FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Primal Urge

+2
jeffcpr
Ornery Bob
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Primal Urge Empty The Primal Urge Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Last weekend I hooked and fought for a time the largest fish I've ever had on the end of a line. The specifics of the deal don't really matter because what struck me the most about the encounter was my reaction to it. I involuntarily let out a shout! 

It was a hard-core rush; pure adrenalin. It was raw, deep, and primal. Here I am, with my carbon fiber rod and high tech gear, and yet for those moments, I was a caveman, struggling to feed my tribe.

It was really fun. It was the fun of fishing at it's core. And the crazy thing is that I didn't have to land the fish or even see it to have this reaction.

Fishing rocks.

2The Primal Urge Empty Re: The Primal Urge Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have had those moments just knowing the fish is huge gets your blood pumping and the excitment is amazing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3The Primal Urge Empty Re: The Primal Urge Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

"Fought for a time"… So you didn't land that whopper..Did you at least see it? What was it? I hate it when you hook into a huge feeling fish and then it gets off and you never see it! Especially if you are bass fishing. With me, I lose so many bass with the first head shake! At least I get to see how big they are… or should I say "were".

4The Primal Urge Empty Re: The Primal Urge Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Didn't see it... it made a couple of runs and I was gaining line back and it felt like it was getting close to coming up and then it took a power dive, headed out through some kelp, and line was zipping off my reel like crazy. I was just holding on for dear life. He got about half my reel and then the line started shaking and then he broke off. I was using 6 lb Stren.

But you know, what really amazed me was how elated I felt... and I didn't even close the deal! 

Just being in that struggle was thrilling on it's own and that's when I realized the struggle triggers something in me that's working at the deepest level. I realized that fishing isn't just a recreational activity for me, it's a gut experience. And I'm into that sort of thing... I love stuff that forces you to be consumed by the moment. 

This was the second time I've been into a serious fish in the same general area, so I know they're out there. (just outside the surf at Los Alamitos Beach) Next time I'm taking 30 lb braid with no leader. There's some big halibut out there and one of these days...

5The Primal Urge Empty Re: The Primal Urge Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well the first thought was Bat Ray, then Leopard Shark, then White Seabass (big ones do frequent the surf once in a while), then big halibut, then a salmon or even a stray Steelhead.. Maybe a huge Guitarfish.. Who knows? Sometimes an experienced angler can kind of tell by the way it feels and the way it runs out the drag. I can usually tell a big bass from a catfish or carp, and I can tell a big Bluegill from a big Redear, and I know how a large crappie feels. But I'm an ultralight, freshwater float tuber, not a saltwater float tuber. Who knows what it was. But that's part of the fun of fishing!

6The Primal Urge Empty Re: The Primal Urge Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

The tug is the Drug brother.
Those fish telegraph there feeling about the situation right through the line.

7The Primal Urge Empty Re: The Primal Urge Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 pm

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I agree that is the rush we all live for in fishing! Even better when we land it but the fight is always enjoyable

8The Primal Urge Empty Re: The Primal Urge Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Ornery Bob wrote:Last weekend I hooked and fought for a time the largest fish I've ever had on the end of a line. The specifics of the deal don't really matter because what struck me the most about the encounter was my reaction to it. I involuntarily let out a shout! 

It was a hard-core rush; pure adrenalin. It was raw, deep, and primal. Here I am, with my carbon fiber rod and high tech gear, and yet for those moments, I was a caveman, struggling to feed my tribe.

It was really fun. It was the fun of fishing at it's core. And the crazy thing is that I didn't have to land the fish or even see it to have this reaction.

Fishing rocks.
Lol your intro rocks brotha!
To sum it all up in one sentence....
The tug is the drug! Lol awesome

9The Primal Urge Empty Re: The Primal Urge Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I noticed this a couple of times recently while bass fishing at my local park. I hooked into a bass with my "big bass bait". (Smaller bass don't usually take this lure.) Now the first few seconds the fish felt like one of AT LEAST 5 pounds! Really heavy and strong! Then it comes up and jumps and it turns into a much smaller 2 pound, 14 inch fish! Then another head shake and out flies the hook! This has happened a couple of times while using a very stout spinning rod and 10 lb test line. I'm not saying your fish was not a really large fish, but sometimes fish, especially bass, can really fool you. Your fish was on it's way to spool you so we know it was something big and powerful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum