FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by Troutbum Today at 9:47 am

» The answer
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:07 pm

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

» Landing nets I am looking at
by SP Dan Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:24 pm

» I tried fishing during the actual eclipse
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» Here BIG kitty kitty
by SP Dan Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:59 pm

» Murray report 3/28
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

» Puddingstone gathering is in the books
by david886720 Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:42 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray 3/20
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Little bit of info fishing sandy flats.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Little bit of info fishing sandy flats. Empty Little bit of info fishing sandy flats. Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:59 am

Fishbones805

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Fishing sandy flats.

Fishing sandy flats differs from structure fishing in a few key ways. You can get away with lighter rigs because you won’t have to muscle a fish around/out of heavy cover. Current tends not to be as big of a deal as well. While tide and water movement factor in any saltwater situation, without structure to funnel the current, it matters less. Conversely, smaller bits of cover and more subtle bottom variations can mean a lot more than they would in more variable terrain. (I have no idea why fish hold over my normal sweet spot, but I kick straight there, have been for almost 20 years, and I always get hit there). Having a rod holder for trolling on each side of the tube is handy.
Lures are pretty standard, small grubs work great, swimbaits as well, color, action and reaction all vary. Carolina rigs work well also. I’ve generally had best luck with lures in the 2”-3” range. Colors vary like anywhere else.
The only real feature is the bottom, so you want to relate to the bottom at all times. Not necessarily touching it, but knowing where it is in relation to your presentation. With the grubs, I just drag them across the bottom. With a swimbait, I can’t usually kick fast enough for good tail movement, depending on the bait, so I’ll kick while lowering the rod tip, then lift the rod tip and bring the swimbait towards me a little faster than I’m kicking.
Most/all of what you are fishing for (barred sandbass, spotted bay bass, halibut) will be right off/on the bottom, bringing your bait higher into the water column risks more incidental catches such as pacmack and croaker.
Down on the bottom, other incidental catches (that I’ve personally seen) are leopard shark, angel shark, bat ray, midshipmen and calico.
Mentally the way to look at it is that you are fishing depth, not structure. My standard pattern is to toss my baits up onto the beach as I launch, parallel the beach at the earliest possibility, then begin zigzagging further from and closer to shore until I start getting hit.
If you are in an unfamiliar spot or conditions, be prepared for a looooong kick, and even after a loooong kick, you may not find them. Once you do, make sure to mark the spot, good luck. Should you run into structure of any sort (you’ll know when you get stuck on it) definitely work around that, especially the lee side in current or sunlight.
All that being said, your mileage may vary. My experience is centered on Santa Barbara/Goleta and Junipero. I use exclusively plastics, specifically baits I design and pour. You may have different experiences, catch different fish, use different lures and techniques. I’ve heard good things about deep diving hard baits usually reserved for LMB. Spinnerbaits are supposed to be pretty decent given the right conditions.
Don’t discount a possible spot because it doesn’t have structure, give it a shot, just treat it differently.

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks For the info very good to no salute

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for these tips

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thanx Fishbones805,
You have shared a lot of really good hands-on information and experience; with all of us, that you have personally gained over the last 20 years+ of your fishing addiction.

I agree with everything that you are saying and hopefully others will follow your experienced lead and that they will be able to recognize and to get on the fishing spots and get the fish landed more often!  Thumbs Up

WTG!

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

thanks so much for sharing your insight!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum