The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

You are not connected. Please login or register

FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM » U.S. Post and Topics » U.S. West Region Introductions and Discussions » Fishing Reports Western Region » 6 Fish Didn't Get The Memo At LAB Today, 9-18-18

6 Fish Didn't Get The Memo At LAB Today, 9-18-18

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SP Dan

Launched at 70th Place LAB BSP, Tuesday 9-18-2018

I conducted a solo session today.

I like to start each session-off by taking a few moments for calming thoughts and to consciously remind myself of how truly BLESSED I am to be here today!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Gray light: 0600 hrs
Miles Kicked On FT: 1.45 miles

Calories Burnt: Approx 599 if we had been walking so I'm going to guess approx 700+ calories burnt today.
Swell: S
Air Temp: 62 deg to 76 deg, clear sky's
Water Temp: 69-70 deg
Session Duration: 0500 hrs until 1030 hrs (5.5 hrs).
Sun Rise: 0637 Hrs, Sun Set: 1854 hrs.
Wind: 0600 hrs 2-mph SW, 1200 hrs 5-mph WSW.
CE: 35 in the morning,  a very low average
Bait Presence: massive amounts of 1-3" shiner bait in the water everywhere.
Sea Dog Presence: 2 to report, one within 10 ft of me!  Shocked I just missed getting it's picture!

Sea Bird Presence: minimal, just a few diving birds
Dolphin Presence: none to report.
Surf: 2-3 ft, Swell: 3 ft, Sec's Between Sets: 7
Large Leaf Kelp Beds: none to report
Tidal Conditions: 0500 hrs  2.9 ft, 0600 hrs 3.3 ft, 0718 hrs HT 3.5 ft, 0800 hrs 3.4 ft, 0900 hrs 3.2 ft, 1000 3.0 ft, 1100 hrs 2.8 ft, ... etc.
Isolunar: Major period from 0632 hrs until 0932 hrs.  <"))><
Note:  The bite actually occurred between 0700 hrs and 0830 hrs (very slow pickings!). I suppose that the 6 fish that DID bite ... didn't get their memo's stating that they weren't supposed to bite anything today!! lol  lol!

Bait used: 3/8 oz Sardine Green Silver, 1/4 oz Sardine Green Silver, 1/4 oz Glow Green and 1/4 oz Mint colored HUB's with Bio-Edge scent along with Hot Sauce.

Equipment used:

Float Tube used: Cumberland FT w/ a DIY rod rack and hard-top lap tray

Fins used: Force Fins

Choice of waders: none, I wear board shorts

Fish Finder used: Deeper Pro+

My (3) rods selected: my B"n"M SharpShooter's, rated 4#-8#, 6', 1-pc.

My (3) reels selected: were (2) two of my Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 reels and (1) one Diawa Ballistic 2500 reel, all spooled with Diawa Samurai #30 braid (8 carrier) line w/ a 5 ft long 12 lb Seaguar InvizX Fluorocarbon leader while using the RP knot to connect (tie) the fluorocarbon and braid together and the Improved Cinch knot for tying-on the bait.

SP Dan's Fish Count: 6 fish total, 3 different species on "SS Stitch":

(4) short Spotty's, the best was a 12"

(1) short Sandy, best was a 7 3/4"

(1) short Sculpin 7 1/2" (Scorpion fish)

Note: I only post one of each species unless there are multi legals, PB's or NS (new species).
PS ... I am a sportsman dedicated to being a 100% CPR (catch, photograph and release) angler.
PSS ... I only show photo's of the fish and not of myself because it's really all about the fish?!    Cool

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to view my posting!   salute    

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Add pic of Sculpin)

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Alakai

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Wow 7-8:30 short window. I see that you tried some new bait today, guessing to change things up a bit when it was a bit slower than normal.

Jerdon

Nice morning at any speed, the sea dog was self concious I suppose.

Thanks for sharing.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

SP Dan

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Wow 7-8:30 short window. I see that you tried some new bait today, guessing to change things up a bit when it was a bit slower than normal.

Hi ya Alahai,
Session Duration: 0500 hrs until 1030 hrs (5.5 hrs). lol
Active bite: 0700 hrs until 0830 hrs, it was a very short window ... indeed!
So I spent most of my session kicking, searching, hunting and trying to figure out their movement pattern and where I'll locate them during the fall season.

It's the 1/4 oz Glow Green/Silver HUB, some times this is the color that they want .... they'll let you know!
One day a while back in LAH, I used this color and landed 44 fish with it in the large leaf kelp beds.
Sometimes .... you've just got to let them show you what they want. So change your bait often and your presentation often until you can figure out the correct winning combination.

Thank you for checking out my fish report,  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

SP Dan

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Nice morning at any speed, the sea dog was self concious I suppose.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanx Jerdon,

Those sea dogs still make me a bit anxious (nervous) especially in the pitch dark of the morning; before the gray light, when they pop their wet, shinny, black bowling-ball of a head up next to me on my Float Tube!  Shocked YIKES!!! lol
Yeah ... it was probably camera shy! lol

SP Dan     <"))><

Alakai

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
Are they dangerous?

SP Dan

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Are they dangerous?

Great question Alakai,

They're not really dangerous to most people, it's more like getting a terrible wasp sting that really hurts for an hour or even days.
I've also heard that some people actually have an allergic reaction to the Sculpin stings!  Shocked So we all need to be extra careful when releasing them!

When they get-cha .... you'll know it!!!  Twisted Evil

SP Dan     <"))><

Alakai

FTFF Member
FTFF Member
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Are they dangerous?

Great question Alakai,

They're not really dangerous to most people, it's more like getting a terrible wasp sting that really hurts for an hour or even days.
I've also heard that some people actually have an allergic reaction to the Sculpin stings!  Shocked So we all need to be extra careful when releasing them!

When they get-cha .... you'll know it!!!  Twisted Evil

SP Dan     <"))><

Sorry I was not clear, I actually meant the sea dogs you were talking about. I assume like harbor seals or something?

SP Dan

Yes .... seals (harbor seals) a.k.a. sea dogs,

I've never heard of anyone getting hurt by a seal.

I have personally had a gang of 5 harbor seals checking me out and they even got below me and raised up from below me raising me up; in my float tube, out of the water a bit! lol
Scared the you-know-what out of me! lol

We are like pool toys out there to them. They are fast, powerful, 200-500 lbs large and at times can be very curious.

SP Dan     <"))><

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum