FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Today at 5:13 pm

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 2 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in I think I am obsessed.
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hookup Hate?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hookup Hate? Empty Hookup Hate? Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So I have been to five different tackle shops, three of which carry Hookup Baits. I am continually looking for a shop that sells them for MSRP at $8.99 so I don't have to buy from them directly especially since now they upped their free shipping to $75.

At every instance when I ask about if the shop has them or not, the salespeople immediately say nearly the same thing. "Those things are just overpriced tube jigs." Without even discussing the price of them I am directed to tube jigs and told to save my money and buy those instead and how this person or that person would fish tubes over HUB any time.

Many of you know I am new to all of this and HUB and Dark Sleepers is all I have ever known, are the stores right? Have others experienced the same level of success with tubes vs HUBs?

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

2Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:44 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

This would be an interesting experiment truly I know one thing when you tie something on that works it gets in your head. The Hookup Bait works no one can deny this, and since it works it builds confidence. The price I don't think will go down as they are a small Mom and Pop operation and so supply and demand will never be met if they put in too many shops. I am certain regular tube jigs will work but I wonder what a side by side comparison would show. My thoughts that HUB would outperform the basic tube jig, but I wonder by how much? I know this does not help the cost but maybe it will help in understanding, fishing is all about confidence in how and what you present and HUB's adds that confident to the end of my line, but the cost can keep it off my line from time to time.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:11 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jeffcpr wrote:This would be an interesting experiment truly I know one thing when you tie something on that works it gets in your head.  The Hookup Bait works no one can deny this, and since it works it builds confidence.  The price I don't think will go down as they are a small Mom and Pop operation and so supply and demand will never be met if they put in too many shops.  I am certain regular tube jigs will work but I wonder what a side by side comparison would show.  My thoughts that HUB would outperform the basic tube jig, but I wonder by how much?  I know this does not help the cost but maybe it will help in understanding, fishing is all about confidence in how and what you present and HUB's adds that confident to the end of my line, but the cost can keep it off my line from time to time.

So I was thinking about this let's breakdown the cost:

Pack of HUB on average is $11.50 by me. I can buy it for $10.99, $11.49 and $11.99 which makes them $3.833 ea

A pack of 5 lead tube hooks is $5.99 = $5.99/5 = $1.198 ea
A tube is $0.70 ea (looking for cheaper but this is the avg cost at the places I saw)
Which makes a tube jig $1.898 ea which makes them roughly twice as expensive.

What is important to note is that the weight in a HUB can be used again and have eyes. The generic weights that I got do not.
Another factor is longevity, the HUBs have been noted to last on average for 10 catches, I have no idea how long a tube bait lasts for but I assume it is less. Will have to test but I need to find tubes that match the colors of the HUBs I use

4Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:47 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is some good math right there and sounds like a good test setup. I would think the generic tube would last a little longer but it all depends on the plastic's used, just my 2 cents. Colors are the other issues not sure you can match them perfectly but you might get close.
I agree on the eyes on the HUB jig heads are important and can be argued that might make the difference. But I still think the HUB is a tube that works and it is proven.

5Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

You have to remember that the job of the person in the tackle store is to get you to buy something they do have, not send you away with money still in your pocket.

Like Jeff was saying, Hookup Baits is a family business and he's been doing great selling them directly off his website. There's not a lot of motivation for him start cutting his profits by selling wholesale to retailers. Plus, scaling up production is expensive because they're basically hand made. So I'm not surprised at the retail situation.

I will probably try fooling around with tube baits, but as Chad says in one of the videos, I believe that realistic eyes make a big difference and so by the time you add eyes and screw around with everything, generic tube baits lose some of the appeal.

They do offer deals on shipping from time to time and so one way to keep the cost down is to be on their mailing list and keep track of promotions.

Keep on hooking them up!

6Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ornery Bob wrote:You have to remember that the job of the person in the tackle store is to get you to buy something they do have, not send you away with money still in your pocket.

Like Jeff was saying, Hookup Baits is a family business and he's been doing great selling them directly off his website. There's not a lot of motivation for him start cutting his profits by selling wholesale to retailers. Plus, scaling up production is expensive because they're basically hand made. So I'm not surprised at the retail situation.

I will probably try fooling around with tube baits, but as Chad says in one of the videos, I believe that realistic eyes make a big difference and so by the time you add eyes and screw around with everything, generic tube baits lose some of the appeal.

They do offer deals on shipping from time to time and so one way to keep the cost down is to be on their mailing list and keep track of promotions.

Keep on hooking them up!

Totally agree. Thing is that the people talking the worst about HUBs are the stores that actually stock them. The more they have in stock the more they tried to steer me away from buying them. Don't really get it, they sacrificed buying several packs of HUB over $2 set ups of tubes.
I also bought some 3" Big Hammers and heads to try as well.

I went to another store today that are actually selling a generic version of the HUBs. So what do they do? They are more expensive, could not believe it at $3.59 each

7Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I've caught plenty of fish on swimbaits, that's for sure. I would recommend you try underspin jig heads with the keitech fat swing impact bodies. They're softer than big hammers and they catch more fish in my experience.

One thing that I believe helps is to keep tension on the line as the bait drops. The reason is that it keeps the bait from nose diving straight down. I think a more natural drop where the bait drifts down at an angle gets more bites. Of course, it depends on how deep the water is, but in the local harbors here you're only talking 15 to 20 feet, so it's no big deal.

Good luck out there!

8Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:30 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ornery Bob wrote:I've caught plenty of fish on swimbaits, that's for sure. I would recommend you try underspin jig heads with the keitech fat swing impact bodies. They're softer than big hammers and they catch more fish in my experience.

One thing that I believe helps is to keep tension on the line as the bait drops. The reason is that it keeps the bait from nose diving straight down. I think a more natural drop where the bait drifts down at an angle gets more bites. Of course, it depends on how deep the water is, but in the local harbors here you're only talking 15 to 20 feet, so it's no big deal.

Thanks for the advice will give it a try, I was told last night that I will have Sat morning free again so I need to check stuff and bringing out all my new bait to try.

Good luck out there!

9Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:41 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Quick Math all depending on where you are getting your HUBs from. As I mentioned, I can get them for $10.99 , $11.49, $11.99

If you buy them online they are $8.99 plus shipping so a quick breakdown is

Buy 4 they are $10.715 ea
Buy 5 they are $10.37 ea <-- They would have been shipped free here but not the case any longer

So in order to save some money you will need to buy 5 to beat the local retail and get your HUBs

I notice they go on sale for 15% off frequently and with that discount you can get 3 packs at a cost of $9.9415

10Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:51 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Saturday would work for me. Tides and solunar are not the best, but you can't catch fish at home, ever, so we fish when we can!

You say you've been launching out of Mothers, so how about mixing it up. Let's launch out of 69th place and work the incoming tide. I'll show you all the secret spots. Razz

You can park in the lot at 72nd, so bring quarters.

The low tidal coefficient makes it a slow water day, so perfect for anyone new who wants to come along!

11Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:55 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ornery Bob wrote:Saturday would work for me. Tides and solunar are not the best, but you can't catch fish at home, ever, so we fish when we can!

You say you've been launching out of Mothers, so how about mixing it up. Let's launch out of 69th place and work the incoming tide. I'll show you all the secret spots. Razz

The low tidal coefficient makes it a slow water day, so perfect for anyone new who wants to come along!

Right on Bob thanks for doing this you and SP Dan have been all over the support of our new member's thanks so much guys.

12Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ornery Bob wrote:Saturday would work for me. Tides and solunar are not the best, but you can't catch fish at home, ever, so we fish when we can!

I was just going to post up in the invite area, is that here?

13Hookup Hate? Empty Re: Hookup Hate? Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:25 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I think he is referring to the lot just below the spot you market. That spot is the Yacht Club spot, this is a great fishing spot you will like it very much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum