by GT Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » Float Tubes, Pontoons and Related Equipment Discussions » Fishing Related Discussions » The Primal Urge

The Primal Urge

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Primal Urge on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 am

Ornery Bob

Last weekend I hooked and fought for a time the largest fish I've ever had on the end of a line. The specifics of the deal don't really matter because what struck me the most about the encounter was my reaction to it. I involuntarily let out a shout! 

It was a hard-core rush; pure adrenalin. It was raw, deep, and primal. Here I am, with my carbon fiber rod and high tech gear, and yet for those moments, I was a caveman, struggling to feed my tribe.

It was really fun. It was the fun of fishing at it's core. And the crazy thing is that I didn't have to land the fish or even see it to have this reaction.

Fishing rocks.

2 Re: The Primal Urge on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am

jeffcpr

Admin
I have had those moments just knowing the fish is huge gets your blood pumping and the excitment is amazing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3 Re: The Primal Urge on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
"Fought for a time"… So you didn't land that whopper..Did you at least see it? What was it? I hate it when you hook into a huge feeling fish and then it gets off and you never see it! Especially if you are bass fishing. With me, I lose so many bass with the first head shake! At least I get to see how big they are… or should I say "were".

4 Re: The Primal Urge on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Ornery Bob

Didn't see it... it made a couple of runs and I was gaining line back and it felt like it was getting close to coming up and then it took a power dive, headed out through some kelp, and line was zipping off my reel like crazy. I was just holding on for dear life. He got about half my reel and then the line started shaking and then he broke off. I was using 6 lb Stren.

But you know, what really amazed me was how elated I felt... and I didn't even close the deal! 

Just being in that struggle was thrilling on it's own and that's when I realized the struggle triggers something in me that's working at the deepest level. I realized that fishing isn't just a recreational activity for me, it's a gut experience. And I'm into that sort of thing... I love stuff that forces you to be consumed by the moment. 

This was the second time I've been into a serious fish in the same general area, so I know they're out there. (just outside the surf at Los Alamitos Beach) Next time I'm taking 30 lb braid with no leader. There's some big halibut out there and one of these days...

5 Re: The Primal Urge on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Well the first thought was Bat Ray, then Leopard Shark, then White Seabass (big ones do frequent the surf once in a while), then big halibut, then a salmon or even a stray Steelhead.. Maybe a huge Guitarfish.. Who knows? Sometimes an experienced angler can kind of tell by the way it feels and the way it runs out the drag. I can usually tell a big bass from a catfish or carp, and I can tell a big Bluegill from a big Redear, and I know how a large crappie feels. But I'm an ultralight, freshwater float tuber, not a saltwater float tuber. Who knows what it was. But that's part of the fun of fishing!

6 Re: The Primal Urge on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Jerdon

The tug is the Drug brother.
Those fish telegraph there feeling about the situation right through the line.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

7 Re: The Primal Urge on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 pm

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
I agree that is the rush we all live for in fishing! Even better when we land it but the fight is always enjoyable

8 Re: The Primal Urge on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Misfit_Angler138

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Last weekend I hooked and fought for a time the largest fish I've ever had on the end of a line. The specifics of the deal don't really matter because what struck me the most about the encounter was my reaction to it. I involuntarily let out a shout! 

It was a hard-core rush; pure adrenalin. It was raw, deep, and primal. Here I am, with my carbon fiber rod and high tech gear, and yet for those moments, I was a caveman, struggling to feed my tribe.

It was really fun. It was the fun of fishing at it's core. And the crazy thing is that I didn't have to land the fish or even see it to have this reaction.

Fishing rocks.
Lol your intro rocks brotha!
To sum it all up in one sentence....
The tug is the drug! Lol awesome

9 Re: The Primal Urge on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Komori

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
I noticed this a couple of times recently while bass fishing at my local park. I hooked into a bass with my "big bass bait". (Smaller bass don't usually take this lure.) Now the first few seconds the fish felt like one of AT LEAST 5 pounds! Really heavy and strong! Then it comes up and jumps and it turns into a much smaller 2 pound, 14 inch fish! Then another head shake and out flies the hook! This has happened a couple of times while using a very stout spinning rod and 10 lb test line. I'm not saying your fish was not a really large fish, but sometimes fish, especially bass, can really fool you. Your fish was on it's way to spool you so we know it was something big and powerful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum