FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in An idea worth looking into
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Anyone Else Having this issue?

+5
Ornery Bob
jeffcpr
GT
Jerdon
SP Dan
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Mon May 01, 2017 11:28 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My stitching is failing. Is there anyone else out there having this same issue?
Ive only owned this tube since 12-2-2016 and I've used it for only 38 fishing sessions so far.
I'm quite disappointed in the quality of the Cumberland construction ... to say the least.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

2Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Tue May 02, 2017 12:02 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Yes, I had that exact issue.
I dragged my tube along the ground (asphalt)  when carrying it a few times. From your pics it looks like you did too. 

At any rate Cover Bonanza sent me out a replacement  almost immediately. Excellent customer service.  I called up customer service,emailed the pics and in a week I had a new tube at my front door.

FYI
I was able to hand sew the old one back up and still use it to this day. This was back in 2014.

Last edited by Jerdon on Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell check)

3Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Tue May 02, 2017 8:01 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I had my cumbie for 3 years with no problems.......my biggest concern with any tube is over inflation, stretching of the fabric, cutting into the threads. I also made it a point to always hose of my tube after each trip. Chemicals in the water plus dirt will deteriorate materials over a period of time. Or maybe u just have a bad unit.......either way, Classic Accessories stand behind thier products.........GT

4Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Tue May 02, 2017 2:01 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thanx for the feed back guys! Thumbs Up

I'm currently working with Classic Accessories on the warranty.
I've already started the process.

Thanx again

5Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Tue May 02, 2017 4:45 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have not had this issue yet but i agree watch the seems when you inflate your tubes. Plus cleaning the tube after a saltwatee trip is very important in my opinion. Just my 2 cents

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Tue May 02, 2017 5:59 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I agree with you all of you.

I have always immediately taken care of all my gear before I would even take care of myself.
And I always remove the salt-off everything every time. I even take my spools apart and remove the salt from my lines and I wipe my rods down with WD-40 and the eye-lets as well.

I use a sponge with a non-scratch pad and luke-warm water with a few drops of dish soap.
I will normally set my tube on top of two towels; one under each tube end, while the fresh water is draining out of the float tube skin. I even go as far as using a towel to help dry it, to remove the water faster and stop it from spotting up.
Once the water has stopped draining off, I will deflate it by half the psi before stowing it away on two dry towels for padding.
Oh .... and chap stick on the zippers as needed.

I take good care of my property ... it's just some of the places that I fish ... I can't be perfect every time and the stitches do at times make contact with different rough surfaces. That's just fishing and life!

Believe me when I tell you that my tubes get a lot of use.
I fish every weekend ... both Sat and Sundays. I have fished in this tube 35 sessions so far ... just this year alone.

On my last fishing session to HH, I had Jeff check my tube inflation psi in order to make certain that I wasn't over inflating.
I also had my good ol' fish'n buddy singletrack check my psi once, and he thought that I may have been a bit low on my psi. So I am being very conscious of the inflation psi.

So for now ... I'm working with Classic Accessories on the warranty and a possible FT replacement.

Well see.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts on this issue.  It really helps! Thumbs Up  

SP Dan     <"))><

7Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Tue May 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I hope they take care of this for you! They really should try to recruit you for pro staff.

Ultimately I see this as a design flaw as opposed to poor workmanship. It's the fact that these seams are single stitched and they really should be double stitched like the long seam along the side. And if you're going to single stitch a pressure holding seam, at least make the stitches close together!

It may not be a workmanship flaw, but it's definitely a warranty failure, in my opinion. Normal use with better than average care. This is on them.

8Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Wed May 03, 2017 1:56 pm

singletrack

singletrack
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I had that issue. Got it warrantied no problem. To pictures and sent them to classic accessories.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPxZQaZknKgs79MOETz5frQ

9Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I sent my warranty claim with pis'c of the damage; and of the tag from inside the zippered pouch, yesterday after 4:00 PM. They were closed when I submitted it last night.

I phoned Classic Accessories this afternoon and they said that they received the claim and that it was submitted complete and that it was also presently being processed and I should receive my new replacement green float tube within 7 - 10 days.

I also took the opportunity to discuss the stitch issue with Classic Accessories and they said that they would be taking this concern to their supervisor. I expressed to them that this is a very common issue with many of the members in FTFF.

Classic Accessories Rocks and is a wonderful sponsor! They back their products 100%!

Thank you everyone for all your positive thoughts and input. You guys are the best!  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

10Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Wed May 03, 2017 3:11 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is great yo hear Dan i will be sure to pass this on to my contact at Classic Accessories. Always good to know that people are doing there job well, and backing there products.

11Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

On this subject. I have always felt the Cumberland is by far the best value in tubes. The FishCats look to be a higher quality, but the the price is nearly double. If Cumberland were to incorporate PVC into that front section it would be indestructible.

12Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Wed May 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Mscustomflies

Mscustomflies
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

There's a lot of pressure on the stitches with it being flat fronted, I'd hazard a guess the pointed style ones would spread the pressure from the bladder over a greater area. It's good to know that CA are sorting you out.

Vision have rebranded the Cumberland in Europe and stuck a hefty price hike on top

13Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

The Fish Cat 4 is about $60 more than the Cumberland on Amazon these days, and a much more fair comparison than, say, the Super Fat Cat which isn't quite double the Cumberland, but in that ballpark.

I think the main difference with the cone shaped ends is that you can make a cone with a single straight seam, whereas the hemisphere requires more complicated geometry. I agree completely that this whole issue could probably be avoided if they would wrap their vinyl bottom coating over the ends. It would be a much more robust design, but I have no idea if it would be a significant increase in production costs.

I believe Dan has a Fish Cat and I would be very interested to hear what he has to say about their differences.

14Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I've already did a comparison write-up a little bit ago, per the suggestion from Jerdon.
It's there some where. lol

Find it and check it out when you have the time.

SP Dan <"))><

15Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Thu May 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I found[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but you declined; is there another somewhere? I'll keep looking if there is.

I did find, however, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - a picture of what must have been an older design for the Cumberland with a completely different design for the tube end closure stitching. To me, it looks more robust. Curious...

16Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Jerdon had mentioned; in his response, that he had sewn his tube back together ... well I'm not lazy nor am I good at sewing,
I'd rather have a professional seamstress machine-sew my FT back together.
I'm certain that they know what they are doing better than I would.

Thank you once again Jerdon for sharing your idea of sewing it back together. Just simply brilliant!

So yesterday at 4:00 PM, I dropped off my FT at my local dry cleaners in San Pedro where they do alterations as well dry cleaning.
I had negotiated their price down from $70 to $50. Down to just the a mere tank of gasoline.
They did a nice, clean, tight double-stitch on the inside seams all-around the 6" and 10" circled cloth hemispherical seams, on both of the baffle's ends.

Today I actually picked up my repaired FT at 4:00 PM. WOW! A mere 24-hrs.

Here's the end (Ha ha ha! Pun intended! Very Happy ) results: So ... here's the reassembled after pic's,

And a pic of how I store my partially deflated float tubes, always on cloth towels and away from the sun light. I can easily push the skin in 3".
I also regularly check the air pressure daily and bleed the psi down if needed.

I even went as far as to remove the Styrofoam seat and back rest from their pockets and cleaned in there as well.
I was really surprised of the amount of sandy, gritty stuff that collected up in there. I also discovered that the Styrofoam seat
remains constantly wet and it builds up a greenish tinge that is slightly smelly.
So I also cleaned the inside of the seat pocket and the Styrofoam seat cushion as well. YUCK!!   alien  What is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I"m expecting my FT from CA next week. WTG CA! Thumbs Up
I received an email from CA just now notifying me that my package has been shipped. WaaHoo!!!!

SP Dan     <"))><

17Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Fri May 05, 2017 1:17 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I spoke with CA this morning in my attempt to better understand their warranty policy.

It was explained .... the warranty is good for 1-year from the original date of purchase.

If their product were to fail for any of a long list of accepted reasons, CA will back their product 100%.
There response time for responding to a warranty claim is lightening fast!

Once the new replacement tube arrives, you should register it.
The new replacement float tube is covered "ONLY" under the original warranty and falls under that same 1-year period from the date of purchase.

For example: I purchase a FT on 1-1-2017, the warranty period is valid for one year, until Dec 31,2017. Let's say that by June 1, 2017 the stitching fails on your FT.
You send in your warranty claim, they process your claim and they send you a new replacement FT. You now have 6-months of warranty remaining on your new replacement FT.

The warranty period on the replacement tube still falls under the original period from 1-1-2017 until Dec 31,2017.

If the new replacement tube stitching fails .... under the original warranty period, it is still covered under the warranty, no matter how may float tubes they replace for you in that 1-year warranty period.
If the new replacement tube stitching fails 1-1-2018 .... the original 1-year warranty period will have expired.

Once expired ... then it's either time for you to repair your old float tube or spoil yourself and purchase a brand new FT from CB and start your warranty period all over again. Thumbs Up

That's it folk's! I hope that this information will be useful to someone out there.

SP Dan     <"))><

18Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Fri May 05, 2017 1:25 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Wow that is some nice work they did on the stitching, and thanks for the report on the warranty. I have always enjoyed working with CA on the forum here, my contact is always quick and helpful. This goes to show you a great they are worthy company to be part of our forum. And they have been with us for pretty the beginning. Thanks again SP Dan for all the info great to hear it all.

19Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Sun May 07, 2017 5:57 pm

joshyouwa.r

joshyouwa.r
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I agree they are quick with the warranty but did not help me at all with my zipper problems. Simply put I've had my tube more than a year and there is nothing they will do for me. But as to your post I have the same problem in the front of mine. Then again I've beat mine pretty hard for over two years now and it still puts me on the fish. I might look into another one at some point but I will probably just buy a fish cat off craigslist as they seem to be 150 ish on there.

20Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Mon May 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

My Fish Cat is very hardy but it sure could use more storage.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

21Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Empty Re: Is Anyone Else Having this issue? Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Well here it is .... exactly eight days from the day that I submitted my claim to Classic Accessories.
CA and CB are awesome sponsors the way they back there products 100%! Thank you!  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum