FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mandatory catch and keep!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mandatory catch and keep! Empty Mandatory catch and keep! Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

A few of our So Cal private pay to fish lakes insist that if you catch a catfish by mistake while fishing for bass, you have to keep that catfish as part of your catfish limit. The bass are strictly catch and release which is fine. Some places also insist on you keeping any Bluegill you may catch. I don't want any catfish or little panfish to bring home. I spent good money to just have fun and try to catch a bass or two. If a Channel Catfish grabs my barbless spinnerbait or any other lure meant for bass (which they will do once in a while..they are predators after all), what I usually do is get down and carefully unhook it and let it swim away saying loudly "Dammit!", or let it slip out of my hand while "putting it on a stringer". Giving them away is another option, but they might not like that either. I guess I understand the problem of a catfish hooked deep in the throat or gills and bleeding badly, obviously a good chance of it dying after being released. I know these fish are costly to stock, but if you can wet your hands first and safely unhook it and let it go, shouldn't you?
Any one else have this problem?

2Mandatory catch and keep! Empty Re: Mandatory catch and keep! Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:43 am

Misfitdog

Misfitdog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Its not really the fact of the fish hooking its self deep or people not knowing the proper CPR techniques. A lot of these pay lakes have the rules in place to help with fish management especially the smaller lakes / ponds .. A lake stocked with panfish or catfish can quickly get out of hand due to the reproduction of the fish species and them out competing with the younger bass for food and thus causing stunted growths in fish and or death .. especially Bluegills they are vicious feeders and breeders .. so having small lake management is critical for these waters trying to grow a larger class of game fish .

So I guess i have no problem with these rules as they are helping the water in general to grow more Trophy fish , so that is a +++++

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum