by GT Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » The Bluegills of Silverwood?

The Bluegills of Silverwood?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Bluegills of Silverwood? on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
So I saw a report and photo today on "Fishbrain" of a very nice catch of large Bluegills caught at Lake Silverwood. I've never heard about much of a substantial Bluegill fishery there at this lake.  To me and I'm sure other fishermen, large Bluegill are such strong fighters and really a lot of fun to catch with our ultralight 2 lb test outfits and hand-tyed jigs. Not only are they a blast to catch, but they are one of the best tasting freshwater fish too.
Does anyone know much about the Bluegill fishing at Silverwood, like where to fish, etc.? I have not done much fishing at this lake, so I don't really know that much about it. Is float tubing allowed there?

2 Re: The Bluegills of Silverwood? on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 am

jeffcpr

Admin
I know you can tube there but have never done it myself. Maybe Litefoot will chime in as he fishes there often

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3 Re: The Bluegills of Silverwood? on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:27 am

Ornery Bob

I called the marina... "Hi, I know you guys are known for bass and trout, but I heard there is a bluegill bite going on, do you know where on the lake that might be happening?"

"This is the first I've heard of it, so I couldn't say, but we do have bluegill."

4 Re: The Bluegills of Silverwood? on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Misfitdog

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Hmm  I know from the few people that have tubed here they now use a kayak as the wind comes up in a hurry here and it becomes hard to fish from small craft here. What I do know is they fish out side of Cleghorn Canyon , but they mainly target Stripers and Trout  so no real news on the Panfish bite ...  

1 thing I have heard is people should be aware of health advisories for the consumption of fish from this lake because of high PCB and mercury levels in the fish flesh and skin and I know bluegill taste amazing but i would not risk it   ... here is a link to the safe eating guidelines  for silverwood

5 Re: The Bluegills of Silverwood? on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Well I did find out some info about the Bluegills in Silverwood. Enough for me to know where to go to try and catch a few. There's not a lot of 'Gills there, because of the voracious Striped Bass, but the ones found there are good sized. I also wondered about why this lake has a problem with the level of mercury found in the predatory fish there. A fisherman that I met today at Fairmount Park in Riverside, (Keith) told me that the rocks used in the construction of the dam at Lake Silverwood in 1971 were loaded with mercury.. That's what he had heard… Huh..

6 Re: The Bluegills of Silverwood? on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Litefoot

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Silverwood a great place to tube Intel the wind picks up. When it's windy you Drive in to the back of Black oak day use area and walk behind the pump station and Fish the SE corner of the Lake. They don't let anything with a motor in there that's where the Bass Beds are you still deal with the carp. The Mercury is in everything but the Trout they Stock the Trout. If you like to Fish start early you can catch pretty much anything its a Big Lake you need a Boat to put your tubs in and go fish the Lake park the Boat on the Shore there are places back there that are Great. Out House cove Trout every where there are so many Points out there solid Rock walls it's all there But the SE corner is Still THERE. it's a long ride and a long Day on the Lake. PS the water is safe for swimming I Hope this Helps the only problem with this it's no going to help giving away my Spots Rambo

7 Re: The Bluegills of Silverwood? on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Basically the Large Bluegill people catch are from various spots and one of them is fishing from the Marina dock.  There's a bunch of "resident" Bluegill and crappie that apparently live right under the dock.  There's shade and deep water nearby, plus bits of food and leftover bait from the rental boats being cleaned out.  I was told that if you get down and look under the docks, you can see large crappie and Bluegill just hanging out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum