they look like they are in the corn snake family.

8Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Misfitdog

Misfitdog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Hahaha, snakes will scare me too.
Last summer I was out by the dam at Perris with Misfitdog. I saw a small fish or something swimming up to his tube, it was leaving that wiggly wake snakes leave. This thing was up against the side of his tube bumping it it looked like to me. I yell to him to check it out and it was a little snake! Misfit leaned over, looked at it, and just flicked it away with his rod tip like it was an everyday thing. He yells back, "it was little snake" which became pretty obvious to me by now. It didn't seem to "rattle" him at all. 
I might have screamed a little if it was me.

That was a fun day , I saw right away it was harmless and since i have snakes as pet it was no biggy Smile I was watching for a bass to crush it along the rocks on its way in though , that would have been cool Twisted Evil

9Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob
I kept snakes as pets in my teen years but haven't had any for ages. I had a particularly nice rosy boa with beautiful pink markings, but after 10 years, she passed away and that was the end of my snake keeping.

There are slender green snakes often sold in the USA as "grass snakes" but they are really Smooth Green Snakes (Opheodrys vernalis) and only very distantly related to the Grass Snakes (Natrix natrix) found in the UK.

It looks like I could make a pet out of a grass snake, as they look like they are in the corn snake family.

I'd say that's a fair assumption. 85% of all snakes are in the same family (Colubridae) as corn snakes and while it's true that very few are venomous, there are notable exceptions, the deadly Boomslang among them. I wouldn't try making friends with one of them affraid

I used to have many books on snakes and I remember in one of them, the author was speaking about people's fear of snakes and he felt the fear was justified due to the fact that some snakes are capable of causing "a rapid and dramatic death."

It's the dramatic part that worries everyone...

10Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Bob, are you saying you AGREE with me?

11Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob
Yeah, Colubrids are generally Ok as pets.

Snakes, like all animals, are individuals and some tolerate captivity better than others, and while I've owned snakes that would calmly curl up in my lap and go to sleep, I've never felt any sort of real connection.

I always felt like my snakes were wild animals who had learned to tolerate me. I never saw them as "tame."

People would always ask, "Do you ever get bit?" and I was always truthful. "Of course I get bit, but only because I sometimes need to handle a snake who is telling me with his body language that he doesn't feel like being messed with." A captive snake doesn't bite you by mistake unless you're in the process of feeding. Mostly they just zap you to make you go away and then they back right off.

What people don't realize about defensive bites is that they're very gentle in terms of chomping power. It just feels like a quick tap, and then you look down and see two rows of bleeding needle marks.

12Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:13 pm

@Ornery Bob wrote:Yeah, Colubrids are generally Ok as pets.

Snakes, like all animals, are individuals and some tolerate captivity better than others, and while I've owned snakes that would calmly curl up in my lap and go to sleep, I've never felt any sort of real connection.

I always felt like my snakes were wild animals who had learned to tolerate me. I never saw them as "tame."

People would always ask, "Do you ever get bit?" and I was always truthful. "Of course I get bit, but only because I sometimes need to handle a snake who is telling me with his body language that he doesn't feel like being messed with." A captive snake doesn't bite you by mistake unless you're in the process of feeding. Mostly they just zap you to make you go away and then they back right off.

What people don't realize about defensive bites is that they're very gentle in terms of chomping power. It just feels like a quick tap, and then you look down and see two rows of bleeding needle marks.

Nope...not really, Oscar just bit me. I don't know why. I was just reaching in to take her out... But for some reason she was grumpy, ( or maybe hungry....and trying to give me a clue!)

This is the second time Oscar has bitten me and it was just a message.She didn't even break the skin, which she didn't last time either.

I was either tying her in knots, or doing something she REALLY didn't like... and she reached over and gave me a little nip. BTW; personal best: 3 knots!!! She hated every minute of it!!!

Anyway, point is...she is a sweetheart, you can push almost any animal to violence. I teased her so much because I also took her to a lot of parties, and let bunches of folks handle her. I wanted to make sure she wasn't going to freak.

((She never did.)

Oh...I forgot to add....the time she REALLY BIT ME! Yeah, feeding time, misidentification.....nope...not just a quick smack....I had to pry her off.

13Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:04 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob
Never got bit by a corn snake. Boas aren't as shy about biting and you definitely bleed. Never owned one but I heard Reticulated Pythons are very snappy.

14Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 am

@Ornery Bob wrote:Never got bit by a corn snake. Boas aren't as shy about biting and you definitely bleed. Never owned one but I heard Reticulated Pythons are very snappy.

Even though they are in the same family, corn snakes and rat snakes are different.

And if a wild Texas ratsnake bites you....you WILL BLEED!

Take your hand and try to pinch the side of yout head.

If a snake can make you bleed there, I think it could hurt you ANYWHERE ELSE!

15Heart stopping! Empty Re: Heart stopping! on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 am

BTW: I've already posted where to find me handling Oscar and Felix....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum