FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Today at 7:08 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BigMaxFloats Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

ABS Rod Holder system and transducer positioning

+4
Hunt
Alakai
Jerdon
jplee3
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey all,

Was curious what your thoughts on are positioning of a transducer. I got a Garmin Striker Plus 4cv recently and am thinking about where to rig it off the rod holder system I'm building out. I plan to place it on my left-hand side but not sure if it should go in the front or back (the front-left seems to be where most have theirs mounted from what I've seen in pictures.)

I stumbled across this article here where the guy mounts his transducer perpendicular and facing outwards. I guess because he says his mark shapes come out more desirable:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm not sure if that's a limitation with his transducer where he has to do that to get the "bananas" or if that's universally the same for all transducers even the newer ones.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards placing the transducer on the front left as well, and with the ability to swivel it up and out of the way.

What do you guys think? I want to get some input before I glue everything together and end up *facepalming* myself because I didn't take something into consideration...

EDIT: I think it actually would only work on the front left based on the way I have the "swivel" set up - it's basically a FIPT to MIPT ABS coupling adapter that you screw on. The way it screws on, clockwise, would only work in this position because of it's placement...at least, that's what I've observed.

Anyway, here are some pics of the setup...

With the transducer down in position:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With the transducer up and out of position:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I will likely use a hook/loop or drill a hole in the coupling and use a thumbscrew to tighten everything down so it doesn't slip around.... maybe even a round wire lock pin. I'll have it set so that when it's down in position though it'll be tight, so I may not need to worry as much about this.

Oh, and I'm planning to build a similar holder for the right-hand side too but it shouldn't be as complex as I'm not planning to place the fish finder or transducer on that side.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

That looks great and you might be showing us what's best.
I like having the monitor close like that because I am always watching it. As you fish you learn what your preference will be and you will change your mind on some things.

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The only thing I don't like is how for most parts I'm locking myself in pretty permanently. Having a modular system that can break down into smaller pieces would be ideal. I'm think the threaded couplers/adapters might be worth considering more so in other areas. I'm getting tired of running around back and forth between Lowes and Home Depot though LOL

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

there are screw pieces?? I've been cementing it all down

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Yea:

1.5" FIPT/Female Adapter

1.5" MIPT/Male Adapter

The only concern I'd have is if the threads ever get stripped from constant screwing/unscrewing and eventually things start becoming loose and or misaligned. But I doubt that would be a major concern. You'd just have to make sure to screw everything on as tight as possible if there are pieces that are glued. I don't think you'd want to assemble one of these with *all* threaded parts though. Perhaps these would be useful for the rod holder portions or any other portion that you might want to have swivel. Keep in mind that these threaded parts are not actually intended to be used as "swivels" though since at some point they could completely unscrew - the likelihood of that happening seems slim... what is probably likelier to happen is that they rotate out of position when you may not want them to.

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

hmmm introduces some interesting flexibility though, between fresh and salt water holders. Have a threaded lock in the middle and change out the front or back half depending on the fishing you are going to do...

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Alakai wrote:hmmm introduces some interesting flexibility though, between fresh and salt water holders. Have a threaded lock in the middle and change out the front or back half depending on the fishing you are going to do...

True... curious but what are some examples of what you would specifically change out though?

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

When I have gone, fresh water need more sleeper rods. Maybe longer use a five hole over a four? IDK interesting that it is an option now

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Not to revive an old thread but, the transducer in front is good but if you have side imaging you would need to put it toward the back so your legs and fins aren't in the way (not that you have side imaging with that system). Remember to always level the transducer in both directions. Leveling front to back on land will probably not be level on the water.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

Floatingbassturd

Floatingbassturd
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I used a pvc threaded compression fitting for my transducer arm. That way you don't have to worry about threads stretching and it getting looser over time. Just a half turn and the arm moves wherever you want it then tighten back up.

Kathy

Kathy
FTFF Gathering Officer

I have mine on the left.. Cast on my right..

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I now have mine behind me the rods lean to the left as I can right as well.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

It seems to me their was a post showing a bendable neck, looked like a string of large beads. Was that you Jerdon? I believe it had to do with camera mounting. Have you given it a thought? I always had problems with glare on the screen, having to turn the tube away from the sun...............GT

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum